Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which one do you want to see go?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jerry Dipoto

4 30.77%
  • Mike Scioscia

5 38.46%
  • Both

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Scioscia, Dipoto stay; Eppard and Picciolo let go

The Angels are likely to replace either GM Jerry DiPoto or manager Mike Scioscia before the 2014 season, FOX Sports' Jon Morosi reports (in a series of tweets). Morosi explains that there are "philosophical differences" between DiPoto and Scioscia that make continuing on with both of them "not tenable."

Relations between DiPoto and Scioscia have been strained since at least early in the 2012 season, as Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times noted in May of that year. The two disagreed over the firing of hitting coach Mickey Hatcher, and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote in late 2012 that Scioscia also disliked assistant GM Scott Servais, and was "resistant" to using DiPoto's staff's statistical data.

Scioscia is signed to a ten-year contract that continues through 2018, with salaries of $6MM annually from 2016 through 2018. So if the Angels were to fire Scioscia, they would have to eat the remainder of that contract. DiPoto is only signed through 2014. Scioscia's contract is mostly a sunk cost, of course, and hiring a new manager wouldn't require the Angels to pay nearly as much. There's also the possibility that Scioscia could end up with another team. But as Morosi notes, Scioscia's contract could be a factor.

Another factor potentially in Scioscia's favor is that he is not directly responsible for many of the Angels' most troublesome decisions in the past two years, including the big-ticket signings of Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton and the trade of Jean Segura and two other players for 13 starts by Zack Greinke. Scioscia also is not responsible for the Angels' farm system, which currently rates as one of the worst in baseball.
    Last edited by vladdy#27; 10-08-2013 at 09:06 PM.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    Well if one of them has to go, I'd want it to be Scioscia. I in no way blame him for this season, but his unwillingness to research sabermetrics and his old school ways are not going to last in today's game. Dipoto has made some decent moves (I blame Pujols and Hamilton on Moreno) and I'd like to see his scouting department reach its full potential.

vCash
    Former Orioles great Cal Ripken is more interested in a big-league managerial job than he has been in the past, Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports. His interest could extend to the Nationals job, which will be open once Davey Johnson retires at the end of the season. "I’ve been asked to interview for many managing jobs, and I never said yes because I was never serious about it, and I thought it would be wrong to go through that process," says Ripken. "I haven’t been asked by [the Nationals]. ... I think I would be more curious at this stage in my life than I have been."
    Arte likes big names, match made in heaven

vCash
    Yeah, if anyone goes, it should be Scioscia.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    jerry got to go

vCash
    (I blame Pujols and Hamilton on Moreno)
    Funny that everyone was praising Dipoto for going after Pujols and Hamilton when he signed them. I didn't hear one single person on here saying that it was a mistake for the Angels making a move. Now it is Moreno's fault for paying the money to make your dreams come true?
    List of negative Lakers fans to watch out for this upcoming season on these forums. Even with Steve Nash or D12, they'd find something to complain about:

lamar2006
    LALakersKC
    Bryan12
    evadatam5150
    mstrdrk
    so_cal_watcher
    Lakersfan2483
    Teeboy1487
    midwestlaker75
    silvteg98
    J4KOP99
    SUPREME LA
    Vinylman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Yeah, if anyone goes, it should be Scioscia.
    he has like 5 years left. I don't think he is going anywhere.

vCash
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/so-wh...e-angels-suck/

Thought this was a really good article. Should definitely take a look if you can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/so-wh...e-angels-suck/

Thought this was a really good article. Should definitely take a look if you can.
    So Why Do the Angels Shuck?

That is an article I would be interested in reading. #heartandhustle #grit #gamer

vCash
    jerry got to go

vCash
    Adios Jerry.
    Avatar will not change until the Angels reach .500
    thanks to popo85 for sig

vCash
    From the sounds of it, DiPo and Reagins before him were both not given much control over the team.

vCash
    I don't know how much i can blame either of these guys for this season, Scioscia had been out performing his pythag for years and then Arte started giving him players that weren't his style. Scioscia likes teams with good defense and good speed and good obp, he has been given kind of the opposite of that. And from the sounds of it all the big market monstrosities have come from Arte, so how can i blame DiPoto. I think just because of the past track record and more importantly the size of his contract it will be unlikely that they let go of Mike.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    From the sounds of it, DiPo and Reagins before him were both not given much control over the team.
    what about stonemen?

laker, angels, ducks, and titans diehard fan
    vCash
    Something needs to happen.... It's embarrassing to watch them play

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast