Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Preds and Blues Try To Keep Hawks Fans Out (Opposing Fans in Your Building)

The Blues have joined the Predators in creating a ticket policy designed at keeping Blackhawks fans from getting tickets. Basically, you won't be able to buy single game tickets when they play @Nash or STL. Those tickets will only be available as part of mulitple game packages. What do you think about these policies and what do you think about opposing fans in your building in general?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...2bc82abea.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...143253505.html

Full disclosure, I'm a Hawks fan. I get that opposing fans can be frustrating in your building, but I also think that it can add to the experience. I know going to Hawks games in the late 90's early 00's that the stadium would only be half full unless they played the Wings or the Blues. A lot of Wings fans would come down and it would piss you off, but it also gave meaning and excitement to the game. The Hawks didn't have a lot of meaningful games in those years.

vCash
    honestly as much as opposing fans are annoying(melnyk tried doing something similar last year) im surprised teams do this especially the small/smaller market teams, why turn away potential revenue. also i agree it adds to the experience, sens and leafs games are really exciting in the ctc, near playoff atmosphere

vCash
    Awesome. I have a problem with fans flying across the country to invade a home rink. I don't have a probably with teams in close proximity doing it though. Make the atmosphere better when Habs fans are at B's games and vice versa.

vCash
    I dont like it.. I root for a lot of teams that are not my home team, so when one of my fav teams come into town Ill go to the game.

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    I posted my opinion on it a week earlier in the Blackhawks forum. For the hockey team, it's fine. For the city, it's stupid. And for who posted "I have a problem with B's flying to Montreal", so what? That's a loyal fan right there. Phoenix would 100% be gone if it wasn't for fans like the Red Wings going to Phoenix and buying tickets, and filling up half of the arena. You will see that quite a bit with original 6 teams, who have some of the best fan support in the world. You can obviously add other big teams up there as well.

vCash
    You can't really stop loyal fans from going to a certain city to support their team. Not every fan of every team lives in that team's respective city. SensandRaps has a good point in turning away potential revenue.

vCash
    I think the reason the Preds and the Blues would do this is because of their own fanbase. I think I remember reading that when the Preds first started doing this the reason they did it was because whenever the teams in close proximity to them would come into town their own fans had trouble getting tickets. It wasn't that they were upset at other fanbases, or didn't want the revenue, but would prefer for their fans to get tickets first. I believe at a certain point they will release single-game tickets for those games. I'm not sure of the threshold but I do recall that happening. Something like a day or two before the game. You have to keep in mind that teams like that aren't selling out and don't sell a lot of tickets too far in advance. Therefore when their average fan shows us as he always does on gameday and expects to purchase tickets at the window as he always does but then gets turned down because 10,000 Blackhawks fans showed up... Granted, if you want to see your team buy the tickets in advance. I think it's just a smaller market's way of winning favor with their fanbase.
    Last edited by FlyGuys89; 08-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.

vCash
    I have always wondered what it must be like to play in a stadium where your home fans are outnumbered by visiting fans. That must be utter hell. Seriously, could you imagine playing in a stadium where your team is at home, and yet they feel as if they are at an away game?

I have been wondering this for years. Take the Tampa Bay Rays of old, Red Sox and Yankees fans would swarm that stadium and totally outnumber the local, albeit small fan base. As a player what is that like? I'm not saying that this is why the Preds are doing this, but it has to have a tiny bit to do with it no? I have always wondered about how damaging that must be to the player's attitudes when playing.

So many guys feed off the crowd when they play, imagine not having that at all when paying home games in Florida, Phoenix, etc. Thoughts?

vCash
    I'm not sure why people are saying I can't believe they are going to turn down all that revenue...This is to increase ticket sales. These games are still going to be sold out, except to go you have to pay for two games. This is nothing but an attempt to increase ticket sales for other less sought after games. It's masked as a keep other fans out but in reality it's please buy a ticket to a crap game vs columbus as well.

vCash
    wow. Loyal fan presence over $$$. On the other hand, those fans pay for 2 games.
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

vCash
    lol sens tried something like this to keep leaf fans out but seems the leaf fans were still the loudest in the building when the leafs played the sens in ottawa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-50 View Post
    lol sens tried something like this to keep leaf fans out but seems the leaf fans were still the loudest in the building when the leafs played the sens in ottawa
    it was closer than what it has been recently in terms of sens vs leafs fans, leafs still being the majority haha, its partially because the fairweather sens fans end up selling the ticket at triple the face value since they know leaf fans will pay that price

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SensandRaps View Post
    it was closer than what it has been recently in terms of sens vs leafs fans, leafs still being the majority haha, its partially because the fairweather sens fans end up selling the ticket at triple the face value since they know leaf fans will pay that price
    Sens have fairweather fans How is that possible?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SensandRaps View Post
    honestly as much as opposing fans are annoying(melnyk tried doing something similar last year) im surprised teams do this especially the small/smaller market teams, why turn away potential revenue. also i agree it adds to the experience, sens and leafs games are really exciting in the ctc, near playoff atmosphere
    Because your fanbase > additional short term revenue.

If Joe Blow is going to his first Preds game and the arena is half full of Hawks fans booing the local team, he isn't buying tickets again. The Hawks history shows that once their team starts losing again, all of those Hawks fans will stop buying tickets and the Preds don't want to run off their actual fanbase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Because your fanbase > additional short term revenue.

If Joe Blow is going to his first Preds game and the arena is half full of Hawks fans booing the local team, he isn't buying tickets again. The Hawks history shows that once their team starts losing again, all of those Hawks fans will stop buying tickets and the Preds don't want to run off their actual fanbase.
    See I disagree with this. As a Hawks fan in the early 00s you could go to the UC with 10,000 fans any night and the building was dead. Or you could go to the Wings game with the place full and half of the fans were wings fans. Sure you hated them, but it made the game so much more fun. Anything is better than no atmosphere/excitiement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast