Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013/2014 Season Predictions Thread

Kinda boring offseason right now. Just though maybe some of us could put down some predictions and maybe later on (hopefully after we win the Stanley Cup) we can see who was right.

Predictions can be anything (ie. Kessel scores 40 goals, Lupul gets injured, Dion gets really drunk and ends up on TMZ)

My Predictions:

Kessel hits 90 points (35 goals, 55 assists)

Bozak hits 60 points (25 goals, 35 assists)

Bernier has an all-star type season

Clarkson and Jvr score 30+ goals

Leafs make the playoffs and win their conference

Kadri has a bad season (<30 points)

Joe Colborne has a terrific season (>30 points)

Granberg plays at least 35 games with the Leafs

The bold ones are the predictions that are most likely to happen imo.

vCash
    My predictions:

- Phil Kessel has his best year to date as a Maple Leaf, career high in goals and points.

- Bernier gets more starts then Reimer and eventually wins the goal tending job.

- Clarkson scores 17 goals.

- Maple Leafs make the playoffs once again, but just barely.

- Nazem Kadri has a regressed year.

- Jake Gardiner sets a career high in points and games played.

- JVR scores 25 goals.

- Jerry D'Amigo, Morgan Rielly, Tyler Biggs all see time with Leafs during season.

- Dave Bolland leads third line in points.

- Dion Phaneuf gets back to 20 goals.

Keep them both Nonis.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Here's a bold prediction...

Reims outplays Bernier and is eventually named our #1 goalie!

#WeTheNorth - RAPTORS' 2014 PLAYOFFS!

vCash
    - Top 3 centres all finish between 30 and 50 points
    - Kessel reaches 40 goal mark for first time
    - Phaneuf has a huge start to the season, makes team Canada as 7th man.
    - Rielly plays 9 games, records around 5 points and is sent back to junior, (to the surprise of many)
    - Leafs have 6, 20 goal scorers (Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Clarkson, 1 of Bozak and Kadri, 1 third liner)

vCash
    -the Leafs will have 4 30 goal scorers for the first time since 1989/90. Kessell, JVR, Lupul and Clarkson will all get 30+.
    -The Leafs will be in the top 5 in both penalty killing and power play. This is what will propel them into the playoffs.
    -Reimer gets traded near the deadline despite playing well. Bernier plays better and wins the starting job.

vCash
    I'll chime in.

- David Clarkson finishes with 19 goals for 39 points.
    - Dave Bolland looks brutal. He plays in about 45 games and half of it on the fourth line.
    - Nazem Kadri finishes between 49-55 points.
    - Phil Kessel finishes top 7 in points this season with 86-92 points.
    - James Reimer and Jonathan Bernier split the starting job completely, and both have a save percentage over .918%
    - JVR finishes with over 55 points
    - Paul Ranger averages top four ice time.
    - Nikolai Kulemin finishes with under 35 points
    - Joffrey Lupul hits 75 points
    - Dion Phaneuf has his best season as a Maple Leaf
    - Jake Gardiner is disappointing
    - Mark Fraser impresses again.

vCash
    * Morgan Rielly gets a 9 game look during the regular season but gets sent back down to Junoir and goes off with a ridiculous final Junoir campaign.

* Nik Kulemin scores 20 goals.

* Our PK doesn't sit at 2nd overall like the end of last season but we remain a top 5-7 PK team.

* Kessel finally hits 40 goals and topples 90 points. Hell of a contract year.

* Kessel and Phaneuf are both resigned.

* With a 4.2 cap hit, Tyler Bozak steals alot of the fan hatred away from Phaneuf.

* JVR scores 25-30 goals and ends up with 65-75 points if healthy.

* Lupul gets the bird flu. Then West Nile. Then SARS. Plays 45-50 games and scores that many points.

* Clarkson scores 25 goals.

* The goaltending battle isn't just tken by Bernier. Reimer fights him the whole year until a decision is made playoff time. Decision goes to Bernier but Reimer gains alot of trade value.

* We make the playoffs again and lose in the second round.

vCash
    *Reimer takes the number 1 job and runs with it as Bernier is overwhelmed (you think we gave up a lot of shots last season)

*Kadri emerges as a true top 2 center talent and JVR emerges as his partner and both put up 60+ points

*Clarkson disappoints the ridiculous contract he has but ultimately has a solid season (not a bold prediction)

*Kessel continues to be a top 10 scorer in the NHL (3rd straight season)

*Morgan Rielly not only makes the team out of camp, but sticks with the team for the season in a 3rd pairing role, top PP unit role.

*Leafs lead the league in shots against (27th last season) by a wide margin but Reimer keeps them respectable.

*Leafs are the 5th best team in their division and do not make the playoffs

vCash
    Since this is our predictions thread, i'm interested to see what everyone thinks the standings in the division will be this season? This is the prediction i made a while back in the main forum but I'll stand by it and see if i get lucky.

1. Ottawa Senators (Could be scary with Bobby Ryan and a healthy Spezza, Karlsson, Anderson)
    2. Montreal Canadians (Team falls back to earth but Price has HUGE year)
    3. Toronto Maple Leafs (Will continue to grow and hopefully win a round this year)
    4. Boston Bruins ( Losing Peverly, Seguin, and Ference will hurt them, Chara slows down some more)
    5. Buffalo Sabres (Improved D, Miller has a strong year, Vanek has great year, barely miss playoffs)
    6. Detroit Red Wings (Jimmy Howard, meet Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin and Tavares and gets lit up)
    7. Florida Panthers (Not much to say here, awful team)
    8. Tampa Bay Lightning (Valteri Fillpula is the #2 Center...)

Obviously Detroit at 6 and Boston at 4 people will debate with me and I see that, Detroits forward core is ridiculous but with that D and goaltending they'll have to score a lot. Boston will finally seem mortal and take a step back in my mind.

vCash
    1. Boston Bruins (They're top lines are just too good, defence does slightly regress thought)
    2. Ottawa Senators (All the healthy players and Ryan will make them improve greatly, I think they'll play way over their heads kind of like Montreal last year and just win)
    3. Toronto Maple Leafs (We can bully around some of the teams in our division now, and have new found confidence against the Bruins, every position seems slightly improved)
    4. Detroit Red Wings (They'll still be able to hold their own, with their two key acquisitions)
    5. Montreal Canadiens (Played too good last year and I dont think theyll be able to do that again)
    6. Buffalo Sabres (Good group of forwards going forward, D is still lousy but Ryan Miller has a better year).
    7. Tampa Bay Lightning (Outside of their first line they're weak, but they did upgrade goaltending and now we'll see a full year of it)
    8. Florida Panthers (Weak all around, Tim Thomas is still a question mark)

vCash
    ^ Well at least we agree on the only one that matters right? lol

vCash
    Exactly! clinching a playoff spot is all that matters

vCash
    -Kessel scores 40 goals to go along with 50 assists
    -Lupul plays more then 65 games and ends up with 70+ pts
    -Bozak gets 58pts
    -Clarkson scores 25 goals
    -Paul Ranger returns to form and ends up playing along side Phaneuf at some point in the season
    -Raymond scores 17 goals and plays a solid role for leafs on PK
    -Bernier proves the stud Goalie that he is and Reimer eventually gets traded.
    -Nonis and Burke make more then 1 trade this season alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Since this is our predictions thread, i'm interested to see what everyone thinks the standings in the division will be this season? This is the prediction i made a while back in the main forum but I'll stand by it and see if i get lucky.
    1. Boston Bruins - still the best team there IMO. Best goaltending, best defence, best forward group. Even better with Eriksson in for Seguin. He fits better.
    2. Ottawa Senators - have a feeling they will either be top 2 or bottom 2 in this division. They are a much better team on paper right now than they were last year, but how much does the loss of Alfie hurt the team morale?
    3. Detroit Red Wings - there are lots of bad things to say about the Red Wings, but the goaltending is good enough, D's weak, but the forwards are too strong. Top 9 is really strong with Weiss and Alfie and the inevitable emergence of Tatar and Nyquist.
    4. Montreal Canadiens - I think Price has a big year too. Paches gets better, watch the year Briere has in their top 6 IMO.
    5. Tampa Bay Lightning - Full year of Ben Bishop is a HUGE addition. Forwards are dirty even if Flip is the number 2 center.
    6. Toronto Maple Leafs - don't think we are a playoff team, especially with the loss of Clarkson for the first 10. Another slow start with a strong finish that won't be enough. The D is bad and there is absolutely no depth. Division isn't as strong as I thought so maybe they could be the 3 or 4 team but I'm picking them to be 5th or 6th.
    7. Florida Panthers - always manage to be not that bad.
    8. Buffalo Sabres - brutal team IMO. Tanking it.

I hate to be the negative nelly here but I think we are putting a lot of faith in a lot of guys who have a pretty decent change of doing nothing. I think Kadri has a good year, but he's probably 50/50 to take a step back. How big of a step forward does JVR take? How many games will Lupul play? Will Bolland play like last year or like 3 years ago? And the D has some HUGE question marks, Paul Ranger hasn't played an NHL game since October of 2009!!! Cody Franson is still un-signed. John Michael Liles has been a shell of his former self since getting levelled against Buffalo 2 years ago. Jake Gardiner wasn't in the lineup last year like at all until the playoffs. Mark Fraser is probably healthy but he's coming off a SKULL FRACTURE!!! And none of Morgan Rielly, TJ Brennan, Korbinian Holzer, Petter Granberg, or Jesse Blacker have taken enough of a step forward to demand a spot on the team. The Leafs were tied for 3rd last in shots against and they aren't necessarily any better than they were last season. They've let go pluggers/shot blockers Kostka, O'Byrne, and Holzer and they will be using a lot more of Jake Gardiner and possibly Morgan Rielly/TJ Brennan who are not shot blockers at all. All moves that I would have made but moves that likely increase their shots against. I think we're in for a big disappointment this year guys...
    Last edited by McJoe; 09-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.

vCash
    ^ the shots against it getting annoying to hear...alot are because the team trust the goalie to make the easy outside save... the leafs give teams bad shots all day.
    I see your reasoning but you can also go the same way with everyone...

kessel and dion in contract years should have their bests seasons as leafs... both have been major assets to the team already.
    kadri given minutes can't get worse IMO, kid has too much passion and fire to have a set back/bust like year
    clarkson addition is huge for the second line and we have one of the best 3rd lines in the game
    not to mention bernier and reims battling it out, two solid goalies that can be number 1's
    can't see how the defense didnt improve with switching out koska for ranger.

All in all, I have some high expectations this season for this leafs team... great mix of youth and vets along with coaching and gritt...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast