Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

AA on Bautista, Romero, JJ and friends

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...-for-a-reason/

The TLDR version:

On Romero:

“He’s going to get a clean slate again next spring,” Anthopoulos said. “Very good chance he comes off of the roster in the off-season. I told him that ahead of time, just for the 40-man spot. He’ll come in next spring, he’ll come in and compete and hopefully he’ll start fresh and he can get it turned around.”
    Bautista:

“You never know where discussions will lead, but we’re very reluctant to move our better players and you would do everything you can to make deals without having to talk about those guys,” Anthopoulos said.

He went on to explain that trading a star player such as Bautista would solve one problem while creating another.
    JJ:

Anthopoulos expects to make a decision on whether to extend Josh Johnson a qualifying offer by early to mid-October. By then the Blue Jays will have more information about the prospective free agent’s health.
    And I figured I'd throw this one in here:

Asked to cite a lesson learned from the Blue Jays’ disappointing season, Anthopoulos pointed to the importance of defence.

“I think there are just certain things we probably didn’t discuss enough,” he said. “We were focused on the rotation, and talked about adding a lot of innings, which was important, but I don’t know that we talked enough about the defence.”
    And if you're wondering, the Jays aren't planning on making Goins the 2B next year.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    At least he didn't give JPA an endorsement :-)

vCash
    But I find AA and the media don't talk enough about finding a better catcher. Worries me.

vCash
    The media does talk about JPA, lets not forget about Zaun and Hayhurst. If something is that obvious to Zaun imagine how AA feels. The JPA gamble has been a failure, if AA doesn't find a replacement he should be fired.

vCash
    Arencibia is the biggest liability defensivley on this team. If AA wants to fix defense first start with a catcher. A catcher that can get the most out of his pitchers

vCash
    The defence starts with the catcher. He's the backbone and sets the tone defensively. Look at the Royals and Perez. Since he's been there they've been very good defensively. You need to play well all over, but it starts with the catcher. First game of the year JP blew with poor defence and he's been at it ever since. He set the tone for the defence alright, but in a negative way. Without a replacement for JP, I don't see this defence getting much better.

vCash
    Yeah JPA doesn't set the tone for anything other than the pitcher and blocking/caught stealings/framings. Let's not blame JPA for Izturis/Bonifacio and others playing poor defence.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

vCash
    I'm not sure who's available as a good defensive catcher, but picking up a 2b and 1b/DH/LF who can mash would let them get away with an offensive hole at C.

Things will always work out in the end, but if you want them to turn out a certain way... You need to make it happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I'm not sure who's available as a good defensive catcher, but picking up a 2b and 1b/DH/LF who can mash would let them get away with an offensive hole at C.
    Infante is a FA and sign Abreu then some pitchers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Yeah JPA doesn't set the tone for anything other than the pitcher and blocking/caught stealings/framings. Let's not blame JPA for Izturis/Bonifacio and others playing poor defence.
    very true but i think the things he can and does affect are pretty huge in their own right. if there is absolutely one hole we are going to fill this off-season i don't think anything would have a greater impact than a new catcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    I'd say starting pitching would be the priority, but yes C and 2B need to be addressed as well.

vCash
    the starting pitching has been our downfall without question. i find it hard to imagine a season like this past one repeating itself though. it's possible but i think we could play this season out 10 times without having it turn out this way again. the catcher however is a consistent issue that we've seen clearly won't be changing anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    the starting pitching has been our downfall without question. i find it hard to imagine a season like this past one repeating itself though. it's possible but i think we could play this season out 10 times without having it turn out this way again. the catcher however is a consistent issue that we've seen clearly won't be changing anytime soon.
    True, then again I thought last year was as worst as it could get in terms of pitching, then this year happened, you never know what's going to happen in a season.

vCash
    you know, as stupid as this may sound, feel free to bash me for this, but now that i think about it... The trades from last year actually didnt turn out that bad for us..

RA could have a 15 win season, and Buerhle could reach around 12-13, and had the team been better earler on in teh season, RA could of had a 20 win season and Buerhle could've had 15. Now yes, Johnson was a complete bust, but you know what, at least we can say we had Josh Johnson on our team and never have to play the 'what if' game.

Reyes is Reyes, we'll love him until the day we trade him away..

so, Buerhle,Dickey,Reyes turned out to be good. Johnson & Bonifacio didnt.
    JETS
    MAPLE LEAFS
    RAPTORS
    BLUE JAYS
    BENGALS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhorvath View Post
    you know, as stupid as this may sound, feel free to bash me for this, but now that i think about it... The trades from last year actually didnt turn out that bad for us..

RA could have a 15 win season, and Buerhle could reach around 12-13, and had the team been better earler on in teh season, RA could of had a 20 win season and Buerhle could've had 15. Now yes, Johnson was a complete bust, but you know what, at least we can say we had Josh Johnson on our team and never have to play the 'what if' game.

Reyes is Reyes, we'll love him until the day we trade him away..

so, Buerhle,Dickey,Reyes turned out to be good. Johnson & Bonifacio didnt.
    I don't necessarily agree with the tools by which you're measuring the pitching performances, but I agree with the sentiment that is being expressed.

RA seems to have found the knuckler again and could come in and be a great #2 next season
    MB seems to have found a groove here in Toronto and has been nothing less than phenomenal even with his 85 MPH fastball in the second half.
    Reyes has been what should be expected outside of the 2 month injury.

Overall these 3 acquisitions will make the team better in 2014. You have to think that this season is an outlier for Dickey and that we'll see his ERA sink closer to the past two seasons next year. He may not be the Cy Young winner again, but you have to think that next season he will at least be decent.

3 premier major leaguers for a bunch of scrubs, a guy who may not stick at his position, and Noah Syndergaard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast