Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Will Slot WR Ever Stop Being a Dirty Word?

Do you think "Slot WR" will ever lose it's negative connotation and be considered more of it's own position?

I think we're seeing the early development of the true slot WR. Guys who are pure slot are getting drafted higher and higher and pure slot guys are producing more and more.

I hope one day they can be listed almost as their own position rather than being ranked with the 6 foot 5 freaks. They can't do what #1s can do, but those guys can't usually do their job either.

I feel it's a pretty danged under appreciated position at the top end right now.

vCash
    What caused this early development in the first place?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    What caused this early development in the first place?
    I'm assuming this is a Welker reference.

Which is true. It makes a **** load of sense though. So many undersized WRs were going by the wayside because they were viewed as not having value. Not they've found in the slot they can create production, mismatch issues, chain movers. They're becoming a partial running substitute because of being reliable.

Tavon Austin just went 8th overall. Dude is 5 foot 8. Without doing any research the only guy I can think of in recent memory that was that small drafted highly was my boy Troy Edwards and the dude had an inch on him.

Basically rather than tossing these types of athletes in the trash, they're fitting that skillet/body type into their offenses. It's a damn hard skillset to cover, even if it can't catch a corner EZ fade.

It's all part of the phenomenon that is the bottom up thinking in football. There's less of a caste system than there once was, starting younger and younger.

Once you had QB's who were runners converted to other positions, we see them keeping them their more because of the offenses run below the NFL. Now the NFL is integrating some of that.

Same with so many 5'8" 5'9" kids. Once CB converts pretty easily or at the least bulked up to CB.

Now we see kids coming in as big CB converts but staying at WR/RB etc. College offenses have figured out to use those kids and get big production. Now the NFL is playing copycat to that.

They finally figured out to mold their schemes to these talented productive college kids rather than sticking them into boxes they don't fit it. It's making the NFL as a whole a lot more competitive really. We're not losing great talented kids because they aren't X height or fit this exact mold that was looked for for so long.
    Last edited by Norm; 08-26-2013 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Do you think "Slot WR" will ever lose it's negative connotation and be considered more of it's own position?

I think we're seeing the early development of the true slot WR. Guys who are pure slot are getting drafted higher and higher and pure slot guys are producing more and more.

I hope one day they can be listed almost as their own position rather than being ranked with the 6 foot 5 freaks. They can't do what #1s can do, but those guys can't usually do their job either.

I feel it's a pretty danged under appreciated position at the top end right now.
    On the other side of the coin, nickel corner should stop being a dirty word. It used to mean you were the third best corner on the defense. Not anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    On the other side of the coin, nickel corner should stop being a dirty word. It used to mean you were the third best corner on the defense. Not anymore.
    Oh absolutely.

I think that's started to happen a bit, it's not as looked down in the past.

Though you're not seeing many "star" nickel corners. Nobody's drafting a guy top 32 to be their career third CB.

This is happening at WR.

vCash
    Oh absolutely.

I think that's started to happen a bit, it's not as looked down in the past.

Though you're not seeing many "star" nickel corners. Nobody's drafting a guy top 32 to be their career third CB.

This is happening at WR.
    True, but with how much teams are passing the ball, the nickel formation is becoming the base formation for a lot of teams. Last year, the 49ers 3rd CB (who wasn't their slot corner), played more snaps than their starting NT. Speaking of NT's, you are seeing that position drafted later and later, and less money spent on them.

The slot corner is basically a starter now. I remember reading the 49ers defensive coordinator saying that playing the slot corner is its own position. You can't just put anybody there. It takes certain attributes and technique to play it.

Also, being the nickel corner doesn't necessarily mean you are a third CB. I hate to use the 49ers as an example again, but it's who I know the best. Carlos Rogers is their #2 corner, but in the nickel formation he moves inside and Chris Culliver plays outside (now its' going to be Nnamdi doing that). So you can draft a guy with the intention of him covering slot corners and still have him play outside in your base formation and be one of your top corners.
    Last edited by DerekRE_3; 08-27-2013 at 12:09 AM.

vCash
    It actually is an old idea, we saw Nebraska's Johnny Rodgers win his Heisman as a slot receiver. Desmond Howard made it work at Michigan and Rocket Ismail did the same at ND. Just stick some speedy cat in the slot, He's going to make people miss. Why every team doesn't have a speedy/quick slot receiver....???? And why it hasn't always been done...???

Could make a case for Timmy Brown an old Philly Eagle out of Ball State as the first NFL slot receiver.
    Last edited by CCRider; 08-27-2013 at 12:08 AM.

vCash
    Oh and to actually answer Norm's question. Yes, it will. Like he said, Tavon Austin just went top 10. Though guys like him don't show up every draft. But with the current trend, you may see more guys like him developed instead of being turned into running backs at the college level.

vCash
    True, but with how much teams are passing the ball, the nickel formation is becoming the base formation for a lot of teams. Last year, the 49ers 3rd CB (who wasn't their slot corner), played more snaps than their starting NT. Speaking of NT's, you are seeing that position drafted later and later, and less money spent on them.

The slot corner is basically a starter now. I remember reading the 49ers defensive coordinator saying that playing the slot corner is its own position. You can't just put anybody there. It takes certain attributes and technique to play it.

Also, being the nickel corner doesn't necessarily mean you are a third CB. I hate to use the 49ers as an example again, but it's who I know the best. Carlos Rogers is their #2 corner, but in the nickel formation he moves inside and Chris Culliver plays outside (now its' going to be Nnamdi doing that). So you can draft a guy with the intention of him covering slot corners and still have him play outside in your base formation and be one of your top corners.
    The year we won the SB we played 5 DB's like 60%+ of the snaps with only 2 DL. We ran 2-4-5 more than anyone else ran any other defensive package by percentage.

I agree on the rest just talking about how teams value drafting a guy who can only play inside/best position inside at WR vs CB right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
    It actually is an old idea, we saw Nebraska's Johnny Rodgers win his Heisman as a slot receiver. Desmond Howard made it work at Michigan and Rocket Ismail did the same at ND. Just stick some speedy cat in the slot, He's going to make people miss. Why every team doesn't have a speedy/quick slot receiver....???? And why it hasn't always been done...???

Could make a case for Timmy Brown an old Philly Eagle out of Ball State as the first NFL slot receiver.
    No clue why it took so long for NFL teams to fully start to adapt. Part of it is the rules that more readily safeguard those guys running around in the middle certainly.

The overall change in philosphy of more of a passing orientated offense as well. Heck, those guys weren't doing much in the run blocking game over in the slot and now that they run less, that gets them more snaps and lessens their inability to do so.

vCash
    Oh and to actually answer Norm's question. Yes, it will. Like he said, Tavon Austin just went top 10. Though guys like him don't show up every draft. But with the current trend, you may see more guys like him developed instead of being turned into running backs at the college level.
    Yeah exactly. Heck we've seen guys even at RB, look at at the Oregon kid, De'Anthony Thomas. He was a 5 star CB IIRC but he wanted to play RB. Oregon let him. Now he's maybe the biggest game breaker in college. Coaches have started to realize that it's more than just size. Get guys in position's to produce, even if they don't fit the mold of decades past at a position. Slowly funneling upwards into the NFL now.

vCash
    Yeah exactly. Heck we've seen guys even at RB, look at at the Oregon kid, De'Anthony Thomas. He was a 5 star CB IIRC but he wanted to play RB. Oregon let him. Now he's maybe the biggest game breaker in college. Coaches have started to realize that it's more than just size. Get guys in position's to produce, even if they don't fit the mold of decades past at a position. Slowly funneling upwards into the NFL now.
    Not getting off topic....honest!

Once saw the top flag footbal team in the nation take on a team of NFL All Stars in flag football. Now the flag guys were 160/170 pound types with some serious quicks, they killed the NFlers, way too quick for them.

Put Thomas in the slot and watch how he blows by NFL defenders. They aren't used to those kinds quicks.

vCash
    I'm assuming this is a Welker reference.
    Ha! You know me too well. Was baiting you into taking the Welker angle.

When it comes to nickel corners, we just paid ours 4/16m which is pretty interesting. A lot of people weren't too thrilled about it considering he's poop on the outside.

vCash
    Its not a dirty word now so yes will stop because it never started
    The real 99% are idiots and sheep when you post give me a reason to believe you are part of the 1%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFaninLA View Post
    Its not a dirty word now so yes will stop because it never started
    Randall Cobb for example hates being labeled a slot WR. I'm sure that's because they are equals right?

vCash
    Randall Cobb for example hates being labeled a slot WR. I'm sure that's because they are equals right?
    There it is! You were gonna bring up Cobb eventually lol. At the end of the day it's semantics, whatever you wanna call him he's a damn good football player.

I think it's sick how the Jags have Denard Robinson listed as OW (offensive weapon) on the depth chart.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast