Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Matt Harvey Injury: Mets should still spend this offseason

Things were just starting to come together for the Mets, even if their 2013 record doesn't show it. The rotation, while not perfect, had legitimate pieces in place for a 2014 run. All they needed was to spend a bit on free agency to fill the holes in the lineup, add a dash of all-star third baseman David Wright, and suddenly they're in the NL East, or, at the least, wild card race.

In a matter of minutes, news relating to Matt Harvey went from ambiguous to awful for both the pitcher and his team's immediate future. It began with a report of an MRI for an unknown body part, and shortly thereafter word of a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament made the rounds. That's the confirmation at this point, and while it's unknown if he'll indeed go under the knife for Tommy John surgery, the chances for it are better than Mets fans would like. They can't all pull an Adam Wainwright and put years and hundreds of innings between a partial tear and the eventual TJ, you know.

Given that we don't yet know if Harvey will be gone for 2014 or not -- it all depends on if the swelling subsides -- it's difficult to say how Monday's injury news changes things for the Mets. They still have the aforementioned Wright, as well as rookie pitcher Zack Wheeler and top catching prospect Travis d'Arnaud, and if Jon Niese can return to his healthy, 2012 form, then the makings of a pretty good rotation are there even sans their ace. Just $33 million of their payroll for 2014 is guaranteed, so while they might not be ready to go all-in, there's definitely room to spend.

The fact that Harvey would -- based on regular recovery times for Tommy John recipients -- return for late-2014 or for the start of 2015 is what should keep the Mets on task, with the plan being to spend now on players they would have looked to bring in on long-term deals anyway -- 2014 was never going to be the only season the rebuilding and reloading of the Mets was about.. Get what will now be a head start on the next competitive Mets club by bidding on the likes of Jacoby Ellsbury to improve the outfield's defense and offense. Try to bring in Stephen Drew to be the team's shortstop, because so few high-quality ones are out there, and Drew can perform in the batter's box and with the glove. Aim for a corner outfield bat like Shin-Soo Choo so you aren't praying for Marlon Byrd to replicate what has been a career-best campaign at the age of 35. Or, just tell the haters to hate and bring back Carlos Beltran so he can close out his career and give winning with New York one more go.

Try to sign a solid pitcher to a deal that fits both with and without Harvey -- someone like Bartolo Colon, perhaps. He'll be 40, but he's been highly effective the past few seasons since his return, and he can help prop up the middle of the rotation while Niese and Wheeler try to keep the top steady in Harvey's absence, and Dillon Gee holds up the back-end. Assuming Jenrry Mejia can return without complication from surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow, he's another young arm who could make a Harvey-less rotation strong.

Losing Harvey is terrible news, even if it's not quite confirmed yet -- the knowledge he has a partially torn UCL will hang over the Mets in the future if he's able to avoid surgery in the present, because it's almost inevitable that his day will come. It shouldn't stop them from going after the players they were going to like for 2014 and beyond anyway, though, because Harvey will be back, and given the way these things work these days, he'll still be Matt Harvey.
    http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/8/2...t-zack-wheeler

Without a doubt. This is definitely a bump in the road, but Sandy is going to have to work around it and build a competitive team. We still have the resources and young pitching.

vCash
    Get Choo; sign Morales to play 1B, and let's roll. Hell, why not try out Flores in the OF?
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Of course they should, or you're saying this team is even further away than it looks.

Earn you corn for once Alderson, who have 3 GM's and an assistant GM at your disposal, tons of payroll if Fred is to be believed (yeah I know) - and some prospects to deal.

Don't gimme any BS about Matt Harvey either. Deal with it. Earn your money. Because so far you haven't.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 08-27-2013 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    Harvey's injury actually doesn't change what should be done this off season.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Yes. They will spend.

vCash
    They should but they probably won't, they will use the harvey injury as an excuse, and tell us how 2015 will be the big year for the franchise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Get Choo; sign Morales to play 1B, and let's roll. Hell, why not try out Flores in the OF?
    I'm still hoping for Abreu at 1st. It makes all the sense in the world to sign him.

LBJ 2015

vCash
    Dice K baby!!!!

vCash
    With the protected draft pick I would expect at least 1 big free agent signing. And with Montero and Thor, the pitching will be respectable next year. I would like Ellsbury and Drew; put Puello in RF and think about a 1B .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    He will be Duda 2.0 in the outfield. No range at all.

Capitalizing on the protected pick is a must.

vCash
    Harvey getting injured + making NO moves last offseason has totally killed this offseason.

Who is going to want to come to this team when we are coming off of a season where we tanked AND lost our best player?... Guys we want are going to be free agents. So as in they can choose to go wherever they want. Unless we overpay by a good amount we aren't going to sign who we want. And I don't see Sandy overpaying for anyone. That just isn't what he does.

Ok, some players will come, but we as a team are a lot less attractive because Harvey and some other young unproven guys are all we've got. Now we don't even have Harvey. Harvey getting injured has seriously killed my hope for next season. The whole process is going to be pushed back yet another year.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Of course they should, or you're saying this team is even further away than it looks.

Earn you corn for once Alderson, who have 3 GM's and an assistant GM at your disposal, tons of payroll if Fred is to be believed (yeah I know) - and some prospects to deal.

Don't gimme any BS about Matt Harvey either. Deal with it. Earn your money. Because so far you haven't.
    Agree.

Let's see how SA & Co. deals with loss of Harvey and the off-season wheeling and dealing. Now, we're going to see what the man can really do

It's make 'em or break 'em time Mr. Alderson.

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    Harvey getting injured + making NO moves last offseason has totally killed this offseason.

Who is going to want to come to this team when we are coming off of a season where we tanked AND lost our best player?... Guys we want are going to be free agents. So as in they can choose to go wherever they want. Unless we overpay by a good amount we aren't going to sign who we want. And I don't see Sandy overpaying for anyone. That just isn't what he does.

Ok, some players will come, but we as a team are a lot less attractive because Harvey and some other young unproven guys are all we've got. Now we don't even have Harvey. Harvey getting injured has seriously killed my hope for next season. The whole process is going to be pushed back yet another year.
    How come you didn't mention Wright? I expect Wright try and recruit a top FA to come here. Losing Harvey hurts but the team does have a plan and a number of good young arms.

I do agree the Mets might have to overpay a bit for a guy like Ellsbury and maybe Choo. The ball is in Sandy' & CO. court, it'll be an interesting offseason that'll show it's fans which direction the team is headed.
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 08-28-2013 at 05:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    Agree.

Let's see how SA & Co. deals with loss of Harvey and the off-season wheeling and dealing. Now, we're going to see what the man can really do

It's make 'em or break 'em time Mr. Alderson.

I will brook no excuses!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I will brook no excuses!
    I love that phrase!
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast