Thread: Guy for HOF

vCash

Guy for HOF

From PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...of-candidates/

Guy, Humphrey are Seniors Committee HoF candidates

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 21, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT

rayguy
    One of the more controversial candidates for selection to the Pro Football Hall of Fame is getting another chance.

Via Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News, former Raiders punter Ray Guy and former Falcons defensive end Claude Humphrey have been named as the two Seniors Committee nominees.

Those two will be automatically included as finalists for the voting, which takes place the day before the Super Bowl. They’re considered separately from the 15 modern finalists, but each must receive at least 80 percent of the vote to be inducted into the Hall, meaning it’s far from a rubber-stamp process.

Guy has been a finalist seven times before (1992, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2008), and his exclusion to this point has been much-debated. He blames it on “stupid people,” effectively claiming discrimination against punters in general.

This time, however, he won’t have to worry about competing against other worthy candidates at other positions. That means he’ll either go into the Hall or not based on his own merits.
    A few minutes later, Lincoln Kennedy to Charles Woodson: “What are they reviewing? It was a fumble”.
    Greg Biekert to Kennedy and Woodson: “They’re going to overturn it because they’re taking too long and we’re the Raiders”.[
    SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    It will be a travesty if Ray Guy doesn't get into the Hall of Fame.

vCash
    I think it's time to induct the Guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenged24 View Post
    go raiders

vCash
    Coaches are in, so that is proof enough that you don't have to be a FOOTBALL player to get in. He changed the position and that says it all. If you are THAT guy at your position, you deserve it. But lets not get all crazy and say that kickers are football player. back in Guy's day, they creamed the kicker!! now you can't touch em', which is another reason i would select Guy. May as well get a pure kicker in before they take kicking away from football in the name of safety.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GREATNESS ONE:26927213
    I think it's time to induct the Guy.
    Way past due!

vCash

Guy for HOF

And take Cliff with you . And Ken also for that matter.

vCash
    Guy and Branch are the guys who have to go in. Ray Guy was ridiculous.

-Stork

vCash
    Drag Plunkett and Flores in too! Not a long enough body of work on top? Bull $*** they won 2 superbowls!

Guys like Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp get in before these guys? Ridiculous

vCash
    All of that "he ain't a player" stuff is a whole bunch of crap. The writers aren't players either though they sit in judgement.

This is one small thing to make right in our ****ed up world. Come on HOF selection committee, give us a hand for a good cause.....
    " I have only three rules, be on time, pay attention, and play like hell on Sunday"

-John Madden

vCash
    I thought Ray Guy was already in the HOF.........

vCash
    Ray Guy revolutionized the position. His one handed snag on the high snap in the Super Bowl saved the game.
    Cliff Branch's post season stats rival Jerry Rice.
    Ken Stabler employed the West Coast offense before anyone understood what the west coast offense was, including Bill Walsh. All should be she ins and all would be in if they had played for Miami or Pittsburgh.

vCash
    I've always felt the list of worthy Raiders begins with Branch. His production rivals nearly all contemporaries and he played, and provided impact, in 3 Super Bowls and countless playoff games. If Lynn Swann was worthy, Cliff Branch most definitely is. Unfortunately, I am too young to have witnessed or remember the true greatness of the Raiders, but Branch was there for nearly all of it.

I'm happy Ray Guy is that much closer and hope others like Flores are eventually awarded rightful acknowledgement.

vCash
    It saddens me to say it, but I think this is how all of the remaining Raider greats will get into the Hall: Senior Committee ballot. Branch, Guy, Coach Flores...all the way down the line to Timmy Brown. I just hope that they're still alive to appreciate the induction and I'm still alive to watch it.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    There's no doubt that he should be in. It all depends on who's on the ballot. Punters just don't get the respect that other players get. Thy should have a separate category to avoid that

vCash
    I agree that Ray Guy and Cliff Branch, along with the Snake need to go into Canton, but not Plunkett, Yes, he has two "Lombardi's", but he also has a losing record as a starter. Okay, he's 72-72 as a starter, with 164 TD's and 198 INT's, a 52.5% comp. rate, and 67.5 QB rating. Not exactly mind blowing stats deserving of the HoF, I'd say. I'm the biggest Raiders' homer going, but Jim's stats are NOT canton worthy, imo.
    Boy, this modern day 20th century technology is "golly-gee-willikers"!! Whaaa?

"Why didn't someone tell me this was the 21st century????"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast