Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Corey Crawford Extended 6 years 36 million

Philip Pritchard ‏@keeperofthecup 6m
    Cory Crawford signs new 6yr deal on his #StanleyCup day @HockeyHallFame @NHL @nhlblackhawks @KellyHockeyHall pic.twitter.com/bFViwwKHWx

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 1m
    Contract extension for Corey Crawford: 6 year / $36M #blackhawks
    So is it just me or is this a crazy overpayment? Average goalie who is being paid like a star because of a good 30 games last season where he had a really good defense infront of him helping him out

vCash
    holy ****, they could have let him play out the final year of the contract to make sure he is legit. I dont see how this will be a good move at all.
    Sens Raps Jays

vCash
    I don't really like long term deals especially for goalies. Maybe 2 years too long and $1 million too much per year imo.

But they just keep winning so i'm sure it's a smart move.

vCash
    Definitely not a fan of $6 mil a year. Crawford is a solid goalie in that he won't lose a game for the Blackhawks, but he isn't the type of goalie who is going to steal one - even though he stepped up big time last year. Just hate seeing $6mil go towards a goalie. Only way this makes any type of sense in the slightest, is if Bowman/Hawks expect the cap to go up a pretty solid amount where they can cover their *****. Honestly...the market dictated this one but $4.5mil would have been it, with $5mil pushing it for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I don't really like long term deals especially for goalies. Maybe 2 years too long and $1 million too much per year imo.

But they just keep winning so i'm sure it's a smart move.
    i personally think its 2.5 million too much, he is getting paid for a good 40 games

it also means they have a lot of tough decisions next offseason
    8.5 million to resign hjalmarsson,shaw,hayes,morin, replacement for bollig/handzus, a 7th defenceman and a backup goalie.

In the next year my guess is one of hjalmarsson,leddy or oduya are traded for cap flexibility

Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Definitely not a fan of $6 mil a year. Crawford is a solid goalie in that he won't lose a game for the Blackhawks, but he isn't the type of goalie who is going to steal one - even though he stepped up big time last year. Just hate seeing $6mil go towards a goalie. Only way this makes any type of sense in the slightest, is if Bowman/Hawks expect the cap to go up a pretty solid amount where they can cover their *****. Honestly...the market dictated this one but $4.5mil would have been it, with $5mil pushing it for me.
    thats true if the cap goes up a significant amount, it wont be as big of a deal even though the contract would still be considered as a bad one
    Last edited by SensandRaps; 09-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.

vCash
    The Howard deal suddenly looks like a steal haha. This is just way too much and too long of a term for a goalie who hasn't put up two good years in a row yet. One good year and Cup in a shortened season behind a stacked defense does not merit this kind of contract. Lundqvist is gonna get like 9M now.
    You need centerman that can play two ways and if they donít play two ways in the end, you canít win, because the guy you are counting on canít get himself on the right side of the puck enough. So sure he can score, he can score but his team loses every night, I didnít know that was the objective. I thought winning was the objective. So if you centers canít play down the middle, and canít play without the puck, you have no chance.
    - Mike Babcock

vCash
    This made my off-season. HAHAHAHA! I was thinking 3M per. Bickell and Crawford will now combine for 10M.

vCash
    What is going on with that New Jersey front office?

Over-commitment more than over-paid but still too much money per year anyways.
    New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

vCash
    Wow. Hahaha. I mean he's a good goalie, but is he THAT good? I have a sneaky feeling this may be a regrettable contract for the Blackhawks management within a few years.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    That's a huge commitment and dollar total for someone with 1 good season. This screams Fleury to me, being rewarded after a good playoff run for more money and term than he's worth. Does Chicago not remember his 11-12 season, where he had a .903 save%? Reimer must be licking his chops right now, his numbers are very similar to Crawford's.

PAUL MARTIN FOR TEAM USA?

vCash
    Terrible contract. $6 million a year for an average goalie? Crawford is decent but 6 mil/per is pushing elite level money.

vCash
    It's understandable why he would want such a long term and high dollar amount, but I'm confused as to what the Blackhawks were thinking with this one. He's a solid goalie, but to spend $6 mil per year on a decent goalie is insane. Especially after a lockout-shortened season playing with an elite defense in front of him. You could put a lot of average goalies behind that defense and make them look like an elite goalie. Ray Emery went 17-0-1 last year with outstanding numbers. He got one year and less than $2 mil. In my opinion, Emery has more credibility than Crawford in some ways. Granted, Crawford doesn't have the injury issues, but to give him that much money...wow.

This will make the Lundqvist/Rangers situation very interesting. The Rangers currently have 24 players under contract and still need to resign Derek Stepan. They have just over $2 mil in cap space available. They're probably going to need to make a trade to free up some space to resign Stepan. Where things go haywire is next year. Of those 24 players under contract, 12 will be UFAs next season, which includes both of their goalies. 6 of those players will be RFAs, which includes Brassards, Zuccarello, Del Zotto, and Kreider.

Things are going to get very dicey for NY if they don't make some moves. I doubt Henrik will sign an extension any time soon, either. I bet he'll wait it out to see how the Rangers perform this year. If it doesn't get better he'll walk. With Crawford getting $6 mil per, the King is seriously looking at around $8-9 mil per from the Rangers, and will certainly get that on the open market.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    Lundqvist is gonna get some serious money.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    Lundqvist won't be walking unless he sees the team going in the wrong direction. The cap is predicted to be going up roughly 4 million a year after this one so they should be able to make something happen. Richards will likely get the buyout if things don't look like they will work out financially.

As far as Crawford goes, it seems like an overpayment right now but I think by the mid point of the contract it will likely be a bargain. Consider this, if Chicago were to win the cup again this year and Lundqvist signs a 8 mill deal then what would you have to pay Crawford for back to back cups? They might be getting ahead of this before Lundqvist signs his deal.
    Last edited by bsi; 09-02-2013 at 09:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Lundqvist won't be walking unless he sees the team going in the wrong direction. The cap is predicted to be going up roughly 4 million a year after this one so they should be able to make something happen. Richards will likely get the buyout if things don't look like they will work out financially.

As far as Crawford goes, it seems like an overpayment right now but I think by the mid point of the contract it will likely be a bargain. Consider this, if Chicago were to win the cup again this year and Lundqvist signs a 8 mill deal then what would you have to pay Crawford for back to back cups? They might be getting ahead of this before Lundqvist signs his deal.
    Minus the fact that almost any hockey fan out there, including Hawks fans, believe you could plug any average goalie onto that team and it likely wouldn't matter. That's sort of the issue here, that's why it's a bad contract. That team doesn't need a goalie making money that's usually spent among the elite in the league. Crawford, despite the stanley cup, is not seen as a great goalie and still isn't proven enough to warrant that kind of cap hit. Is Crawford in the conversation with Miller,Ward,Luongo,Lundqvist etc? I don't care about cups, this about the market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast