Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Rest Miggy?

vCash

Rest Miggy?

Do you think we should continue to watch him hobble around for the rest of the season or shelf him for 15 days and get him healthy? Believe me, I want to see him win the Triple Crown again as much as anybody. But I think we'd all trade that for a World Series championship. I'm just afraid that a nagging injury could either get worse or slow him down considerably (like he hasn't been slowed down enough already).

Thoughts?

"Lions, Tigers and Pistons, OH MY!" (and Hoosiers...and Redwings....)

vCash
    Definitely agree with the rest idea. Personally I think sitting him the next couple of days would be fine. Another idea would be to DH him a few times just to relieve some of the stress off fielding for 9 innings. That would mean V-Mart would need to catch a few games but I think we could get away with that. Not back-to-back obviously because V-Mart's knees are always a question but a day or so every week would be a nice break for everyone.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    And it's not like we struggle with him out of the line-up. This team is still very potent offensively. And speaking of catchers (you mentioned V-Mart), anyone see the stat last night where Peņa has the second best post-all star game batting average? Why in the hell is Avila even out there??? Role with who's hot!

vCash
    I think 15 day rest is too much... But he should get regular days off somewhat often from here on out. No matter what anyone says, I truly believe we have the division locked up. It's all about the best record in the AL. We can win that by playing miggy... Maybe 75% of the time.

I heard on one of the TV broadcasts that the tigers trainer said that this injury WILL NOT HEAL with days off... It also won't get worse with him playing.. It just causes pain. Thus giving him a day off here and there can help him cope with the pain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    I heard on one of the TV broadcasts that the tigers trainer said that this injury WILL NOT HEAL with days off... It also won't get worse with him playing.. It just causes pain. Thus giving him a day off here and there can help him cope with the pain.
    Yes, I heard that during a broadcast, too. Maybe a couple of times. It just seems that other injuries are popping up with him--hip flexor, stomach muscle strain, etc. I can't imagine resting him for a week wouldn't help those nagging injuries. But if he has the clearance, I guess in the end it's up to him and how he feels.

vCash
    A week would probably be fine... Just not too long. I know we've been winning without him, but I don't know how sustainable that is.

vCash
    Offense seems to crap the bed when he's not in the lineup, but we do have a decent size lead over the Indians so might as well rest him up.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!

vCash
    Yeah, offense definitely sputters without Big Mig in the lineup...as we all expect it would. I like the idea of resting him at least a game every series if that would help him. I am not certain it would.

The only thing I disagree with in this thread is LFLOL's idea to catch V-Mart...I don't want to risk the other offensive cog in the scoring wheel by having him behind the plate even for one game the last month of the season. No offense LOL...I just don't like the idea. Pena's healthy; Pena's tearing it up right now...let Pena play more.
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Yeah, offense definitely sputters without Big Mig in the lineup...as we all expect it would. I like the idea of resting him at least a game every series if that would help him. I am not certain it would.

The only thing I disagree with in this thread is LFLOL's idea to catch V-Mart...I don't want to risk the other offensive cog in the scoring wheel by having him behind the plate even for one game the last month of the season. No offense LOL...I just don't like the idea. Pena's healthy; Pena's tearing it up right now...let Pena play more.
    I agree. Martinez belongs at the DH until maybe the WS. But t's mind-boggling to see that Peņa has one of the best post All Star batting averages in the AL and he's not our everyday catcher. I realize that Avila is a better defensive catcher. But when you're batting in the .200 range and you have a guy sitting on the bench who plays with FIRE and is batting over .300, I would be willing to allow a couple extra SB a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iu92grad View Post
    I agree. Martinez belongs at the DH until maybe the WS. But t's mind-boggling to see that Peņa has one of the best post All Star batting averages in the AL and he's not our everyday catcher. I realize that Avila is a better defensive catcher. But when you're batting in the .200 range and you have a guy sitting on the bench who plays with FIRE and is batting over .300, I would be willing to allow a couple extra SB a game.
    You gotta remember that Leyland (Mr. "Righties-a-must versus lefties") is at the helm of this ship...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post

I understand the point no doubt. It's just an alternative to sitting Miggy and having Don Kelly start, but like Ahoda said we have a big lead on Queefland so it's not as big of a concern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I understand the point no doubt. It's just an alternative to sitting Miggy and having Don Kelly start, but like Ahoda said we have a big lead on Queefland so it's not as big of a concern.
    Queefland. May I help you spread that nickname?!?! Ab-so-LUTE-ly hilarious!!!

vCash
    Sure. The more of my nicknames spreading, the better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Offense seems to crap the bed when he's not in the lineup, but we do have a decent size lead over the Indians so might as well rest him up.
    Offense crapped the bed even with him in the lineup tonight

I think he got screwed on the check swing call in the early innings though

vCash
    Miggy looked rustry from sitting out the past 3 games, but Lester was dealing tonight so I don't mind we lost and couldn't score. It's baseball.
    Rod Allen Soundboard

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/09/1...93&feedID=3593

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Me and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo111 View Post
    I suck the donkey dick!!!........... HAHAHAHAHA!!