Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Was trading for Flynn a mistake ?

Absolutely !!! If your rebuilding a franchise ,why in gods name would you give up a draft pick and 6.5 million guaranteed for an unproven QB . They already had Pryor who showed he can lead the team . Then they go and take another QB in the draft and sign an undrafted free agent QB .
    When next year comes around , that draft pick would of come in handy . Not to mention 6 million . Now it looks like he will be riding the bench .

vCash
    If Pryor does not start week one I have lost all faith in Dennis Allen and trying to "compete". Grow a pair and play your own guy, if he doesn't I think it is solely not having a back bone to stick up to RM.

vCash
    Yes, they should have concentrated on the trenches and not QB.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    They paid way to much for Flynn. Bringing him in to compete was not a mistake IMO but what RM gave up for him was just silly.

vCash
    5 of Flynn’s dropbacks Fri. were under pressure, had QB rating of 0.0; 5 of Pryor’s dropbacks under pressure, QB rating of 118.8

According to last weeks game, I would say so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Vet View Post
    They paid way to much for Flynn. Bringing him in to compete was not a mistake IMO but what RM gave up for him was just silly.
    I agree!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Black&Silver 69 View Post
    Absolutely !!! If your rebuilding a franchise ,why in gods name would you give up a draft pick and 6.5 million guaranteed for an unproven QB . They already had Pryor who showed he can lead the team . Then they go and take another QB in the draft and sign an undrafted free agent QB .
    When next year comes around , that draft pick would of come in handy . Not to mention 6 million . Now it looks like he will be riding the bench .
    It is always empowering for one to type with hindsight and thus achieve perfection in all your doings. JaMarcus, Heyward-Bey, McClain and now Flynn. Looks like the road remains bumpy for now. Though I consider Flynn to be a minor bump compared to historic pot-holes. Every team needs two somewhat capable QB's going into camp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sHellsBells12 View Post
    It is always empowering for one to type with hindsight and thus achieve perfection in all your doings. JaMarcus, Heyward-Bey, McClain and now Flynn. Looks like the road remains bumpy for now. Though I consider Flynn to be a minor bump compared to historic pot-holes. Every team needs two somewhat capable QB's going into camp.
    Hindsight !!! Flynn just got beat out by a rookie last year . He has been a backup his whole career . He was taken by RM solely based on their history in Green Bay . This was not just another QB to compete . This was a love affair . Flynn might still get the start ,but not because he earned it . It will be because He is RMs guy .
    Last edited by Black&Silver 69; 08-25-2013 at 03:25 PM.

vCash
    No, it wasn't a mistake at all.

First, it cost very little. Reggie gave up a 5th round pick for 2014, and a conditional pick for 2015 that Flynn probably won't play enough to meet; Reggie has already showed that he's willing to wheel and deal on draft day, so Oakland can probably recoup the lost pick down the line.

Secondly, remember the cap implications. Reggie traded Palmer, then forced Flynn into a restructured deal - if Flynn gets the boot, Reggie will have cleared $17M in cap space to use on the 2014 roster.

Additionally, the Raiders needed someone with some experience to play QB. Reggie knew Flynn, felt comfortable with him... so they rolled with Flynn. Pryor was garnering a lot of criticism even late into 2012 for his fundamentals, throwing mechanics, etc - it's only in the past off-season that he's really refined his game as a QB.

Finally, let's not forget - mobile QB's get hurt. The absolute worst case scenario - at this point, does anyone think Flynn starts the whole season over Pryor...? - is that Oakland gained a moderately experienced QB to back Pryor up.

Reggie got all of that for a 5th round pick. Even in the worst case scenario, the Raiders get a backup QB who can be booted from the team with limited cap implications.

What the "Reggie-bashers" don't seem to realize is that even when Reggie screws up, he's getting something for his efforts.

vCash
    Again, the acquisition of a QB was necessitated once Palmer's departure was imminent. I believe Pryor was the lone QB on the roster and he simply hadn't instilled sufficient confidence to neglect the need for competition and security.

Neither the cost of Flynn nor his acquisition are considerable enough to warrant outrage. I place the highest value on draft picks, but the ones lost in the trade are rather easily recouped. They are not as significant as being portrayed. Also, Flynn was immediately restructured in a manner to signify a one year bridge/tryout. This is hardly indicative of a commitment or overwhelming confidence in a "RM guy". In fact, had RM been so high on Flynn, he probably would have pursued him aggressively an offseason ago.

RM needed a QB and sided with familiarity, and did so with no long-term ramifications. Again, if these are the type of acquisitions that will subjected to ridicule, reasonable discussions will simply be hindered.

vCash
    As I typed, Shred hit on the major points.

vCash
    Im a huge Pryor fan cause its the way I think we should go for now. With that said, Flynn's trade was not a mistake....... The only thing bad was we wasted a draft pick on another qb. GET LINEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought Flynn was brought in to compete, and that's what we got was a good competition and so far, by far, Pryor is winning. Flynn is a good back up. Lets move on.

vCash
    The couch GM's have spoken

I'd love to hear who they would've signed as a Fa instead of Flynn on a one year deal....
    A stop gap is a stop gap

vCash
    Flynn looked horrible last week, he was lost and confused, sacked 5 times.

This week he was even worse, if that were even possible.

And he was the cat getting first team reps all this time?

How's he going to all of a sudden turn things around when he becomes a back up? I think he's still guna suck, bad too.

Really, at this juncture based on what I've seen- McGloin would be my back up. I'd give him all second team reps and groom him for the future, because he's earned it.

No scholarships.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    The couch GM's have spoken

I'd love to hear who they would've signed as a Fa instead of Flynn on a one year deal....
    A stop gap is a stop gap
    Vince Young

"Just Win Baby!"

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast