Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Watching Straw and Doc in........

Interviews the last couple of years whether they are back at the park as guests or working it on SNY really makes me feel good for them. What I mean is they seem like they have found peace and moved forward in their lives and seem really happy.

Back in the 80s when I was a lot younger I always looked at Stra and Doc as kind of trouble makers who really didn't care about their team or their teammates and only cared about themselves. It was just the impression I got. But seeing them now and reading their books and watching the interviews you can tell they really care about other people and still love the Mets.

I think we are really lucky that years later after 86 we have such a strong connection with all our former players like Mazz, Keith, Ron, Tuefel, Wally, Carter RIP, Bobby O, Straw , Gooden etc

Back then I never appreciated Straws and Docs persona but every time I watch them now they always have something good to say. Glad they are still around happy, healthy and wise!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeharley666:26979129
    Interviews the last couple of years whether they are back at the park as guests or working it on SNY really makes me feel good for them. What I mean is they seem like they have found peace and moved forward in their lives and seem really happy.

Back in the 80s when I was a lot younger I always looked at Stra and Doc as kind of trouble makers who really didn't care about their team or their teammates and only cared about themselves. It was just the impression I got. But seeing them now and reading their books and watching the interviews you can tell they really care about other people and still love the Mets.

I think we are really lucky that years later after 86 we have such a strong connection with all our former players like Mazz, Keith, Ron, Tuefel, Wally, Carter RIP, Bobby O, Straw , Gooden etc

Back then I never appreciated Straws and Docs persona but every time I watch them now they always have something good to say. Glad they are still around happy, healthy and wise!
    Ill never forget how those 2 helped transform the atmosphere at Shea from a morgue to the hottest sports venue in town. So who will be the next Doc and Straw?
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Ill never forget how those 2 helped transform the atmosphere at Shea from a morgue to the hottest sports venue in town. So who will be the next Doc and Straw?
    I couldn't agree more. Toss is Hernandez, Carter, Dykstra, Darling, and my personal favorite Mookie Wilson...and man, it was absolutely electric.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Voodoo:26979414
    I couldn't agree more. Toss is Hernandez, Carter, Dykstra, Darling, and my personal favorite Mookie Wilson...and man, it was absolutely electric.
    Dont know how far you go back but I remember those empty stadium years from 1977-1983 very well. Ir was beyond awesome when the stadium started filling up again in 84, esoecially when Doc pitched
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    I wasn't born until 91, so I wasn't around for the 80's glory days with the "bad boy" teams (or something along those lines one columnist called them). That "yea we are cocky and you can't do anything about it" attitude team.

With this team I don't really see anybody like that besides Harvey. Harvey all season liked to talk about how good he was and wants to be better than everybody. Maybe once this team gets better, more players will come out with that attitude when the team can actually back it up one the field.

vCash
    Doper and a druggie.

Great guys until the next relapse and they find Jesus.

Thanks for the one championship. However they cost us probably two more that we should have won.

Wish them well but I wouldn't walk across the street to see either one on them.

At least Keith Hernandez cleaned up his act and made something of himself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    Doper and a druggie.

Thanks for the one championship. However they cost us probably two more that we should have won.

I could see maybe your point with Doc. But come on Straw has been clean a very long time and is very productive in life.

vCash
    Doper and a druggie.

Disappointing BB careers in many ways, but successful BB careers in some ways too. Neither cost me anything and they seem like good dudes. Selling Darryl and Dwight memorabilia put me partially through undergraduate school. Mad profits.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    FoC, this would make for a good thread too.

To answer your question, Harvey is potentially the next Doc, if he learns how to pitch consistently past the 7th inning. He's the only one that is capable. Hopefully, when he returns he is improved. I'm not sure he ever will be as good as Doc too. If money, fame, and greed divest him, I don't think so.

Clayton Kershaw is today's benchmark of what an Ace is all about. He has the numbers to prove it.

As far the next Straw, we are in deep muck ( I meant to use a 4-letter word....). Does Darryl have any kids of his own that are athletes. At least in name we could have a new Strawberry.......

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Doper and a druggie.

Who was the doper? Who was the druggie?

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    ...Does Darryl have any kids of his own that are athletes. At least in name we could have a new Strawberry.......
    Darryl Jr. played basketball at Maryland and one year in the NBA for Phoenix, about ten years ago. Darryl Jr. is Darryl Sr.'s son with ex-wife Lisa. I think Darryl adopted 3 children which belonged to his wife, Charise -- though I am murky on this.

vCash

Take your puck.

Tomato……Ta Mah To

Iceberg……Goldberg

vCash
    Doper and a druggie.

One of the greatest and most frustrating times to a NY fan. The Mets were as much a self destructive mess as they were great. They backed up their arrogance only once.

Meanwhile, another NY team won two Superbowls over a 5 year period yet botched 87-89 with a strike and stupidity.

Championships which should have been dynasties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    One of the greatest and most frustrating times to a NY fan. The Mets were as much a self destructive mess as they were great. They backed up their arrogance only once.

Meanwhile, another NY team won two Superbowls over a 5 year period yet botched 87-89 with a strike and stupidity.

Championships which should have been dynasties.
    And yet some fans ***** and moan about trading some of the bad influences.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota:26986105

Take your puck.

Tomato……Ta Mah To

Iceberg……Goldberg
    Getting a lot of mileage out of that line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast