Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ryan Spadola to make team

Rookie WR Ryan Spadola, the feel-good story from Howell, N.J., tweeted late Friday that he's "officially a NYJ." Assuming Spadola's reporting is accurate (anything can happen on cut-down weekend), it culminates a storybook summer for him.

Spadola was undrafted out of Lehigh and went on to lead the Jets in preseason receiving, catching 13 passes for 216 yards and a touchdown. Along the way, he has drawn comparisons to former Jets icon Wayne Chrebet, who sees a lot of himself in Spadola.

That Spadola made the team doesn't come as a surprise, but it'll be interesting to see how it impacts the depth chart. Presumably, he'll be the fifth receiver, behind Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley and Clyde Gates. If they decide to carry six, it figures to be Ben Obomanu or Mohamed Massaquoi.

Other cuts are starting to trickle in, as both C Erik Cook and DE Junior Aumavae tweeted they've been waived. On Friday, the Jets released PK Dan Carpenter and DT Antonio Garay, according to sources.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Ryan Spadola ‏@DolaOcho 9h
    Officially a NYJ. Words can't describe how grateful I am for the great friends, family, and friends who have supported me throughout this

Hometown kid! Congrats to him! Hopefully he can develop into a contributing player. Definitely the best story of camp.

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    He deserved it - he lit up TC and Preseason. He made a lot of nice tough NFL catches throughout the past 3 months.

Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

vCash
    I went to Lehigh while he was there, so I'm very happy he's done so well thus far. He was great for us in college, so I was hopeful it would translate into the NFL. I'm not a Jets fan (Packers fan), but I'll be following you guys to see if he gets any time on the field.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    Gotta love the tuff as nails Longshot WRs. I think spadola can do very well for us.

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

vCash
    I have been pulling for SPADS all summer too. Great skills from a smaller (but storied college - good for Lehigh) college program/league - He must have just torn them up.

He has surprising speed, and even better, seems to have a knack for getting separation, and has show decent hands (can't let Prince take that ball away from him though - just CAN'T), and he has to become the guy that grabs everything within his grasp, and if it's a toss up between him and the DB - SPADS has to win that always!

He doesn't have great spring in his legs (33.5" VJ and 9'11" BJ), but he has good change of direction (6.72 3-cone - pretty good), and has to become an excellent rout runner.

If Kerley stays in his slump (KOW - NO!) - SPADS could see some pretty significant time either in the slot, or as an outside WR. Much depends on if/when Holmes can come back and be anywhere near the guy he was ON THE FIELD (I hope he's left all that negative off-field stuff behind - he'll probably keep a low profile - biotch-wise - because he needs a new contract), and if Stephen Hill can stay healthy AND continue his growth as a receiver.

Who knows what will happen - but we need one of these "kid-from-nowhere" turned top-flight WR stories. Unlike V. Cruz - he doesn't have Eli throwing him the ball, but hopefully, Geno will be "the man!"

This will be an interesting, if not somewhat frustrating, year with lots of young guys trying to "make their bones" (and not break them - KOW).

GO JETS!!!
    Last edited by jetsfansince'67; 08-31-2013 at 03:56 PM.