Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cardinals Broadcaster Mike Shannon Recovering After Heart Surgery

ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOX) St. Louis Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon is recovering comfortably this week after undergoing a successful surgical procedure Monday to replace his aorta valve.

The surgery, which had been planned for some time, was a complete success. Shannon is expected to make a full recovery. Shannon said through his family that he is doing well and expects to return to the broadcast booth before the end of the regular season.

I would like to thank everyone for their prayers, heartfelt well-wishes and kind words. It means a lot to me, Mike Shannon said, Im looking forward to getting back in the booth and back to the game I love.

A rotation of Cardinals announcers will be sitting for Mike as he recovers. Al Hrabosky, Rick Horton and Mike Claiborne will be joining John Rooney in the radio booth through September 23rd when Mike plans to return to the booth.

Shannon has manned the Cardinals broadcast booth since 1972. Throughout his tenure as the Voice of the Cardinals, Shannon has also made appearances for the Cardinals television broadcasts, including as a pre-game analyst for Fox Sports Midwest.

A St. Louis native, Shannon played for the Cardinals from 1962 to 1970, a span that included two World Championships (64 and 67) and a National League pennant in 1968. In 1999, Shannon was inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in recognition of his on air career as well as his contributions on the field during his career as a player. In May 2013, Mike was named the Missouri Sports Hall of Fames 26th Missouri Sports Legend in Springfield, Missouri.
    http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/08/...heart-surgery/

I'm glad he's doing well.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Get well soon mike! It's definitely not the same listening to games when I do when he isn't doing them.

vCash
    Hopefully this is a long-term fix for Mr Mike Shannon
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    Get well soon... I grew up listening to jack buck and mike Shannon on the radio... Mike is a legend..
    #FREECROONER!!!

vCash
    when i think about my childhood, listening to shannon every night on the radio during the summer is one of my biggest memories..... hope he comes back soon!