Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

10 Greatest Players of All-Time

There's a thread in the NBA forum mentioning how Michael Jordan is without a doubt the best player in the world, and it mentions other sports, including hockey. Most said Wayne Gretzky was without a doubt, the best player ever. I noticed Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr (ranked at #1 in there in a few posts), Mario Lemeuix, and Mark Messier were all mentioned as the #2 players. We're even forgetting some all-time greats like Brett Hull, Steve Yzerman, Mike Bossy, Joe Sakic, Jaromir Jagr, Nick Lidstrom, Ray Bourque, Dom Hasek, Martin Brodeur, and so on.

Looking at peaks, careers, and so on. What is your top ten list of the greatest players of all-time?

vCash
    Im assuming goalies are included

1 - Wayne Gretzky
    2 - Mario Lemieux
    3 - Bobby Orr
    4 - Maurice Richard
    5 - Patrick Roy
    6 - Mark Messier
    7 - Gordie Howe
    8 - Sidney Crosby
    9 - Ray Bourque
    10 - Mike Bossy

Bonus ......... The DOMINATOR.......imo 2nd if not best goalie ever!!

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Marty was 2 games from winning the cup at age 40 & you don't have him in your top 10? Not meaning to stir you up just curious is all.

I don't know as much about hockey as most of you guys but from reading & watching the devils off & on since about 95 (12 years old) I would think Marty should be in the top 10?

Though I do know that offensive players get more attention than defensive players.

vCash
    1. Bobby Orr
    2. Wayne Gretzky
    3. Gordie Howe
    4. Mario Lemieux
    5. Rocket Richard
    6. Ray Bourque
    7. Mark Messier
    8. Mike Bossy
    9. Jean Beliveau
    10. Marcel Dionne

Bobby Orr was the most dominant player in the game in any era, and if he, like Lemieux, had had the luxury of a long, healthy career I have no doubt he would be at the pinnacle of most lists. Orr simply played the game at a different speed. He owned the puck, he owned the ice, and when he was on his game he was closer to unstoppable than any other player ever. He racked up 8 straight Norris Trophies, 3 Harts, 2 Conn Smythes and a Calder. However, most amazing was his 2 Art Ross Trophies. That’s right, he led the league in scoring twice, as a defenseman! He holds the single season record for points by a defenseman with 139, the 2nd highest total for goals with 46 and racked up 915 points in just 657 career games. It truly boggles the mind to wonder what this guy could have done in his NHL career with 2 healthy knees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Marty was 2 games from winning the cup at age 40 & you don't have him in your top 10? Not meaning to stir you up just curious is all.

I don't know as much about hockey as most of you guys but from reading & watching the devils off & on since about 95 (12 years old) I would think Marty should be in the top 10?

Though I do know that offensive players get more attention than defensive players.
    You're looking too much into Martin Brodeur almost winning it all at 40.. He didn't win games. He was simply, I don't know how to say this, average to above average. Chris Osgood made 2 Stanley Cups in a row at the end of his career, and I never viewed him as a good to great goaltender then.

vCash
    And for the record, I strongly believe that Nick Lidstrom is better than Ray Bourque.

vCash
    There's Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Messier and Lemieux and then there's everyone else. As far as goalies go I prefer Roy over Brodeur and it has nothing to do with me being a Ranger fan but more about me being Canadian and watching what Roy was able to do in the net at every level of hockey. Having said that Brodeur changed the way goalies played with his puck moving ability and ended up changing some rules because of it, so it's more of a 1a 1b type thing.

vCash
    Orr
    Gretzky
    Lemieux
    Howe
    Messier
    Bourque
    Lidstrom
    Rocket
    Beliveau
    Bossy

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Steve Yzerman's peak was quite impressive. I think his peak might have been better than Messier's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    And for the record, I strongly believe that Nick Lidstrom is better than Ray Bourque.
    How I forgot about Nick Lidstrom is beyond me lol. I dont think he was better than Bourque but I shoulda put him in my top 10 for sure

take crosby out and slide Bourque up and Lidstrom right behind him

"I stole and I robbed ....and I kidnapped the President's son and held him for ransom, AND I DIDNT GET CAUGHT NEITHA ! " - Prison Mike

vCash
    Steve Yzerman's peak was quite impressive. I think his peak might have been better than Messier's.
    It would appear you're alone on that boat.

vCash
    I only comment on guys that I saw play or were near the time I started watching hockey. I cant comment on guys from the 1920's-1960's that I did not have a clue about outside of reading.

Wayne
    Bobby
    Mario
    Bossy
    Crosby
    Bourque
    Hull
    Guy
    Jagr
    Esposito

vCash
    You're looking too much into Martin Brodeur almost winning it all at 40.. He didn't win games. He was simply, I don't know how to say this, average to above average. Chris Osgood made 2 Stanley Cups in a row at the end of his career, and I never viewed him as a good to great goaltender then.
    Let's not forget Hasek.
    Let's compare their stats. I have chosen the time frame of the 1993-94 season through the 2001-02 season. This matches the time frame that all three went head to head, with Brodeur and Hasek arriving in the NHL as starting goalies. I picked 2002 as the end point as that was when Hasek initially ended his NHL career.

Those numbers are pretty amazing. Hasek clearly dominated the era, with all the Vezina and All Star honors, plus 2 Hart trophies as the NHL's MVP to boot. He has by far the best save percentage and the best GAA, despite playing with arguably the weakest team.

Look at that save percentage number - 0.926, the number that many agree is the one goalie stat that is not team dependent. Hasek's percentage is significantly better than Roy's or Brodeur's.

And he had to take a lot more shots to post that sparkling number. Despite playing in 60 fewer games, Hasek faced 925 more shots than Brodeur. Yet he allowed 135 fewer goals.

Emphasis on playoff success certainly is an important consideration, though Canadian media tend to over use it too liberally to discredit the foreigner Hasek. Make no mistake, such politics does unfairly these greatest ever debates. Why else is Hasek not usually mentioned, at least on this side of the Atlantic.

Roy certainly does impress in the playoffs, with NHL records for games and wins, as well as three Conn Smythe trophies as playoff MVP. When it counted most, Roy got the job done. Roy's GAA is noticeably higher, although he did begin his career earlier and in the latter half of the higher scoring 1980s.

So if we concede Hasek was the best of the three in the regular season, and the Roy the best of the playoffs, Brodeur ends up third fiddle in a comparison of his peers.

here's the link to see the stats, couldn't post them.
    http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...-greatest.html

vCash
    Man, threads like these are tough. It's way too difficult for me to rate the greatest of all time that includes ALL positions. I would have to break mine up by position to avoid myself going crazy. I also don't think it's fair to rate it that way. So I'll do mine by position. I'm also not going to include any current players like Crosby. While one day he will certainly deserve to be high on this list, his career is not over. However, I will include Brodeur, as his career is basically over...

Forwards:
    1. Wayne Gretzky
    2. Mario Lemieux
    3. Gordie Howe
    4. Bobby Hull
    5. Mark Messier
    6. Maurice Richard
    7. Stan Mikita
    8. Jaromir Jagr
    9. Phil Esposito
    10. Mike Bossy

Defenseman:
    1. Bobby Orr
    2. Ray Bourque
    3. Niklas Lidstrom
    4. Denis Potvin
    5. Doug Harvey
    6. Al MacInnis
    7. Pierre Pilote
    8. Paul Coffey
    9. Larry Robinson
    10. Chris Chelios

Goalies:
    1. Patrick Roy
    2. Martin Brodeur
    3. Domink Hasek
    4. Terry Sawchuk
    5. Glenn Hall
    6. Ken Dryden
    7. Jacques Plante
    8. Bernie Parent
    9. Georges Vezina
    10. Johnny Bower

Honorable Mentions: oh, what could have been...
    1. Eric Lindros
    2. Steve Yzerman (phenomenal career already. what could he have done without the knee issues?)
    3. Pavel Bure
    4. Peter Forsberg
    5. Cam Neely
    6. Pelle Lindbergh
    7. Vladimir Konstantinov
    8. Paul Kariya
    9. Pat LaFontaine
    10. Marc Savard

None of these are in any particular order aside from the top 2-3 at each position. The honorable mentions aren't really ordered either, but I think it's safe to say we all wish Lindros would've stayed healthy so we could've seen what he was capable of over the long haul.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    It would appear you're alone on that boat.
    From the 86/87 season to the 94/95 season was probably both of their peaks. Steve Yzerman posted better numbers. I get it, you're a Rangers fan, I'm a Red Wings fan, but to say it's not close is laughable really.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast