Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Hawks sign Crawford to 6-year Extension

The Chicago Blackhawks announced Monday that the club has agreed to terms with goaltender Corey Crawford on a six-year contract extension. Financial terms were not disclosed. Crawford, who helped the Blackhawks capture the Stanley Cup in June, signed the contract papers on his day with the trophy.
    This came out out of nowhere...will be interesting to see the $$$. Should be less than Howard.

EDIT: 6/$36 per Kuc, YUCK!
    Last edited by Assman22; 09-02-2013 at 11:06 AM.

vCash
    I love Corey, but at 6 mil a year this will create serious issues with keeping our core together. Unless Toews and Kane take serious discounts to stay I don't see how we keep our core together after this season.

vCash
    Wow...$6 mil? Too much for Crawford. Too much for the Blackhawks system. Cap better be going up again in a big way...soon.

vCash
    This makes me sad
    Cutlerized

vCash
    Have we not learned you shouldn't and dont need to pay goalies like that by now?

vCash
    Ugh...WAY too much money! I love Corey but $6 million? No way. The cap better go up A LOT next off-season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieKid17 View Post
    Ugh...WAY too much money! I love Corey but $6 million? No way. The cap better go up A LOT next off-season.

They would have been thrilled to pay $3.5 million a year, might have been willing to pay $4.75 a year, but ARE insane to pay $6.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by swanekj View Post

They would have been thrilled to pay $3.5 million a year, might have been willing to pay $4.75 a year, but ARE insane to pay $6.

I'd have gone 5 on a shorter term. I thought the whole point of having Crawford as our goalie was that we wouldn't have to pay him like a top goalie. That he was someone that would look good in front of a good defense but wouldn't take over games. I think that's worth $4.5 million a year. $5 million at most. $6 million a year says that he should be taking over games. Someone said this in the NHL thread, but if Crawford got $6 a year, does Lundqvist get $9 million?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Wow...$6 mil? Too much for Crawford. Too much for the Blackhawks system. Cap better be going up again in a big way...soon.
    Agreed, and what are Kane and Toews worth now. Too many years at too much money.

vCash
    Guess we will have to trust Stan knows what he is doing. He has earned it, unlike every other GM in this town. It amounts to a 3.5 mil per year raise for Crawford, who is currently at 2.5 mil per year. Did see this tidbit:

The cap figures to rise -- perhaps dramatically -- in the years after the ’13-14 campaign when it will be $64.3 million.

“The salary cap is something you have to certainly plan for and think about as an organization,” Bowman said. “The reality is, we need to have a top-notch goaltender in our organization and we have one right in-house here with Corey. We know him well. He’s grown up with our organization and he’s earned the ultimate with our group. There was never a question in our minds that we want to commit to him. It’s the most important position we have and we have a lot of faith in his ability to continue. He’s a young goalie and he’s certainly worked hard to get himself to the NHL he’s proven he can do it at the highest level.

vCash
    I got to believe the cap is going up big in the next year or two. There's no way they would sign Crawford at the risk of losing Toews or Kane. Not a fan of this move. Hopefully Crawford can continue to produce.

vCash
    That seals the deal that Kane won't re-sign here. Lets all pray the cap really jumps.
    Mike P. ~~

Banks - The Boxer sleeps and waits for a championship...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by synister281 View Post
    That seals the deal that Kane won't re-sign here. Lets all pray the cap really jumps.
    Woah. How'd you get there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    Woah. How'd you get there?
    Yeah, I agree. That's jumping the gun a bit. I think the cap goes up to at least $70 million next year and perhaps up to like $75 million the year after.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    I love Corey, but at 6 mil a year this will create serious issues with keeping our core together. Unless Toews and Kane take serious discounts to stay I don't see how we keep our core together after this season.
    You mean after next season - almost the entire team is signed through next season, including toews/kane.

Assuming they get $10M each per year, that is going to leave another $10-$16M (depending on the cap) to sign the remaining guys:

Oduya
    Leddy
    Kruger
    Brookbank
    Saad

These guys are free agents next year:

Khabibulin
    Morin
    Hayes
    Shaw
    Bollig

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/yearly/