Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Pirates Acquire Marlon Byrd and John Buck

From Pirates Prospects

The Pittsburgh Pirates have acquired Marlon Byrd and John Buck from the New York Mets, according to Adam Rubin.

Source: John Buck and Marlon Byrd to #Pirates. #mets

Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) August 27, 2013

We heard earlier that an unknown team claimed Marlon Byrd, and obviously that team is the Pirates. Joel Sherman speculated today that the Pirates could also be interested in Buck, due to their need for catching. Im surprised that Byrd made it past the Reds and to the Pirates. Im also surprised Buck was added, since he doesnt really have the pitch framing skills that the Pirates go for.
    #Mets trading Buck, Byrd and cash to Pirates for MiLB SS Dilson Herrera and a PTBNL. More soon on http://t.co/ztv6wyKS6e.

Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) August 27, 2013
    I really don't like that we gave up Dilson Herrera for two rental players especially since one, Buck seems kind of pointless.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    I missed the part about a PTBNL but that has to be insignificant because Herrera is a very solid prospect.

vCash

I'm happy we got a bat that will really help us out down this stretch. I like this "half all in" cause idk what our rotation will be next year. I want to take advantage of what we have this year
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Some more context with my thoughts on this trade.

I do like the trade for the Pirates. Byrd and I suppose even Buck should help over the last 31 games or so. However I do think Herrera is sort of at the top end level of what these two are worth. I have no problem paying a top shelf price here just considering the circumstances (only 31 games left, Mets only had 1 team to negotiate with, both are FAs at year's end, etc) I would have thought we could have done this deal at a lower price.

vCash
    I'm not upset about it. Herrera is a nice prospect by all accounts and these are almost assuredly rentals, but I don't mind making a little splash. The team is gonna make the playoffs and has some obvious holes that need to be addressed. Go for it a little. It's more likely that Herrera doesn't pan out than that he does. Can't hoard prospects for ever.

I agree, take advantage of what we have this year. Giving up a second tier prospect - probably just in or around the top-10 for the system - isn't gonna ruin the farm.This isn't more than a minor nick to the system for that shot at maybe some sort of playoff run. Plus, does anyone doubt that Walker will be here playing second as long as the team wants him?

It's a big upgrade in right field, a position the team has gotten almost nothing from. Tabata to the bench (eventually) strengthens it a lot. Buck is an upgrade at backup of Sanchez, and even if the club falls in love with Sanchez' bat he'll be a nice pinch-hitting option in September. I like it.

And lastly, I trust the club knows what they have in Herrera better than any of us. I have some blind faith in them.

vCash
    Sounds good ManRam but one thing does concern me just ever so slightly here. NH said the PTBNL could be a pretty good piece. Now we could debate over semantics of what that means. Perhaps NH is trying to spare the feelings of whoever ends up being the PTBNL or perhaps he somehow sold the Mets that some dude they never heard of was a pretty good piece. But then again it also could mean what it looks like it means and another good prospect or even a 40 man player could be on the move. Not that there aren't people on the 40 man I'd gladly give up to complete this deal (Sands, Oliver, d'Arnaud just to name a few).

vCash
    As long as the PTBNL isn't anyone who could make a significant impact later on, I'm okay with the trade. While Tabata has been hitting well this month, RF has been a glaring hole all season and NH addressed that today, making us a more complete team down the stretch. Sure Herrera seems to be a lot for one month rentals but it was obvious that a move needed to occur and considering Low A is anything but a guarantee to reach the majors, and I think the trade is pretty fair

vCash
    Pirates still looking at Morneau, might not be done yet.

vCash
    Hopefully we can grab him too, assuming the players going the other way aren't anything too special

vCash
    i expect some combination of snyder,pie,presley to go to the mets or twins and gabby sanchez,james mcdonald and maybe a pitching prospect to be gone by sat afternoon. wow sat is going to be busy with thenfl teams cutting down to 53 and the trade deadline. lets go bucs

vCash
    There is a rumor the PTBNL will be Vic Black. If that is true that makes a little less happy about this. Black looks like he could be a quality middle reliever right now and he has the stuff to be a good back end guy in a year or two.

vCash
    Yeah, losing Black would be a bummer.

Hopefully Byrd is a little more like Lee than Ludwick...that will make things a bit easier to digest.

vCash
    I like the move

vCash
    NH said it will be an ouch prospect not a who prospect. I don't like that

vCash

Ruh Roh
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast