Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Is Hester HOF material?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 60.00%
  • No

6 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Is Hester a HOF candidate?

The list of the best returners in NFL history has Devin Hester at or near the top and the Bears veteran thinks that his accomplishments on that front have him closing in on a spot on the list of the best players ever to play professional football.

Hester has returned 12 punts, five kickoffs and a missed field goal for touchdowns over the course of his career, which is the basis of his contention that he has built the foundation for a resume that could land him in the Hall of Fame when his career comes to an end. Kicker Jan Stenerud is the only player in the Hall solely because of his work on special teams, but Hester thinks a big year in 2013 will put him very close to a yellow blazer.

“I have one foot in right now,” Hester said, via Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Tribune. “If I take three or four back this year, it should be considered 80 percent chance of making it. But I am not really worried about it right now. I am really focused on this season. After this season, when all the stats add up, hopefully it won’t be a question.”

Hester’s playing for more than just his football legacy this year, however. He’s headed for free agency after this season and his next contract will come based solely on his work as a returner since the Bears will no longer be trying to turn Hester into a wide receiver. Hester said he’d like to retire as a Bear and “create enough esteem that there is no stress” about re-signing him at the end of the season.

There isn’t much history of kick returners remaining potent threats into their 30s, but, then, there haven’t been many kick returners like Hester. If Hester bucks that history, neither a new contract in Chicago nor putting a second foot in the Hall of Fame will be totally outlandish goals.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-hall-of-fame/

vCash
    I think Hester is one of, if not the best returner in NFL in history. But that's all he can do. He was terrible as a WR. I believe that one trick ponies do not deserve to be in the Hall, unless they changed how the game is played.

Now if Hester tears it up this season, my opinion could change.

vCash
    2 more return for TDs and I think he is

our future

vCash
    He's the greatest returner of all time and should go in based on that. Especially when you consider how he effected field position and how teams had to adjust to him by kicking out of bounds, which goes beyond the Tds.

A also like the pressure he's putting himself on right now and the focus on returns only this year. Could be a big year for him.

vCash
    I agree that Hester needs to do more. To make it as a returner only he needs to be the clear-cut best over a number of years.

vCash
    He needs one more great year, to set the records and then I say YES
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DESERTDWELLER View Post
    I think Hester is one of, if not the best returner in NFL in history. But that's all he can do. He was terrible as a WR. I believe that one trick ponies do not deserve to be in the Hall, unless they changed how the game is played.

I guess I don't quite understand what is meant when you say "one trick ponies." He's a one trick pony because he couldn't play 2 positions (Kick/punt returner AND WR)? So what about everyone else that goes into the HOF that ONLY played DB, or only played LB, or only played OL, etc. you get my point. I'm just curious about that statement and how you differentiate which football positions are one trick ponies and which are not.

And he did change how the game is played, imo. Teams stopped kicking to him altogether. They'd rather kick it out of bounds. He gave his team the best field position whether he returned a kick or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    He needs one more great year, to set the records and then I say YES
    This I agree with.

vCash
    What I meant as "one trick pony" was that he returns only. He's had something like 18 great plays in his career. A defensive or offensive players have more playing time, obiviously.

I did leave a back door for myself to change my opinion, so if he continues to be a "game changer" and adds more TDs to his resume, at his age, my opinion could/will change.

vCash
    I also thinks he needs more TDs. However, it could be 1 this year, 2 next year, and another one the year after. He needs more TDs to solidify his position. He should have a few more good years in him in the return game. He is the greatest at his position.

I personally would like him to be on top of the list in both categories of kick and punt returns. IIRC, he is the leader in punt returns right now, but not kick returns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RowBTrice View Post
    I guess I don't quite understand what is meant when you say "one trick ponies." He's a one trick pony because he couldn't play 2 positions (Kick/punt returner AND WR)? So what about everyone else that goes into the HOF that ONLY played DB, or only played LB, or only played OL, etc. you get my point. I'm just curious about that statement and how you differentiate which football positions are one trick ponies and which are not.

And he did change how the game is played, imo. Teams stopped kicking to him altogether. They'd rather kick it out of bounds. He gave his team the best field position whether he returned a kick or not.
    Yeah.. that confused me too.

What I meant as "one trick pony" was that he returns only. He's had something like 18 great plays in his career. A defensive or offensive players have more playing time, obiviously.

I did leave a back door for myself to change my opinion, so if he continues to be a "game changer" and adds more TDs to his resume, at his age, my opinion could/will change.
    I think this is why it is such a debate... Yeah, he only returns kicks, but he has done several things that no one in the entire history of the league has ever done... not only that, but he did change the way teams kicked to the Bears for a number of years.

As we are all well aware of the lack of WR coaching we had over the years, I wonder if he could have been more of a threat at WR if we had amazing positions coaches. But then he might not have been as valuable of a returner.

vCash
    Kick returns leaders for TDs:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co..._td_career.htm

Punt returns leaders for TDs:

If Hester was leading in BOTH catagories, I would say yes, he's a HOFer. Thanks to Lovie, he was pulled on kick returns during his prime. He may have been able to lead in both if he stayed at returning both.

I realize that a lot of you probably never saw or remember Eric Metcalf or Brian Mitchell returning punts, they were awesome too. Teams stopped kicking to them as well, so Hester didn't "change" a thing in that regard.

We're talking about "The Hall of Fame" and Special Teams. Ray Guy changed the game, yet he hasn't made it in.

If Hester goes on to return more this season, again, my opinion will change. But as it stands today, he isn't Canton material.

vCash
    ehh

vCash

He did change how the game was played, though.

If Ray Guy gets in this year, Devin IMO should make it at some point in the future.

vCash
    Kick returns leaders for TDs:

Punt returns leaders for TDs:

If Hester was leading in BOTH catagories, I would say yes, he's a HOFer. Thanks to Lovie, he was pulled on kick returns during his prime. He may have been able to lead in both if he stayed at returning both.

I realize that a lot of you probably never saw or remember Eric Metcalf or Brian Mitchell returning punts, they were awesome too. Teams stopped kicking to them as well, so Hester didn't "change" a thing in that regard.

We're talking about "The Hall of Fame" and Special Teams. Ray Guy changed the game, yet he hasn't made it in.

If Hester goes on to return more this season, again, my opinion will change. But as it stands today, he isn't Canton material.
    I get your points here. And yes I remember Metcalf and Mitchell returning punts, but neither (to me) "seemed" as dynamic as Devin Hester. And I know that "seemed" is hardly an easy value of measurement, so it's certainly up for debate. Hopefully he does return several more this year and the debate is made more clear. Would love for Hest to end up in the HOF, as I'm sure all Bears fans would as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast