Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Game week

vCash

Game week

This isn't meant to be the game thread but I know that Lets Go gets a little busy at times so I figured until he gets the game thread up we can talk on here about GAME WEEK and that its finally HERE. Sorry I can't LGB I am this pumped for Browns football and the eventual 5-11 possible hope of the 6-10 season haha.

It’s only one game, but …

… Sunday’s encounter with the Miami Dolphins is the regular-season opener.

… it is at home.

… it is the tone-setter for the rest of the year.

… it is the game the Browns have lost in each of the last eight seasons and 13 times in 14 season-openers since their return to Cleveland.

… it precedes the daunting challenge of back-to-back games at Baltimore and Minnesota.

… it is the first meaningful opportunity to reinforce the notion that, under new ownership and management, things really have changed for the better.

Yes, that’s a heck of a lot weight to place on a single game. No, it doesn’t seem fair to the coaches or the players, many of whom have no part in the franchise’s dreary history of season-opening games or multiple years of losing records.

For that matter, it isn’t all that fair to team owner Jimmy Haslam or chief executive officer Joe Banner, the leaders of what is being sold, and largely bought, as the new-and-improved Browns.

But it is the reality of the situation, and everyone connected with the organization recognizes as much. D’Qwell Jackson, who has been a linebacker for the Browns since 2006 and is as familiar with the incredible passion of their fans and their desperation for success as anyone, acknowledged to reporters Monday how vital it is to win on Sunday.

Win, and the Browns truly do start putting the “right” in all of that “we’re-headed-in-the-right-direction” talk we’ve been hearing for months.

Lose, and the door gets swung wide open for unpleasant questions.

It’s that simple, although it shouldn’t be.

Despite the frustration from all of those previous season-openers, winning this one won’t necessarily erase the past just as losing it won’t necessarily mean we’re in for the same-old, same-old.

Coach Rob Chudzinski, his staff, and his players can’t allow themselves to get caught up in the ramifications from Sunday’s outcome because of those 15 other dates on the schedule. Recognizing its importance is one thing. Giving it make-or-break treatment is a huge mistake in a league where so much can change from one minute, let alone one game, to the next.

They’re wise to leave the over-reaction and over-analysis to everyone else.

In other words, they’re the ones who can say, “It’s only one game.” And the rest of us can feel free to add the “… but …”
    Some stuff from Vic that I respect. Nothing major.

- Can't wait to see the Cameron Wake vs Joe Thomas/Mitchell Schwartz battles. I don't expect much from Dion Jordan week 1.

- Can't wait for the Joe Haden vs Mike Wallace battle.

- Can't wait to see how Horton unleashes Ward on some of these packages.

- Can't wait to see a healthy TRich and him totting the rock 25-30 times and wearing and grinding down Miami's line.

- Can't wait to see how comfortable and hopefully how much Week 1 looks better than Week 1 last year for Weeds in a better system, better coaching and a full year in the NFL. Hopefully he can slip some pressure and find Little, Bess, Benjamin and Cameron.

- Can't wait to HOPEFULLY not have a HC on the sidelines that seems like the game is moving way to quick for him.

- CANT WAIT. STAND UP CLEVELAND AND LETS GET READY. This forum has been dead for a while. Lets get this thing back up and going and show the rest of PSD why Browns fans are the best in the NFL.

CAN MY DREAMS BECOME MY REALITY?

vCash

Browns getting some national love with the pics all be it against Miami. This is a thing of beauty.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/9/4...fl-2013-week-1

vCash
    This is a decent preview - http://espncleveland.com/common/more...&post_id=21741

Found this interesting:
    WR Mike Wallace: One of the fastest wideouts in the NFL – and one of the priciest free agents of the 2013 transaction season – he never really beat the Browns with Pittsburgh. In seven games as a Steeler, he averaged 20.8 yards on 16 receptions, with only two touchdowns.

vCash

Game week

One area of concern, I remember reading that Miami likes to blitz their ILB's alot. With guard as the weak spot on the line and with two starting guards out, I am curious to see how this will effect the game. Hopefully Weeden isn't caught making bad decisions if there is a big push in his face.
    Really interested to see how good Sheard looks as well as Ward in the scheme. I would do horrible things to see Ward come in free on a blitz and just destroy Tannehill.

vCash
    I can't wait!!!! Hurry up Sunday!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 43ScaresMe View Post
    One area of concern, I remember reading that Miami likes to blitz their ILB's alot. With guard as the weak spot on the line and with two starting guards out, I am curious to see how this will effect the game. Hopefully Weeden isn't caught making bad decisions if there is a big push in his face.
    Really interested to see how good Sheard looks as well as Ward in the scheme. I would do horrible things to see Ward come in free on a blitz and just destroy Tannehill.
    Only really have 1 starting Guard out though as Greco was going to man LG after he got his new contract. Yes they rotated during camp but they weren't giving Greco that extension and not starting him. He needs to play better though than he did in the Preseason but most of the time he got beat was by interior lineman that were faster/more agile than him aka Nick Fairley.

As for the blitzing, Ellerbe isn't really known as a ILB that gets after the QB so I am not too worried about him but Wheeler could make some noise coming inside off of Starks or Soliai. Miami runs a 4-3 btw so they will only have 1 ILB in on most situations. Either way you look at it though the Interior of the line with Greco, Mack and Cousins are going to need to step up as Miami has a very good front 7 and two very good DT's.

vCash
    Browns Prediction Week One: Browns Win 24-22
    Weeden 15-27 216 yds 2 TD 2 Int
    TRich 26-82 1TD
    Little 4-70
    Cameron 6-61 1TD
    Bess 2-18 yds. 1TD
    Benjamin 1-42 yds
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

vCash
    Tweets from Ray's Weekly PC:

Scott Petrak ct ‏ @ ScottPetrak 52s

# Browns DC Ray Horton: I'm anxious, nervous, excited. All rolled into one.
    Fred Greetham ‏ @ FredGreethamOBR 21s

# Browns Horton said RCB has always been settled for him. "We believe we have 3 starting corners in Haden, Skrine and Owens."
    Nate Ulrich ‏ @ NateUlrichABJ 4s

# Browns DC Ray Horton said # Dolphins WR Brian Hartline is very savvy, crafty guy, got a lot of respect for him.
    Fred Greetham ‏ @ FredGreethamOBR 1m

# Browns Horton said he reacts to what he sees the Dolphins will doing in terms of who will play inside or outside at cb
    Tom Withers ‏ @ twithersAP 37s

# Browns DC Ray Horton says his defense will react to opponents' offense. "We just play football."
    Nate Ulrich ‏ @ NateUlrichABJ 29s

# Browns DC Ray Horton said # Dolphins WR Mike Wallace is one of the fastest guys in # NFL if not THE fastest.
    Nate Ulrich ‏ @ NateUlrichABJ 1m

# Browns DC Ray Horton said he thinks # Dolphins lost something critical in what they did in past by trading WR Davone Bess to CLE.
    Dave Chudowsky ‏ @ DaveChudowsky 46s

One key to the game on Sunday will be the Dolphins speed. Lot of talk in Berea today about the speed of Tannehill and Wallace # Browns
    Fred Greetham ‏ @ FredGreethamOBR 2m

# Browns Horton said Mingo has shown he can rush the QB and he played well in preseason and hopes he can resume that when he gets back
    Tom Withers ‏ @ twithersAP 1m

Horton on Barkevious Mingo: "He'll come back and he'll play when his body allows him to." # Browns
    Steve Doerschuk ‏ @ sdoerschukREP 1m

DC Horton "very, very happy" with his top three corners. Says Tannehill "was able to mature" in '12. Watched every snap Tannehill took.
    Mary Kay Cabot ‏ @ MaryKayCabot 2m

# Browns Horton on Ryan Tannehill: "What I'm most impressed with is his poise..good touch on his passes..1 of young QBs on rise.''
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN 30s

"Everybody wants to be the Baltimore Ravens now; were trying to build something here and you have to have something to build on" - Horton
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN 44s

"Our defense, we'll make no excuses and try to go out there and play the best ball that we can" - Horton

Horton was talking to you. "I'm excited to put our product out there for the fans."
    Fred Greetham ‏ @ FredGreethamOBR 57s

# Browns Horton said part of the defenses strength is they have a lot of players who can play a lot of positions.
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN 30s

"1 of the things u can't measure is his competitive fire; he's got a lot 2 prove 2 a lot of people on the football field" - Horton on Kruger

We asked Ray Horton about Paul Kruger. "He is on a mission ... he had six sacks in the playoffs and wants to show people he can play here."
    Fred Greetham ‏ @ FredGreethamOBR 28s

# Browns Horton said he feels Kruger is on a mission to be one of the best in the league.
    Brian Dulik ‏ @ BrianDulik 34s

Listening to # Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton makes me want to go out and run on the field. Very impressive mind and motivator. # NFL
    Mary Kay Cabot ‏ @ MaryKayCabot9m
    # browns LB barkevious Mingo going through pre-game sprints. (Bruised lung).

Mary Kay Cabot ‏ @ MaryKayCabot 2m
    # Browns Mingo doing some linebacker drills today. No pads. Running and cutting through cones, catching the ball.
    Just reading quotes from Horton makes me want to put pads on again and hit somebody. Very impressive individual and very hard nosed.

vCash
    Norvs weekly PC:

Steve Doerschuk ‏ @ sdoerschukREP 35m

Norv: "Weeden has worked awfully hard. Performed at a nice level in the preseason. This is totally different deal. "

More Norv: "So many factors that go into it that are out of Brandon's control. It starts with me doing my job."

Norv on no Gordon: "We have a plan. We've worked it hard. We want to make big plays. Right now, we have to get them from someone else."
    Steve Doerschuk ‏ @ sdoerschukREP 33m

Turner says Ogbonnaya will "have to take some pressure off Trent," apparently as relief back rather than fullback in some cases.
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN 35m

"We're working hard to get the 2 young runners up to speed; we're counting on Ogbonnaya to help take the load off Trent" - Norv on RB depth
    Steve Doerschuk ‏ @ sdoerschukREP 30m

Has Norv seen enough of Bobby Rainey to guess he might fill the Dion Lewis role? “I have not.”
    Nate Ulrich ‏ @ NateUlrichABJ 37m

# Browns OC Norv Turner on whether WRs Bess & Benjamin can hold down fort with Gordon out. "They have to," Turner said.
    Steve Doerschuk ‏ @ sdoerschukREP 32m

Bess, Benjamin have been “practicing at a high level,” Turner says. Notes Bess “missed quite a bit of practice” previously.
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN 37m

"You hope the guys get better, that everyone gets better not just the quarterback" - Norv on # Browns not adding much offensively but D. Bess
    Nate Ulrich ‏ @ NateUlrichABJ 34m

# Browns OC Norv Turner said we've got to move WR Davone Bess around, not just in slot.
    Steve Doerschuk ‏ @ sdoerschukREP 31m

Norv on O-line injury sub: “Oniel (Cousins) has done a good job of adjusting at right guard. He’s a physical presence in there.”
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN 35m

"Miami is an outstanding def. front; they're going to test us; we're going to have to find ways to get everyone involved offensively" - Norv
    Nate Ulrich ‏ @ NateUlrichABJ 36m

# Browns OC Norv Turner said # Dolphins LDE Cameron Wake capable of having major impact & we need to account for him.
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN 31m

Norv said that his role was to help evaluate; # Browns have players he likes and thinks can be good players - ref to Weeden
    Some takeaways:

- He has confidence in weeden, kid has worked hard. Totally different approach this year and the results may show.

- He had a hand in cutting the average talent that some fans are up in arms about - didnt think Jackson or Davis were critical to success or depth.

- OBY appears to be our Swiss Army knife - dual role of full back and spelling Richardson. So they have someone who does know about the pass protections schemes and hot reads (and can catch), that should silence some folks who were quite upset about that ordeal.

- WRs have no choice but to step up

vCash
    With Gordon out, who is gonna get the most looks?

vCash
    As I do every year and have called it for 4 years straight (clap calp clap) I will call the Browns record this year. Cleveland will finish this year ...

7-9

good luck!!!

Representing that 330!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousbig21 View Post
    With Gordon out, who is gonna get the most looks?
    Would not be surprised to see TE Jordan Cameron getting the most looks on Sunday. Not only does Gordon being out help this but Chud/Norv love to get their TE's involved a lot. Can see Cameron lining up outside, in the slot and inline where he might be able to find some mismatches against Miami's LB's and CB's at times.

After that I would assume Bess will get the next most targets and then Little.

vCash
    I can't wait for this game. I'm going to a bachelor party Saturday night up in Cleveland and staying for the game Sunday. I haven't been to a home opener in a while so saying I'm excited would be an understatement. I think we have a good chance to win but we'll certainly have to come out strong. I'm hoping our front 7 and Ray Horton can take advantage of the weaknesses along their O-line and allow us to cause some turnovers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    I can't wait for this game. I'm going to a bachelor party Saturday night up in Cleveland and staying for the game Sunday. I haven't been to a home opener in a while so saying I'm excited would be an understatement. I think we have a good chance to win but we'll certainly have to come out strong. I'm hoping our front 7 and Ray Horton can take advantage of the weaknesses along their O-line and allow us to cause some turnovers.
    I hadn't really thought too much about it...but I think that he is key for this game. His willingness to be more aggressive with defensive calls excites me. I don't see him going into a shell if we get a lead, I see him doing more of whatever it took to get the lead. All too many times in the past we have had leads only to watch them disappear with the "Prevent Defense". The ONLY way I want to see the Prevent this year is if we are up by 20+. If you get up on a team, STEP ON THEIR THROAT!!!