Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sandy Alderson: ‘It’s not a dream unrealized, it may be a dream deferred’

Sandy Alderson appeared on ESPN Radio with Mike Lupica and told Mets fans that the team’s plan remains intact, with or without Matt Harvey.

“It’s not a dream unrealized,” the GM said. “It may be a dream deferred. … The plan remains intact. Stockpile talent, lower the payroll to give us an opportunity to reinvest and win ballgames.”

Even without Harvey, Alderson said the team’s plan is “intact.”

“This is a setback – no questions about that,” he said. “But this is what happens in baseball. … This is not a situation where everything is tied to one cornerstone individual, where if that guy isn’t there, everything goes out the window.”

The team is prepared for these kind of risks, according to the general manager.

“That’s professional sports,” Alderson said. “Any plan for the future has to take into account these kind of risks. We have to be able to move forward. He’s part of a larger plan, but not the only piece. We will work through this… This does not alter our fundamental approach. It’s a twist we have to deal with, but in this game, you have to be prepared for these eventualities, however unfortunate they are. They occur and you have to deal with it.”

Alderson said that Harvey will still wait a few weeks before deciding whether or not to have Tommy John surgery to repair his torn UCL.

“We’re going to wait three weeks and test it, to see if he’s hurting,” Alderson said. “[Harvey] spoke to Roy Halladay yesterday and Halladay said ‘I had the same problem 10 years ago and I still haven’t had the surgery.’ There is reason to hope in that regard.”

On Tuesday, Harvey tweeted that he would return on April 1.

“What Matt tweeted wasn’t because he was in deep denial, there is some possibility that this can be avoided,” Alderson said. “Is there a risk it can tear further? Yes. Does that make any difference? If he doesn’t have the surgery, there will always be the risk. There is still some possibility that surgery will not occur and Matt will decide to do something else.”

As for moving forward with Zack Wheeler and other top pitching prospects, Alderson said they will tread carefully.

“We will be acutely aware with what’s going on,” he said. “These inning limits don’t always appear to work — they didn’t work in Matt’s case, We’re going to adhere to them. There’s some reason for being vigilant. it might not be absolutely scientific, but we’ll be on alert.”
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/sandy-a...ream-deferred/

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

… The plan remains intact. Stockpile talent, lower the payroll to give us an opportunity to reinvest and win ballgames.
    Is Sandy trying to say that we're still in the lowering payroll phase?

Technically yes. But that phase will give way at the end of the season for the "to give us an opportunity to reinvest and win ballgames." phase

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Technically yes. But that phase will give way at the end of the season for the "to give us an opportunity to reinvest and win ballgames." phase
    Hopefully he was just repeating the company line from earlier times and really is ready for the reinvestment phase. I'll believe it when I see it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Is Sandy trying to say that we're still in the lowering payroll phase?
    For 2014? I expect the active 25-man roster will be significantly higher, but the 40-man roster could be lower because Santana's contract has been expunged and they may not get back to that level unless they sign Cano, or two such as Ellsbury and Pence for example.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 08-28-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Alderson said that Harvey will still wait a few weeks before deciding whether or not to have Tommy John surgery to repair his torn UCL.

“We’re going to wait three weeks and test it, to see if he’s hurting,” Alderson said. “[Harvey] spoke to Roy Halladay yesterday and Halladay said ‘I had the same problem 10 years ago and I still haven’t had the surgery.’ There is reason to hope in that regard.”

This gave me some hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Hopefully he was just repeating the company line from earlier times and really is ready for the reinvestment phase. I'll believe it when I see it at this point.
    Yes, I believe he was.

No excuses Alderson. No-one is buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Yes, I believe he was.
    yup he said another big load of nothing.

was good to hear that it didn't change anything

Quote Originally Posted by knicks_champ View Post
    This gave me some hope...
    I can see it now

Harvey goes to 5 more all star games

Mets, Harvey, at odds over contract, Mets can't insure his elbow

“It may be a dream deferred. … The plan remains intact. Stockpile talent, lower the payroll to give us an opportunity to reinvest and win ballgames.”

I'm not surprised. I believe the Wilpons plan all along was to tank the better part of a decade with a slashed payroll, fatten themselves with SNY money and then finally spend for a contender when they're opening a few hundred stores around the stadium.

Like the Astros owner, they have a good thing going. Payroll is the biggest expense a Major League team has. In New York television revenue is enormous win or lose. If the Wilpons can clear $200 million plus in various TV revenue while spending $80 million or less on payroll, ballpark revenue is all gravy. They're doing well.

Obviously Alderson's statement does nothing to change my mind about Fred's intentions.

I can see it now, next year when sandy is asked why the mets did nothing in free agency, he will say " Well we had every intention of spending money this offseason, but when Harvey got hurt, it made more sense to wait for next year, but I swear , next year we will spend"

As usual he said nothing. And even if he said anything, I'd be hard pressed to put much time analyzing his words.

He is in PR mode, which is obviously a big part of his job.

We wait until the offseason to see what he will really do.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Lowering the payroll?

lol yeah, the Mets need to spend negative money for the Wilpons, players will have to pay to the Mets to play here in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    As usual he said nothing. And even if he said anything, I'd be hard pressed to put much time analyzing his words.

He is in PR mode, which is obviously a big part of his job.

We wait until the offseason to see what he will really do.
    But he said it so eloquently, that is all that matter to some fans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast