Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Bulls vs Sonics revisted

I usually dont post here. i usually indulge on other posts but i just want to put it out there. i was at home bored watching Tv . All day the played the Bulls Ships on NBA TV. As i watched the game i started to see the game diffrent than i remember it from my youth. As i watched it, i noticed Jordan looked heavier and seemed to be "not as great" as i remember him and it seem Scottie Pippen did all the work. as i watched i realized Jordan was early 30s and Pippen was late 20s. Jordan seemed to dominate in spurts but Pippen was consistantly scoring not on command like Jordan seemed to be at times , but pippen seemed to be just as dominate or even more dominate than Jordan as far as both ends of the floor. It seems as if Looking at Kobe now is the same as looking at Jordan then..but the better explanation is the comparison of James /Wade . Everyone remembers Wade dominance but James as of now has it as far as being the most dominate. which brings me to my question..do we romance over Jordan too much and not give Pippen his due or was it a perfect relationship where each excepted the roles given ? i go with not giving Pippen his props.

vCash
    Each player gets their due credit.

vCash
    There are a few things to consider:

1. Jordan was the best player in basketball his entire career as a bull. So, I don't think his role was over romanticized.

2. Pippen was underrated at that time as he was a big reason we won championships. But, he gets the recognition now. Horace I think is even more underrated. He was also huge for the team in the first 3 and people don't talk about him enough.

3. Mj was guarded by Gary Payton who guarded him as well as anyone.

4. Mj at times would conserve his energy for later in the game while trying to let his teammates contribute. Everyone was needed to win it all.

vCash
    I don't know. In Jordan's second to last year with the Bulls he scored 38 points with the flu in the finals against a very good Utah team. Seems legit to me. I know what you're saying that he wasn't physically as high flying as he was but his strength was way more impressive in his later Bulls years. His lowest PPG total in the second three peat was 28.7 which would have led the league this year. I think while his highlights may not be what they were, he was still producing at an elite level and winning titles.

vCash
    Pippen is listed in the top 50 players of all time isn't he? I think those Bulls teams perfectly presented that for them to win everyone needed to understand and play their role. Scottie Pippen was an awesome player and probably the perfect Robin to Michael's Batman.

vCash
    I too recently watched the games in full on a DVD box set. I had the opposite reaction. That is to say that I was re-awed by MJ. Meaning that for as great as I remember him, re-watching I was reminded of how much better he was than everyone else. Scottie and Kemp were on par with him athletically in that series, but I agree with those saying that Scottie and Jordan had well defined roles that interchanged from time to time depending on the situation. One thing that is easy to forget is that the entire league for 13 seasons built their defensive scheme against the Bulls around slowing down Jordan. For as important as Pippen was, he was able to strike at the weaknesses in the defense that MJ created. His job was to exploit openings where Jordan's was more to create them. Also, the defense they played together along with either Grant or Rodman was a thing to behold. Which brings me to another point I didn't agree with. That was that Jordan seemed to be dominant in only spurts. There is a natural flow to the game and Jordan was exceptional at reading it, but he was relentless all the time. If it wasn't on offense (where he sometimes waited to get teammates involved rather than attacking all the time) it was on defense. In a book about MJ that was published about 20 years ago, Jordan admitted that his favorite picture of himself was one that showed his feet and stance in perfect defensive position as he was guarding his opponent. He wanted perfection all the time and demanded it of himself and his teammates. The only thing I can say might make me agree that he wasn't quite as dominant looking as he was in earlier appearances was that MJ got much better (with the help of Phil Jackson) at trusting his teammates. In other words he was able to dominate the way he always had, but for the sake of the team, he backed off a bit. I can appreciate your observations BULLSFAN0810, but I had a different reaction to when I saw the games recently. Well that said, I watched the games against Boston in Jordan's second season and found it surprising that he managed to score 63 pts against the Celts without dominating the ball and while sharing the court with the shot happy Orlando Woolridge. In that game, Woolridge shot 33% from the floor on 9 of 27 shooting while scoring 24 pts. Jordan on the other hand shot a ton of shots (41) but was also 53% from the floor and obviously had 63 pts. So I guess in some ways I can see where you got that feeling, but as I watched more and more games on those discs, I got back the feeling I had back then. That Jordan was just plain better than everyone else and still managed to do whatever he wanted despite the fact that the sole purpose of opposing defenses was to stop or slow down MJ. They weren't able to do it. That's why we say he's the GOAT.
    Last edited by Strategery; 09-04-2013 at 11:41 PM.

vCash
    Paragraph form only. Until then you get an incomplete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyguy3 View Post
    Paragraph form only. Until then you get an incomplete.
    Who is this guy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Strategery View Post
    Who is this guy?
    Word blocks really are not fun to read.
    Last edited by ChitownbullsBG7; 09-05-2013 at 03:03 AM.

vCash
    Still good points and well said strat!

Procrastination is like masturbation. They're both fun until you realize your only ******* yourself!!!!

vCash
    Jordan = GOAT, end of story
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting