Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: 2014

vCash

So I'm not ready to throw in the towel on 2013 quite yet, but the O's are not playing good baseball right now. Unless we go on a tear these next few weeks, our playoff odds look slim at best. so again, not giving up, but what do you guys envision happening in 2014 for the O's?

Here is my checklist:

1. Extend Davis (5-6 year, 65-80 million contract) Roberts is off the books after this yearn and Markakis is gone (at least his big contract will be) after 2014. We have the money.

2. Extend Machado- Try to buy out all of his arbitration years and at least 1 free agent year, if not more. I'm not going to estimate a figure since I honestly have no clue. I would love a Longoria type deal where we get a lot of team control. That would be key because I fear the day we may no longer be able to afford him.

3. Get another starter. We may have to pony up and get someone like Garza, but we are hurting in the SP department. We need an anchor. Tillman is a borderline #2 at best, and he cannot be our ace if we expect to compete with the big guys. I doubt we would pony up Gausman or Bundy in a trade for a starter, but if someone like Chris Sale became available, I'd at least listen.

4. Figure out what to do with Jim Johnson. He is going to get a huge raise this year and I don;t see the O's paying that much money for saves. I think Tommy Hunter could step in. He is a bulldog that can almost hit triple digits, I think he should be our closer in 2014. I love Jim Johnson, but I believe his time in Charm City is quickly running out. We could do a lot more with the 10 ish million we would save. Like get a starter. Maybe he has a little bit of trade value.

5. Determine the path with JJ Hardy. Do we plan on shifting Machado back to short after his contract expires at the end of next year? Will we trade him in the off season and move Machado for 2014? Will we extend him and keep Machado at 3B for the foreseeable future? I'm not sure, I love his defense and how him and Machado lock down the left side of the infield. Maybe we sign Chase Headley and move Hardy or Machado to 2B for a year? Or trade Hardy?

6. Sign a bounce back candidate starter and bullpen piece. Maybe one of them will turn into a lottery ticket. The type of gambles we need to be making to stay competitive.

7. Figure out the DH situation. Not sure Urrutia is a full time player or not. I believe Betemit has his contract up. Not saying we need a full time masher, but I want some options and platoons off the bench to make our DH situation a strength instead of a glaring weakness.

8. Keep BRob or give Schoop the reigns? Maybe B Rob would be nice and take a league minimum contract? He has made 40 million over the past 4 years and missed most of it. I would like to have him back, but as more of a platoon/bench type player.

9. What do we do with McLouth? Resign him? What is he worth? I don't want to be shelling 8 million or more to him over multiple years. I wonder what he is looking for.

10. Find our RF of the future. Markakis is a free agent after next year and unless he is willing to take a significant pay cut, I don't see him staying here.

11. Re-sign Wei Yin Chen? He switched to the Boras corporation recently and we have a 4.75 mill option for 2015 on him. Maybe he can stop getting blown up in his last inning of work and we can look into this.

vCash
    We need 2 or even 3 proven starting pitching.
    Morse needs to go.
    Weiters needs a long term deal.
    Another big bat would be great but I'm not sure where you are going to play them since Buck doesn't like full time DHs.
    Some good luck in one run games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lasthe View Post
    We need 2 or even 3 proven starting pitching.
    Morse needs to go.
    Weiters needs a long term deal.
    Another big bat would be great but I'm not sure where you are going to play them since Buck doesn't like full time DHs.
    Some good luck in one run games.
    i think we have a decent balanced rotation, and 2-3 starters might be too many. Bud Norris, Chen, Tillman and Gonzalez are here to stay. So that is 4 right there. I think we need an ace so we can bump all those guys down to face competition that isn't as stiff. It's ridiculous when we have Hammel going against Price or Gonzalez against Lester. Especially in a playoff game, we need an ace. If we had one, I think our rotation would fall into place much better than it has.

I'm ok with Morse walking unless we can get him for 3-5 million to be a platoon guy.

I would be interested in seeing what a Wieters extension would look like, i just don't see it happening.

And good luck in 1 run games would be awesome. Amazing how we did last year and how bad we are in those this year, Crazy game.

vCash
    Wieters needs to hit better before we start talking extension. Though Boras is sure to go with what LaRussa once said about Yadier Molina, along the lines of "we'd still start him if he had no hits for the year because of his ability as a catcher."

Morse coming back on the cheap to be the DH/utility guy, I would be all for that. The cost has to be right.

I would bring back McLouth. Good defense, good speed, team player, if the extension is $5 million per year, even better.

The bullpen needs more depth. Last year, we were VERY deep, and that wasn't the case this year. Given that, I am not sure if they let Johnson walk, but I could see them trading him to another team for a younger arm or two. I would be confident in Hunter closing games out, but then who gets us there? Lots of questions to answer, and bullpen arms get overpaid on the FA market.

Starting pitching is where our biggest question is. Gonzalez, Tillman and Chen are here. They are almost interchangeable as 2-4 starters on a competitive team. Some view Bud Norris as a better reliever due to his pitches, and that could be the route we go. I also can't see us spending the money it would take to bring in a frontline starter via FA. I also don't think Matt Garza is that guy- I've always thought him extremely overrated, and more of a 2/3 starter depending on the team.

I also have my own thoughts on Gausman, though the potential for both him and Bundy to be mainstays of our rotation for years is too enticing to act on it. He really has two pitches right now, and if his slider doesn't come around, he's essentially another Tommy Hunter. If I HAD to trade one of them for a pitcher, it would be Gausman, but I would rather us wait on them to see what comes through.

vCash
    I think it's over.
    I think a different approach towards hitting would benefit this team in the later months. How many scoreless innings did we see in TB alone? Poor pitch selection, not working deep inot the counts, this free-swinging mentality has it's days but in crucnh time, it fails. This would address the so-called "luck" in close games. With better pitching next year (we have a lot of young arms) with the addition of a true #1, the team would be elevated immensely.
    If a few pitchers can take the next step, they'll be tough. There's a great nucleus and not many changes are in need IMO. Gausman should be counted to start next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    I think it's over.
    I think a different approach towards hitting would benefit this team in the later months. How many scoreless innings did we see in TB alone? Poor pitch selection, not working deep inot the counts, this free-swinging mentality has it's days but in crucnh time, it fails. This would address the so-called "luck" in close games. With better pitching next year (we have a lot of young arms) with the addition of a true #1, the team would be elevated immensely.
    If a few pitchers can take the next step, they'll be tough. There's a great nucleus and not many changes are in need IMO. Gausman should be counted to start next year.
    Well, the undisciplined approach cost us a number of games I personally attended this year. It's 162 games, but they all count. The fact that Jones and Machado, oftentimes hitting any combination of 2-4 barely took pitches, much less walks, really hurt us. In July, that was the worst time for us I think.

I also think that keeping McLouth, and adding another guy with some speed to help jump-start things on the basepaths couldn't hurt either.

How do you recommend the team go after a #1? I am curious to see what you and others think, because I can't see the team splurging for a FA with $100 million plus (and I really don't want Garza.) The Phillies apparently wanted a package of top prospects for Cliff Lee, and I can't see us trading both Gausman and Bundy (and they also wanted Schoop.) Maybe that price goes down in the off-season, but Lee is one of the premier options. What they wanted may set the off-season market.

As for Gausman, I woudn't count on him if he can't work on his slider. He's going to get demolished the second time he goes around the order again. I would definitely give him another season in the minors to really work on that.

vCash
    I thought about an idea today. Shin Shoo Choo is expected to egt a contract in the 4/5 year 48-70 million range. Why don;t we trade Markakis, eat the money, and get a prospect, and look to sign Choo? Markkais is not the answer in RF. Love the guy, but he isn;t that great. He can;t hit, and his defense has diminizxhed. He still has a good arm, but he is not the gold glove filder he was.

Choo has a good OBP, can hit leadoff, and does a little bit of everything.

Sign him.
    McLouth, 2 years 10 mill
    Get another good pitcher, please.

Trade Jim Johnson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    I thought about an idea today. Shin Shoo Choo is expected to egt a contract in the 4/5 year 48-70 million range. Why don;t we trade Markakis, eat the money, and get a prospect, and look to sign Choo? Markkais is not the answer in RF. Love the guy, but he isn;t that great. He can;t hit, and his defense has diminizxhed. He still has a good arm, but he is not the gold glove filder he was.

Choo has a good OBP, can hit leadoff, and does a little bit of everything.

Sign him.
    McLouth, 2 years 10 mill
    Get another good pitcher, please.

Trade Jim Johnson.
    I'm late returning to the party, but Choo is expected to get well over $100 million now, especially with Boras as his agent and using the baseline from the Werth and Crawford deals. Choo is also 30, and spending well over $100 million for the downswing of his career isn't worth it to a team that does not have deep pockets.