Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    324
    vCash
    1500

    Which Blue Jay farm hands could crack the roster for 2014...and how would they do?

    I think Goins, Gose and Stroman will crack the 2014 roster.

    - Goins will do very well defensively, and end up batting around .240 with an OPS about .650
    - Gose will be the Davis replacement, the 4th outfielder, and will probably end up starting in CF by July. I think he'll do really well. Maybe .260 with an OPS of .670
    - I think Stroman could be a rookie of the year candidate if he leaves Florida as a SP.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Key Biscayne, Florida
    Posts
    9,911
    vCash
    1500
    Wow, you think .670 OPS for a CF is acceptable! Rasmus is our CF'er and Gose is not. Goins at .650 OPS is also not good. You make it sound like the numbers you think they can produce is good when they are not!
    JP has a .640 OPS, is that what you think these guys should be striving for?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,378
    vCash
    1500
    Gose
    Stilson
    Stoman
    Outside shot of Goins as a backup IF.
    Not sure if Hutchison or Drabek count.

    Those are the only ones I see as having a chance at breaking camp.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,205
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Gose
    Stilson
    Stoman
    Outside shot of Goins as a backup IF.
    Not sure if Hutchison or Drabek count.

    Those are the only ones I see as having a chance at breaking camp.
    I'd add Nolin for sure and Carreno (if he is needed due to us trading bullpen piece for other upgrades) to that list, possibly Pillar if he gets enough at bats this year and works hard in the off-season, He would be 4-5 outfielder but could make it.

    To me Nolin constantly gets overlooked cause of his one and first start against probably the best lineup in the MLB at that time and when are defense **** the bed for him. I hope he gets another chance to pitch with the Jays this year, hopefully against an average lineup.
    Last edited by LanceUpperCut; 09-02-2013 at 04:25 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11,227
    vCash
    1500
    Virtual guarantees: Hutchison, Stroman, Stilson

    Possibilities: Nolin, Carreno, Drabek, Gose, Pillar.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TO
    Posts
    9,560
    vCash
    1500
    I really dont want to let go of Davis. He was underutilized as a blue jay. Easily could lead the league in stolen bases.

    As fast as gose is he doesnt have the same read and jump as Davis. Lets hope it comes with time. Gose's bat is a huge work in progress. Still cant lay down a bunt for gods sakes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    COLLEGE
    Posts
    3,162
    vCash
    1500
    I really like Davis too, but he isn't good enough to be an every day player. He's an all star platooner, batting against lefties and pinch running, but his glove is average and he can't hit righties. Some other team will pay him nicely in the off season and I wish the best of luck to him. I don't see him turning down a full time job for a bench position on the Jays, unfortunately.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,378
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    I really dont want to let go of Davis. He was underutilized as a blue jay. Easily could lead the league in stolen bases.

    As fast as gose is he doesnt have the same read and jump as Davis. Lets hope it comes with time. Gose's bat is a huge work in progress. Still cant lay down a bunt for gods sakes.
    I'd rather he be underutilized.

    The Jays have tried using him more in the past and that's when he starts to struggle. He has Reed Johnson syndrome.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,932
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    I really dont want to let go of Davis. He was underutilized as a blue jay. Easily could lead the league in stolen bases.

    As fast as gose is he doesnt have the same read and jump as Davis. Lets hope it comes with time. Gose's bat is a huge work in progress. Still cant lay down a bunt for gods sakes.
    How exactly has Davis been underutilized?


    The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,341
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    How exactly has Davis been underutilized?
    Cause John Gibbons didn't derp derp and caused the Jays season to spiral out of control.

    Or .... something like that....


    Had to be done! Go T-Rex

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,180
    vCash
    1500
    I like Davis as a 4th outfielder/PR a lot more then I like Gose in that situation. At least Davis pounds left handed pitching, and is extremely efficient stealing bases. Gose has actually hit LHP better then he has hit right handed pitching this year at the big league level. He simply just isn't ready as a hitter yet to play in the big leagues, and to be honest he could use some improvement at getting jumps on fly balls too. Right now he makes up for a lot of bad reads/jumps with his great speed, but he would get to a lot more balls if he got better reads off the bat and took direct routes.



    I think Ryan Goins has a chance to win the starting 2B role with this team next year. Simply because he can do a good job defensively, and it will allow us to focus any available financial resources on our other areas of need.
    He hit well in Lansing in 2010, in Dunedin in 2011 and in NH in 2012. He isn't going to hit 15 HR's, but he could hit 20+ doubles with an average OBP. Which sadly to say is a drastic improvement over what we got this year..


    I think Drabek, Nolin, Hutchison and Stroman all will have a shot at making our rotation at some point in 2014, and Stilson has a shot at seeing some relief innings also. I don't know if any of them will break camp in April with the team, but they could all see action with our injury history.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    805
    vCash
    1500
    Davis is pretty bad, makes so many mental mistakes, yeah he steals alot of bases but he does alot of stupid stuff that lead to outs in big situations

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    324
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    Wow, you think .670 OPS for a CF is acceptable! Rasmus is our CF'er and Gose is not. Goins at .650 OPS is also not good. You make it sound like the numbers you think they can produce is good when they are not!
    JP has a .640 OPS, is that what you think these guys should be striving for?
    I'm not saying Gose replaces Rasmus, so relax.

    I think the Jays might keep Gose up as a Rajai Davis replacement. Davis is a FA, and I doubt he'll be re-signed.

    A .650 OPS is not good for a seasoned veteran, but a young kid like Gose, with plus defense, speed and arm, I think it's very okay for a first season. And I think a .650 OPS is worst case scenario.

    I hope that eliminates your confusion.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    T.O., Canada
    Posts
    14,632
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    I'm not saying Gose replaces Rasmus, so relax.

    I think the Jays might keep Gose up as a Rajai Davis replacement. Davis is a FA, and I doubt he'll be re-signed.

    A .650 OPS is not good for a seasoned veteran, but a young kid like Gose, with plus defense, speed and arm, I think it's very okay for a first season. And I think a .650 OPS is worst case scenario.

    I hope that eliminates your confusion.
    His .652 OPS in AAA would beg to differ
    2013

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    324
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    His .652 OPS in AAA would beg to differ
    I think you mean you beg to differ. So what do you think he would do next year, stat-wise, if he cracked the roster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •