Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Predict the Rockets' Rotation

So, we've got about a month before the start of training camp and two months before the season begins, so rather than rehashing the same topics and discussing the same stuff in the same threads, let's discuss some new topics. With all of the Rockets recent signings and interest in veteran Royal Ivey, this 15-man roster and rotation could like like anything on opening day. Here's the players the Rockets have currently signed on the roster:

PG Jeremy Lin / Patrick Beverley / Isaiah Canaan / Aaron Brooks
    SG James Harden / Reggie Williams / Ronnie Brewer / BJ Young
    SF Chandler Parsons / Francisco Garcia / Omri Casspi
    PF Terrence Jones / Donatas Motiejunas / Greg Smith / Robert Covington
    C Dwight Howard / Omer Asik / Marcus Camby / Jordan Henriquez

That's 19 players without the addition of Ivey. Now, obviously some of those no-name guys are not going to make the cut and will either be playing elsewhere or be in the D-League when the season starts. Taking Out those guys, the roster looks like this:

PG Jeremy Lin / Patrick Beverley / Isaiah Canaan / Aaron Brooks
    SG James Harden / Reggie Williams / Ronnie Brewer
    PF Terrence Jones / Donatas Motiejunas / Greg Smith
    C Dwight Howard / Omer Asik / Marcus Camby

That still leaves 16 players (not assuming the signing of Ivey) with only 15 spots, 12 guys to dress on game day and realistically only 9-10 guys getting legitimate minutes. So, what does everyone think the rotation will look like on day one, and how will that rotation change as the season progresses?

vCash
    I posed the question, so it seems only fair that I answer it. For starters, I think Canaan will start the season in the D-League. He was banged up in the Summer League, so he hasn't really given the Rockets a chance to see what he can do yet. I think he'll eventually get a chance to contribute sometime toward the middle of the season, but not this early barring a monster performance in training camp. So that narrows it down to these 15 players who will make the opening day roster:

PG Jeremy Lin / Patrick Beverley / Aaron Brooks

But only 12 can dress on game day. Lin and Beverley are locks to make the team, and clearly the Rockets saw something they liked in Brooks last season to re-sign him. Keeping a third, veteran point guard makes sense, but I doubt he'll get many minutes unless Lin and Beverley really suck on game night.

The wings are where it starts becoming confusing. Obviously, Harden, Parsons and Garcia are locks. And Morey has coveted Casspi for a long time, so he'll make the 12-man roster if he plays well in training camp. Either Williams or Brewer will not dress on game days, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's both of them. Williams barely played any minutes at all last season for a terrible Charlotte team, and Brewer brings absolutely nothing to the table offensively. Brewer was the hardest cut to make, but when you look at all the wings the Rockets have and consider how many minutes Harden and Parsons will play, it doesn't make a ton of sense to keep a third swing man on this 12-man roster. Brewer will definitely make it to the 12-man roster should someone underperform or get injured, but I don't think he's there on opening tip off.

The front court is even more of a cluster****. Parsons and Howard are obviously locks to start, and Asik is definitely a lock to get legitimate minutes off the bench. But one player out of Smith, D-Mo and Camby has to sit. Based on last season, Motiejunas is the worst of these three players, but he's also the guy that brings something different to the table and who the Rockets front office will want to see improve this season. So he may get minutes on this roster he doesn't necessarily deserve. I think Camby would bring more to a contending team than Smith would, but I also think Camby is just insurance right now for when Asik gets dealt. There's always a chance either D-Mo or Smith starts the season with the D-League or someone gets hurt, but I don't think Camby will dress to start the season. Houston will keep him fresh in case of an injury and let him enjoy being home in Houston until they need him.

So that means Brewer, Williams and Camby will not be dressing for game day. But what will the rotation look like? Here's what I'm thinking:

PG Jeremy Lin (32) / Patrick Beverley (16) / Aaaron Brooks (0)
    SG James Harden (36) / Francisco Garcia (8) / Patrick Beverley (4)
    SF Chandler Parsons (30) / Francisco Garcia (10) / Omri Casspi (8)
    PF Terrence Jones (24) / Greg Smith (14) / Chandler Parsons (5) / Dwight Howard (5) / Motiejunas (0)
    C Dwight Howard (30) / Omer Asik (18)

In the back court, Brooks will only come in for junk minutes or in case Lin and Beverley are having off nights or struggling with fouls, while Beverley will also get some time at SG in small ball lineups. Garcia will be the primary wing off the bench at the 2 and 3, while Casspi will primarily stick to backup minutes at SF. PF is where things get interesting, but I think Jones starts the season off as the starter, because he's the most complete player, and I think he'll play the best next to Dwight. But Smith will get his fair share of minutes, because he's earned them. I think McHale would love Parsons to get some time at the 4 in small ball lineups, as well as playing Howard there when they want to go with the monster defensive front court. Motiejunas will have to earn his minutes, and he has not done that up to this point.

vCash
    Seriously? It's been over 24 hours and not a single other person has a take on this? Where are you at, Rockets fans?

vCash
    With Brewer signing, rumors came out of a Rocket trade in the works....now Ivey working out and many believe the Rockets are up to something. It may be too early for this and everyone knows where I stand; but here it goes
    (To be adjusted after a trade).

1st Unit (C) Asik (PF)** D12 (SF) Parsons (SG) Harden (PG) Beverley **I float D12 between 1st & 2nd units-insert T Jones with starters (blocks/rebounds and what I saw in the summer league....spreads the floor for Harden w/his shot

2nd Unit (C) D12 (PF) Motiejunas (SF)(SG) [*A] (PG) Lin [*B]

D-League: Canaan, Covington, BJ Young and Henriguez

2013/14 Houston Rockets (For Me Today) 1)D12...2) Harden 3) Asik 4)Lin 5)T Jones 6)Motiejunas 7)Camby
    8) F Garcia 9)Brewer 10)Aaron Brooks 11) Beverley 12)Casspi 13)Parsons 14)Greg Smith 15) Reggie Williams

[*A] players in a pool that is interchangeable between SF and SG: Garcia/Brewer/Reggie W/Casspi....Hot hand gets the minutes on 2nd team; which allows D12 and Lin to operate. In Brewers case-Defense on a SF/SG tough
    assignment.

Thinking outside the box.....since we have such a deep team-2 role players (Beverley/T Jones) mixed w/ Parsons, Harden and Asik is still very strong. 2 starter quality players (D12/Lin) mixed with role players DMo,& 2 from [*A] gives us a 2nd unit that beats most other teams 1st squads. If Lin can beat most opposing starters--He should
    shine vs 2nd string PG when logging time with D12!!!!!!

Two solid squads would give us full game rim defense and full game pressure on the offensive end. D12 makes
    everyone on the first and second team look like all-stars....improving their offensive abilities while covering up their defensive flaws.

[B*] I started a thread last year....Should the Rockets add a veteran? I mentioned Keynon Martin. People wrote back, No, we need to develop our young players. I knew Patterson and others would not be around long.
    Here is my Bold Prediction.....Lin may not make it past the trading deadline. The more I see Canaan, the more I think he will challenge Beverley for the starting position by mid December. He will be asked to bring the ball past mid-court and then give it to Harden. He will then act as a shooting guard from that point. His shooting mechanics are an instructional video....1) wrist cocked (extended) 2) elbow in 3) shlds square to the basket 4) follow-thru (wrist flexion-dip your fingers into the cup....rim ) 5) consistently-ect. Canaan will have a simplified role compared to his college gig. Would not be surprised if he shot 45-47% from 3's. If you watch footage on him...the defenders are picking him up at mid-court because of his range.....26-28 feet money in the bank. With Howard/Harden/Asik getting attention in the paint and Parsons on one side spreading the floor.....Canaan will get looks!!
    Lin may be playing tug-a-war with the ball with Harden trying to get individual numbers to show Houston he is worthy of that 15 mil due next year. Having him on the second team avoids conflict and allows Lin to still be aggressive. Lin will need to catch the eye of a team that needs a good P&R PG......or we may be eating that poison pill next year. We can showcase him on our 2nd team while not slowing Beverley's progress.

I don't know anything about Reggie; I will reserve judgement.....I liked Covington as a Scottie Pippen type SF/SG........Camby can be placed on IR until the playoffs. Greg Smith on my bubble list. Just my opinion.
    Not for debate....Good luck with your roster. As for minutes; I will let McHale figure that out. Stagger our substitutions probably gives us 56-58 wins with many good role players collecting dust on the bench.
    My two squads ......another bold prediction-----64-66 wins, since most teams would not be able to contend with that. Good teams would have to use starters the whole game (or majority of game)....most teams would just concede; especially if we are the second half of a back-to-back.
    Last edited by Jatman20; 08-28-2013 at 10:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Seriously? It's been over 24 hours and not a single other person has a take on this? Where are you at, Rockets fans?
    PF Terrence Jones (24) / Greg Smith (14) / Chandler Parsons (5) / Dwight Howard (5) / Motiejunas (0)

It's not that I don't care, but I can't really disagree with this. I think Motiejunas will get some playing time although I don't know where his minutes will come from.

vCash
    PG-Harden
    SG-Parsons
    SF-Monty
    PF-Howard
    C- Asik

Not the unit that will start, but I would love to see it...

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    PG-Harden
    SG-Parsons
    SF-Monty
    PF-Howard
    C- Asik

Dude, D-Mo at the 3? If he gets murdered defending the 4, imagine how bad he'd be defending small forwards. Cardboard cutouts would defend wing players better than Motiejunas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I posed the question, so it seems only fair that I answer it. For starters, I think Canaan will start the season in the D-League. He was banged up in the Summer League, so he hasn't really given the Rockets a chance to see what he can do yet. I think he'll eventually get a chance to contribute sometime toward the middle of the season, but not this early barring a monster performance in training camp. So that narrows it down to these 15 players who will make the opening day roster:

PG Jeremy Lin / Patrick Beverley / Aaron Brooks

But only 12 can dress on game day. Lin and Beverley are locks to make the team, and clearly the Rockets saw something they liked in Brooks last season to re-sign him. Keeping a third, veteran point guard makes sense, but I doubt he'll get many minutes unless Lin and Beverley really suck on game night.

The wings are where it starts becoming confusing. Obviously, Harden, Parsons and Garcia are locks. And Morey has coveted Casspi for a long time, so he'll make the 12-man roster if he plays well in training camp. Either Williams or Brewer will not dress on game days, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's both of them. Williams barely played any minutes at all last season for a terrible Charlotte team, and Brewer brings absolutely nothing to the table offensively. Brewer was the hardest cut to make, but when you look at all the wings the Rockets have and consider how many minutes Harden and Parsons will play, it doesn't make a ton of sense to keep a third swing man on this 12-man roster. Brewer will definitely make it to the 12-man roster should someone underperform or get injured, but I don't think he's there on opening tip off.

The front court is even more of a cluster****. Parsons and Howard are obviously locks to start, and Asik is definitely a lock to get legitimate minutes off the bench. But one player out of Smith, D-Mo and Camby has to sit. Based on last season, Motiejunas is the worst of these three players, but he's also the guy that brings something different to the table and who the Rockets front office will want to see improve this season. So he may get minutes on this roster he doesn't necessarily deserve. I think Camby would bring more to a contending team than Smith would, but I also think Camby is just insurance right now for when Asik gets dealt. There's always a chance either D-Mo or Smith starts the season with the D-League or someone gets hurt, but I don't think Camby will dress to start the season. Houston will keep him fresh in case of an injury and let him enjoy being home in Houston until they need him.

So that means Brewer, Williams and Camby will not be dressing for game day. But what will the rotation look like? Here's what I'm thinking:

In the back court, Brooks will only come in for junk minutes or in case Lin and Beverley are having off nights or struggling with fouls, while Beverley will also get some time at SG in small ball lineups. Garcia will be the primary wing off the bench at the 2 and 3, while Casspi will primarily stick to backup minutes at SF. PF is where things get interesting, but I think Jones starts the season off as the starter, because he's the most complete player, and I think he'll play the best next to Dwight. But Smith will get his fair share of minutes, because he's earned them. I think McHale would love Parsons to get some time at the 4 in small ball lineups, as well as playing Howard there when they want to go with the monster defensive front court. Motiejunas will have to earn his minutes, and he has not done that up to this point.
    Canaan would still count as a roster spot. We would have to cut him in order to keep your 15-men roster. Barring a trade, someone will have to be cut.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    I did the same thing.....I was putting 3 on injury list. Camby with back pain " wink-wink" along with two others; and I would hide Canaan and Covington (both have guaranteed money) in the D-League for seasoning.
    If that is the case and I have to have to clear a roster space for Canaan and Covington today......I have no problem cutting Reggie Williams and Greg Smith (non-guaranteed money).....if I can't trade Smith and Reggie. Call Hinkie.....76er's need more players. I brought up their roster depth and it doesn't even show them having a point guard. I will throw in Lin for some 3 team trade action.
    Last edited by Jatman20; 09-05-2013 at 07:55 AM.

vCash
    PG: Lin/Beverly/Canaan
    SG: Harden/Brewer/Brooks
    SF: Parsons/Garcia/Casspi
    PF: Montejunas/Jones/Smith
    C: Howard/Asik/Camby

Off the bench rotation
    6) Beverly
    7) Asik
    8) Garcia
    9) Jones
    10) Smith
    11) Brooks
    12) Brewer
    13/inactive) Campy
    14/inactive) Casspi
    15/inactive) Canaan
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

vCash
    Assuming there are no surprises and the three undrafted guys, Covington (although he has about 500 million guaranteed), Young and Henriquez get cut, and we don't sign anyone else, one out of Williams, Casspi, Brewer, Brooks and Smith will have to be cut. Brewer, Williams and Smith doesn't have guaranteed contracts so they make more sense, although I expect more from all three than Casspi. I think, for real, it's between Brewer and Williams for that last spot, and that will be decided only over training camp. As of now, Brewer seems to be the best option, but I'm fine either way.

PG: Lin/Beverley/Brooks/Canaan
    SG: Harden/Brewer or Williams
    SF: Parsons/Garcia/Casspi
    PF: Montejunas/Jones/Smith
    C: Howard/Asik/Camby

The rotation:

PG Jeremy Lin (33) / Patrick Beverley (11) / Brooks (4)

Brooks might be our best three-point shooter, I could see him getting minutes when we need to score quickly.

SG James Harden (38) / Patrick Beverley (10)

Beverley showed he can play SG and more importantly guard other SGs last season. When Harden is on the bench, Lin should be in the game and when Lin is on the bench, Harden should be in. Always.

SF Chandler Parsons (27) / Francisco Garcia (21)

Delfino played 25 minutes a game last season. I think Garcia would do just fine in 21 or so.

PF Terrence Jones (23) / Chandler Parsons (11) / Dwight Howard (8) / Motiejunas (6)

Here's the biggest concern. You have 4 completely different type of players. Jones seemed better than Motiejunas at the end of the season, so he's the favorite here. But Motiejunas got a lot stronger, and he needed to. I see Parsons getting big minutes here so we can play small and fast as we did last year, which worked really well. And Howard could get some big minutes against slower taller teams, especially when Harden is sitting on the bench.

C Dwight Howard (28) / Omer Asik (20)

48 minutes of elite defense here. Do you guys remember Scola and Hayes sharing the C position?

That's a 10-men rotation, but a 9-men rotation would make more sense, probably with Motiejunas not playing, and Jones and Parsons getting more minutes at the 4 and Garcia more on the 3.

Inactive or not getting minutes:
    Camby: Brought for veteran leadership and insurance if we end up trading Asik.
    Casspi: Haven't done anything since his first year, I don't expect much from him.
    Canaan: D-League all year long.
    Smith: Assuming he didn't develop a good mid-range shot this summer, might as well play Asik or Howard instead of him.
    Brewer or Williams: Brewer is a defensive specialist ineffective on the offensive end, Williams is the opposite. Garcia is a much more complete player and he can substitute the 25 minutes Delfino played last season.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Canaan would still count as a roster spot. We would have to cut him in order to keep your 15-men roster. Barring a trade, someone will have to be cut.
    You're right. I totally forgot about that. That being said, I also expect that last roster spot to be between Brewer or Williams. But I also would not be surprised to see an Asik trade right before the season starts involving other players which frees up roster spots.

vCash
    You make a good point with Beverley at SG.....I believe I saw on most sites (82games.com) he was off the charts while playing at that spot (PER for 48 min projection....27+). I agree with you on Parsons logging in time at PF. The reason I didn't care to make a play on Millsap.
    Last edited by Jatman20; 08-30-2013 at 04:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    PG-Harden
    SG-Parsons
    SF-Monty
    PF-Howard
    C- Asik

where not playing 2k man

HE's BACK

PACERS SIM Lg GM

vCash
    Lin(25)/Beverley(15)/Brooks(8)
    Harden(35)/Brewer(8)/Beverley(5)
    Parsons(25)/Garcia(20)/Brewer(3)
    Howard(7)/Parsons(11)/Jones(20)
    Asik(20)/Howard(28)

I guess its close to edutexans' prediction.

Most effective defensive lineup:
    Beverley
    Brewer
    Parsons
    Howard
    Asik

Most effective offensive lineup:
    Brooks
    Harden
    Garcia
    Parsons
    Howard