Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Former Player Appearances

I am in need of help from the forum. I am planning a huge Wounded Warrior event in Spfld for next year and I am looking to have some former players in attendance to drive up the interest and raise more money for the charity. When looking around the internet I have seen booking agencies that claim to have players in their "stable". Many of these appear shady at best. Do any of you know if this is the way to go about booking players? Do any of you have player contacts that could help me out? Sadly, due to our central IL location we are looking for Cubs or Cardinals retired players. The only catch is that the event is during the season so they can't be coaching, broadcasting, etc. Thank you all for any info you can provide!

vCash
    Being from the Central Illinois area originally, I know the area is deep in former players that live or are still parts of the community. I wouldn't go the booking agency route because there are so many scams out there. Most of these former players might do a Wounded Warrior event just because of the impact. Locals that still have ties in the area are the Schofields (Ducky and Dick), Hulletts (Tim and Tug), Werths (Denny and Jayson), Kevin Seitzer, Mark Clark, Roger Erickson, Ryan O'Malley. Even the ones that are still in-the-game and couldn't show up could donate autographs etc. Hell Kevin Gamble is still in the area and Andre Iguadola still does his charity there as well. Best of luck and just work the phones yourself.

vCash
    Jim Thome is from Peoria and still has a lot of family in the area and I think he may even still live there part time. A friend of a friend knows some of his relatives but I doubt I could pull any strings. It wouldn't hurt to call or email around. He didn't play for the Cubs or Cardinals but he was a White Sox andI think he would be all about something like this and would be a huge get.

Gary Gaetti is from Centralia and played for both Cubs and Cardinals don't know what he's doing these days though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ReJo View Post
    Jim Thome is from Peoria and still has a lot of family in the area and I think he may even still live there part time. A friend of a friend knows some of his relatives but I doubt I could pull any strings. It wouldn't hurt to call or email around. He didn't play for the Cubs or Cardinals but he was a White Sox andI think he would be all about something like this and would be a huge get.

Gary Gaetti is from Centralia and played for both Cubs and Cardinals don't know what he's doing these days though.
    Jim is definitely still around the Ellisville area. I used to live in a small town near there and he would routinely come into the cafe there and eat. The cool thing was people in town (including myself) respected him so much that we never hounded him for autographs or interrupted him, we all would just say hey and let him be, and he really appreciated that.

Also, another cool story, Paul Reuschel used to substitute teach at my high school because his wife was the superintendent.

If you could somehow get in contact with Thome I'm sure he would do it, but I have no idea how to go about doing that...
    The Future...
    Is Bright!!

vCash
    Thanks guys. I know O'Malley and Werth and will be in touch with them for some auction items for sure. They are always willing to help out. Same with Jeff Fassero. I also need to contact Matt Hughes for some items. I have a connection to Thome that I will be using for sure. I was just hoping to get some guys that are not from the area to town. I spoke with Fergie Jenkins at spring training and his guy there gave me a contact number that I unfortunately lost.