Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Report: 'Unlikely' Mark Sanchez is ready to play Week 1

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...to-play-week-1

Mark Sanchez is reportedly 'unlikely' to be ready for Week 1 -- opening the door for Geno Smith

Neither Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez played on Thursday night for the Jets, meaning the quarterback competition everyone's watched this offseason basically comes down to whether Sanchez is healthy after suffering a now-infamous injury in the fourth quarter during Week 3 of the preseason. According to one report it's "unlikely" he'll be ready.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported Friday morning that Sanchez probably won't be ready to go when Rex Ryan's crew kicks off against the Buccaneers in Week 1 of the regular season.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    ICYMI: I'm told it's unlikely that Jets QB Mark Sanchez will be ready for the season opener against the Buccaneers on Sept. 8. #nyj

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Next few days critical 4 Mark Sanchez. If he doesn't resume throwing (at normal velocity) by Tues/Wed, Jets will turn it over to Geno Smith

Rex could ostensibly wait until later in the week -- Thursday or Friday -- to see if Sanchez can get put the maximum amount of cheese on the ball. But naming a starter earlier is the smart play, if only to avoid all the scrutiny that'll come with making that call.

Also the smart play? Starting the guy who's healthy. If there's a debate about whether Sanchez can get healthy enough to work his way into the discussion then he's not healthy enough.

The Geno Smith era is close. Can you feel the excitement?

Finally some change, maybe Geno won't turn the ball over nearly as much as Mark the last couple of years. I can only hope.

vCash
    preseason 3 horrible turnovers. (rookie i understand)

Maybe next year, he won't turn the ball over.

PSD"S JETS FORUM SURVIVOR LEAGUE CHAMPION 2013

vCash
    On the bright side Freeman can be TO prone so maybe our Defense can win the game for us. Let's just hope Geno looks a thousand times better than last time we saw him. If he looks the same clueless overwhelmed QB as he did last game Rex will have to go with Sanchez until he is inevitably fired.

vCash
    Sanchez's demeanor last night was very interesting. He looked happy, calm, and confident - which could mean absolutely nothing, or maybe Sanchez was relieved he didn't haver to suit up - OR - maybe he feels confident that he will be starting as soon as his shoulder is better - OR - maybe he sees the writing on the wall, and is relieved it is all over, and it's Geno's team?

Of course, I can't draw any conclusions from his demeanor EXCEPT - he didn't look uncomfortable, or unhappy. I believe he was truly happy to see Simms play fairly well (against scrubs and although he had a high completion % - he averaged 4.5 yards per pass. That is unbelievably low with that high a completion %. Maybe the yards lost in his 7 sacks really hurt that number, but low is <6.0 yards per attempt.

For all the.....I won't say idiotic because that is too mean...., but there has to be some negative adjective for all the people that are saying "Simms is the starter, and blah blah blah.

I was thrilled to see Simms have success, and help lead us to a victory, and I've always said, because of his arm strength, he has much more upside that pop-gun McElroy, but Simms is incredibly raw, inexperienced, and is in no position to be considered starting QB material. Maybe he can become a serious talent for us - that would be great, but he hasn't even taken any reps this summer with the 1st string - that wasn't by accident. He's a nice story with a famous name, but lets not get carried away.

If Sanchez isn't ready to go (which I think is pretty-much a given), Geno starts, and maybe Idzik would push for him to start anyway. I think Geno has a huge mountain to climb if he is our starter, and he will make mistakes, and Simms would make just as many, if not more, so lets just hope Marty can put together a game plan that Geno can execute, and the rest of our team steps up HUGE - and maybe we can compete in these 1st 5 really difficult games - in fact - there are no gimmes in the NFL.

It is going to be interesting.

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    I think Geno is going to surprise a lot of people. I think it was good he flopped in the pre-season game he started. It will lower expectations and he can only go up from there.

vCash
    It comes down to the oline, if they can protect him he will make plays

vCash
    It would be really nice to have a player actually exceed expectations post draft, for once. Maybe Geno will be fired up from all of the hate.

vCash
    This is bad news to me because Geno Smith looked completely overwhelmed in the preseason. I was hoping that the Jets would be able to bring him along slowly and not throw him right into the fire.

vCash
    Hey, Geno has way more experience coming into this year than Sanchez did coming in his 1st year. Yes, the team was probably better in 2009 - but this is a younger team, and a way more dynamic offense (from a design and play calling aspect), and a defense that is out there to prove something. Sure - we're going to take our lumps, but if any of them is worth a crap, they'll fight through it, and we'll see where we're at.

I didn't think there was anyway Sanchez was going to be ready to start. I just hope that he heals up - 100% - quickly so that if Geno is taking a beating, Sanchez can come in and try and settle things down. Then we'll see if he can make us competitive, or if Sanchez continues to make those moronic plays, and then it's Geno time again, and hopefully, things will have slowed down a bit for Geno, and we'll see if he's the guy, or not.

I think REX had told Sanchez that he would've been the starter if he hadn't gotten hurt, and that "You'll get your chance to get in there as soon as you're healed up." That is the demeanor Sanchez had last night. This way - Sanchez doesn't lose face, and can be supportive of Geno, thinking he'll get his chance - which he probably will - UNLESS - Geno shuts everybody up and comes out and plays well, and then - BAM - we've found our new QB.

This is probably the best way all of this could have turned out. No one "loses" the QB competition. We get an early look at Geno, and if he's overwhelmed - we turn to Sanchez, and if/when Sanchez implodes - it will be time to turn the season back to Geno - like it would've been (probably) if Sanchez didn't get hurt. The only real crapper could be if Sanchez's shoulder is seriously injured, but he didn't look like that, and the hit didn't look like a tearing/separating hit because he wasn't in the middle of his throwing motion. That is where QBs shoulders get destroyed. He just got bruised, and that will heal.

AND PLEASE - lets keep the Simms should be starting BS quiet until both Sanchez and Geno either are hurt, or suck so bad that we've got nothing to lose - which I don't think will be true!

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    Good, its better for our future to lose games. I hope we keep all our young no namers all season and give them serious burn. Guys like Dousable, Sapp, Jarret, and Spadola all could turn out to be solid gamers in the future. This is perfect for us. Geno will most likely show nothing which is fine because we need the picks anyway and we need to make a real decision on QB. What sucks is that there seems to be only one big time top 10 ten talent at QB (Bridgewater). The worst thing is if Geno were mediocre. He better show flashes or suck.

If Sanchez were healthy I could see him putting up numbers like he did two seasons ago in MM's system. Something like 30 total scores and 15 turnovers. That would put us in the 7-9 range which would be the worst case scenario.
    Last edited by Dmagic87; 08-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.

vCash
    It's basically a win-win situation for Geno to start in the long-run.

If Geno plays well, we'll have our QB of the future, will be considered an upstart team with a really solid foundation.

If he flops, we'll likely get an elite level talent in the draft and continue the rebuild.

With that said, I want to win games and really hopes Geno does well and figures it out quickly.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Some of you guys... Please do not judge him off of 1 preseason game... Cmon.

Look at all the chances Mark has had and he has constantly flopped the last 2 years.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    It's basically a win-win situation for Geno to start in the long-run.

If Geno plays well, we'll have our QB of the future, will be considered an upstart team with a really solid foundation.

If he flops, we'll likely get an elite level talent in the draft and continue the rebuild.

With that said, I want to win games and really hopes Geno does well and figures it out quickly.
    I think that whether or not Geno plays well, he will also be the QB next year. They will not give him his rookie year alone to develop.

Geno is like a "shut up ring" for Jets fans. It buys the FO a couple of years to solidify the roster without us screaming about drafting a QB.
    Best case, he's great and we have our guy for the next 7-10 years. Worst case, he is mediocre at best, and we continue to rebuild while he annoys us for 2-3 years.

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I think that whether or not Geno plays well, he will also be the QB next year. They will not give him his rookie year alone to develop.
    Disagree. This Geno Smith situation has Jimmy Clausen written all over it.

Remember, Geno was just a value aka "why not?" pick. If you're really enamored with a QB, you don't let him get past the 1st round. And if Geno plays terrible ala Clausen and they're in a position to grab another QB (a better one) next year, I don't think they'll hesitate to do it.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    [QUOTE=King P;26975726]Disagree. This Geno Smith situation has Jimmy Clausen written all over it.

Remember, Geno was just a value aka "why not?" pick. If you're really enamored with a QB, you don't let him get past the 1st round. And if Geno plays terrible ala Clausen and they're in a position to grab another QB (a better one) next year, I don't think they'll hesitate to do it.[/QUOTE

I think your comparison is a fair one. And I agree with your views about picking a qb. That's why i said he was like a "shut up ring", to Jets fans. He buys the FO 2 seasons to built a team. I still believe we will, barring sheer horribleness or injury, or Sanchez turns into Aaron Rodgers, see Geno as our QB next year.

I haven't seen enough of Bridgewater (people love him) or Boyd to say how good they are. I could see us taking another QB in the 3rd or later rounds. But in the first?

If you had a top 5 pick next season, would you choose a QB?
    I would be less flashy and grab an OT, unless of course Clowney was available. He'd look good in green.
    Top 10 pick, would you take a QB? Maybe. As I said, I don't know enough about this years QBs to say.

I certainly understand your idea and it is very possible.

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast