Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,096
    vCash
    1500

    Bucs Facility Treated For MRSA

    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have recently treated their facility in an effort to erase any existence of MRSA, a serious staph infection that has sidelined Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks and also resulted in placekicker Lawrence Tynes having surgery this week on an infected toe, general manager Mark Dominik confirmed to ESPN.

    Doctors diagnosed Nicks and Tynes as each having contracted MRSA, a powerful bacteria resistant to penicillin-type treatment. Nicks recently revealed he had a staph infection to his toe that would sideline him indefinitely. Bucs head athletic trainer Todd Toriscelli also has battled an infection since having offseason knee surgery, but he was not diagnosed with MRSA.

    "We had a company come in and nuke the building a week ago after the cultures taken from Nicks and Tynes confirmed it was MRSA," Dominik said. "It was a precautionary move, but we didn't want to fool with it. Our owners said spare no expense; we had the facility treated, and the league office approved of our actions."

    The NFL Players Association has been monitoring the extent of MRSA existence within the Bucs facility. Dominik said head coach Greg Schiano informed staff and players of the MRSA problem last week.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...-mrsa-outbreak

    Fire the cannons.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brandon, Florida, United States
    Posts
    2,872
    vCash
    1500
    ****...
    "In dieing need of a rebound season, 2o14 Leggo"



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    7,617
    vCash
    1500

    Rep Power: Earned His Stripes

    >Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    3,872
    vCash
    1500
    ^Dubbz hit it on the head.
    I am a member of the BUC NATION

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ilion, NY
    Posts
    7,500
    vCash
    1500
    we cant catch a ****ing break

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,096
    vCash
    1500
    So unfortunate. This exact same scenario happened in Cleveland and it forced LeCharles Bentley to an early retirement.

    Fire the cannons.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brandon, Florida, United States
    Posts
    2,872
    vCash
    1500
    Tissss, let's prey Nicks ain't done... Guy has HOF ability I cant see this guy out in his prime for dis bull!
    "In dieing need of a rebound season, 2o14 Leggo"



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,057
    vCash
    1500
    Should be fine as long as they catch it in time and it doesn’t spread. This stuff does spread like wildfire though, I worked with a few athletes who have gotten it before. Stuff is no joke. Good news is you get them on the medication and it usually clears up in a week or 2. Nicks should be fine. A lot of times when you do “surgery” to treat MRSA, this means that you have to open up the infection and clean it from the inside out.

    I just hope it’s sterilized from our locker room now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    1,113
    vCash
    1500
    Horrible news….. This stuff legit ends careers….. We gotta nip it in the bud and be very aggressive. MRSA has killed people in extreme cases. Anyone who has an abrasion or open cut is in serious jeopardy. This is the kind of thing that can LEGIT ruin our season…… Hopefully we can identify the vector and eradicate it but that is sometimes hard to do.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,057
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy44 View Post
    Horrible news….. This stuff legit ends careers….. We gotta nip it in the bud and be very aggressive. MRSA has killed people in extreme cases. Anyone who has an abrasion or open cut is in serious jeopardy. This is the kind of thing that can LEGIT ruin our season…… Hopefully we can identify the vector and eradicate it but that is sometimes hard to do.
    Ended a career*. 1 out of how many thousands of players in the NFL? Bentley contracted the infection after having major knee surgery so he had a huge wound. This is a little bit different. Yes its a serious thing but having worked with it first hand there are minor cases and severe cases. An infected blister on Nicks foot doesn’t sound too serious...as of now. We all need to relax in here a little bit.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    1,113
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PewterNRed View Post
    Ended a career*. 1 out of how many thousands of players in the NFL? Bentley contracted the infection after having major knee surgery so he had a huge wound. This is a little bit different. Yes its a serious thing but having worked with it first hand there are minor cases and severe cases. An infected blister on Nicks foot doesn’t sound too serious...as of now. We all need to relax in here a little bit.
    Are you a nurse or Doctor, because my understanding is its pretty serious and hard to eradicate? There was the Vet in Washington who still is not right. Also I think there was a kid in college who died? Then I think there was another guy who lost an arm... Plus Bentley, Its super dangerous.... Anyone with an open wound can get it and once infected its hard as sin to eradicate. When Cleveland got hit with this it took down 6 confirmed players. Winslow even stated he had problems with it as I recall. It looks like we are out in front of this but downplaying the seriousness won’t help....We need to be aggressive
    Last edited by hammy44; 08-23-2013 at 11:58 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    7,617
    vCash
    1500
    Heard a guy on the Radio talk about when he had it. He was in the hospital for about 4-6 weeks then he was fine. It really depends on how your body reacts to the treatment. There is no real cure or medicine design pacifically for the infection unfortunately. They use a remedy of antibiotics that can vary in the time it takes to kill off the infection. I say we likely wont see Nicks till maybe half way through season. Career ended? I'm trying to remain optimistic that they diagnosed him before it got out of hand.

    Rep Power: Earned His Stripes

    >Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Clearwater
    Posts
    7,617
    vCash
    1500
    I just read some more into MRSA. After reading about people who had it or knew people who had it they say its a really BAD ISSUE TO HAVE!

    If I were the Bucs Id not allow my players/personal/media back into the training facility. For real! If any player/person has a cut or anything MRSA can get in there very fast. People talked about how they had to sterilize their house and burn their sheets repeatedly. Ugh. I just hope everyone who had contact with Nicks (basically the entire staff and team) is being checked thoroughly.

    Rep Power: Earned His Stripes

    >Watch Me On Twitch Here<
    Click Here to Become a PSD Member!
    ★I am a Member of the BUC NATION

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,057
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy44 View Post
    Are you a nurse or Doctor, because my understanding is its pretty serious and hard to eradicate? There was the Vet in Washington who still is not right. Also I think there was a kid in college who died? Then I think there was another guy who lost an arm... Plus Bentley, Its super dangerous.... Anyone with an open wound can get it and once infected its hard as sin to eradicate. When Cleveland got hit with this it took down 6 confirmed players. Winslow even stated he had problems with it as I recall. It looks like we are out in front of this but downplaying the seriousness won’t help....We need to be aggressive
    Haha not a doctor or anything cool like that. I’m and athletic trainer. The way to treat it is to go into the wound everyday and scrub it clean. Antibiotics don’t work so you use topical creams and keep it as clean as possible. It is a very serious thing but if you google search it you can see the severity of the cases. Some of them look like a zit while others can eat away at your leg. Very contagious so that is why they are taking all of these precautions, not to mention the lawsuit from Bentley.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    729
    vCash
    1500
    This and finding out Ben Affleck is the new Batman is a horrible start to the weekend.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •