Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Cubs fans give david dejesus a standing ovation after being traded

http://www.google.com/search?q=david...anding+ovation

here are his stats. played one and a half seasons with the cubs

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ejesda01.shtml

Really? I mean really? David dejesus gets a standing ovation? How does a player that did that little in two worthless years receive a standing ovations? I don't understand this. Standing o's should be saved for players who actually did something during their tenure, not to a player who did nothing in a year and a half with a rebuilding club.
    Last edited by el hidalgo; 08-20-2013 at 07:53 PM.

vCash

Cubs fans give david dejesus a standing ovation after being traded

He was a great club house guy and a class act...not everyone hits 500 homeruns for a team. The fans appreciate him coming out and playing hard everyday. He was a pretty good leading hitter. You don't need to attack the fan base for them appreciating a hard working player. He did a lot for Chicago. Have a lot to charity and his wife had a charitable foundation... Maybe THAT'S why

vCash
    Well duh, have you seen his wife?

vCash
    I don't really expect a sox fan to understand what DD did for this team especially from a leadership standpoint . Go back to your forum where I can still here the crickets chirp
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 08-20-2013 at 08:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbiefan_est88 View Post
    He was a great club house guy and a class act...not everyone hits 500 homeruns for a team. The fans appreciate him coming out and playing hard everyday. He was a pretty good leading hitter. You don't need to attack the fan base for them appreciating a hard working player. He did a lot for Chicago. Have a lot to charity and his wife had a charitable foundation... Maybe THAT'S why
    Pretty much all that can apply to soriano, too. Why does soriano get hated on, but not this guy? Soriano loved this city and didn't want to leave. He also actually produced, and was responsible for helping the cubs make the playoffs... I don't understand how some replacement player like dejesus gets a standing ovation, but soriano gets blasted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by el hidalgo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbiefan_est88 View Post
    Pretty much all that can apply to soriano, too. Why does soriano get hated on, but not this guy? Soriano loved this city and didn't want to leave. He also actually produced, and was responsible for helping the cubs make the playoffs... I don't understand how some replacement player like dejesus gets a standing ovation, but soriano gets blasted.

Soriano had a no trade clause...he didn't have to go anywhere. And real cub fans did appreciate him. When he left he wasn't booed and if he ever plays in wrigley again he will get a standing ovation. But like was said up above go back to the sox forum this seems like a bait thread. There is more to baseball than numbers. Both did a lot for the city and the team.

vCash
    Pretty much all that can apply to soriano, too. Why does soriano get hated on, but not this guy?
    $

And Cubs fans that actually know and follow the game won't hate on Soriano. He was a class act here and most of the fans I know are sad to see him go and wish him nothing but the best.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    http://www.google.com/search?q=david...anding+ovation

here are his stats. played one and a half seasons with the cubs

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ejesda01.shtml

Really? I mean really? David dejesus gets a standing ovation? How does a player that did that little in two worthless years receive a standing ovations? I don't understand this. Standing o's should be saved for players who actually did something during their tenure, not to a player who did nothing in a year and a half with a rebuilding club.
    Hey there Monsieur Grumpypants. It's the cubs a group of fans once revered for being civil, once Eric Kari's took out a full page tribune ad to thank the fans after one season, where positivity once reigned supreme (from about 84-05). A guy who plays hard, and works hard every day for a team going nowhere deserves a standing O more so than an overpaid superstar playing half assed on a tea, going to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Hey there Monsieur Grumpypants. It's the cubs a group of fans once revered for being civil, once Eric Kari's took out a full page tribune ad to thank the fans after one season, where positivity once reigned supreme (from about 84-05). A guy who plays hard, and works hard every day for a team going nowhere deserves a standing O more so than an overpaid superstar playing half assed on a tea, going to the playoffs.
    half assed? what are you talking about. by all accounts, soriano was a great teammate and a hard worker. he loved chicago and didn't want to go. how can you say he played half assed? sure, he had mental mistakes in the outfield. some players are just bound to have these mistakes, he worked hard on his fielding and turned into an above average outfielder. to say dejesus deserves a standing O more than soriano is ridiculous. might as well give every scrappy player who played on the cubs for a year a standing ovation.

vCash
    I was at the game. I didn't stand.

vCash
    half assed? what are you talking about. by all accounts, soriano was a great teammate and a hard worker. he loved chicago and didn't want to go. how can you say he played half assed? sure, he had mental mistakes in the outfield. some players are just bound to have these mistakes, he worked hard on his fielding and turned into an above average outfielder. to say dejesus deserves a standing O more than soriano is ridiculous. might as well give every scrappy player who played on the cubs for a year a standing ovation.
    First of all, you act as if Soriano has returned to Wrigley and gotten booed or something. He hasn't played here since the trade, but if he does, I would expect a lot of applause and a very warm reception from the Cubs faithful. Public opinion has really improved on Soriano over the last two years. It's just a lot harder for fans to relate to a guy getting paid $130mil than a scrappy player who is much more relatable.

That being said, I would agree with you that Soriano had a better Cubs career than DeJesus. Statistically, this is obvious. But in the past two years, DeJesus has been one of the very few consistently solid players on the Cubs, and he is truly emblematic of the kind of person that Theo and Jed want in the organization. Why would you not show your appreciation for him?

vCash
    I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that Dejesus gets a standing ovation and when aramis came back he got the charlie Haas pop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
    First of all, you act as if Soriano has returned to Wrigley and gotten booed or something. He hasn't played here since the trade, but if he does, I would expect a lot of applause and a very warm reception from the Cubs faithful. Public opinion has really improved on Soriano over the last two years. It's just a lot harder for fans to relate to a guy getting paid $130mil than a scrappy player who is much more relatable.

That being said, I would agree with you that Soriano had a better Cubs career than DeJesus. Statistically, this is obvious. But in the past two years, DeJesus has been one of the very few consistently solid players on the Cubs, and he is truly emblematic of the kind of person that Theo and Jed want in the organization. Why would you not show your appreciation for him?
    I feel standing ovations should be saved players who did great things in a uniform. As a poster said above me, it is a disgrace that aramis got booed, yet david dejesus gets a standing o. nobody will remember david dejesus in a few years, but aramis was a very good 3rd baseman who helped the cubs reach the playoffs.

vCash
    I feel standing ovations should be saved players who did great things in a uniform. As a poster said above me, it is a disgrace that aramis got booed, yet david dejesus gets a standing o. nobody will remember david dejesus in a few years, but aramis was a very good 3rd baseman who helped the cubs reach the playoffs.
    I agree that Cubs fans didn't show Aramis as much appreciation as I would have liked, but still. A standing ovation is a bit of a spontaneous gesture. It's not as though all the fans have a huge deliberation pregame on whether or not they will be cheering or booing for each player. DeJesus was on the club literally two days ago, so this is the ideal time for fans to thank him. Cub fans had a whole offseason to prepare for not having Aramis out there. But I will concede that we should have thanked him better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
    I agree that Cubs fans didn't show Aramis as much appreciation as I would have liked, but still. A standing ovation is a bit of a spontaneous gesture. It's not as though all the fans have a huge deliberation pregame on whether or not they will be cheering or booing for each player. DeJesus was on the club literally two days ago, so this is the ideal time for fans to thank him. Cub fans had a whole offseason to prepare for not having Aramis out there. But I will concede that we should have thanked him better.
    I completely agree with your sentiments. Let's not forget, DD got traded and Aramis chose to sign with a division rival--that's a pretty big difference. That said, I will always appreciate A-Rams time here and all the clutch hits he had. I with we still had a guy like that. Hopefully Starlin and Rizz can come back next year and play up to their potential.

As for Soriano, honestly, I think he dogged it too much his first year or two here, but after that he really picked it up. He learned to hustle down the line and really work on his outfielding to where he was average, which was a huge step up for him. As much as I hated the signing and his initial demeanor, I also appreciate his time here. Still sad though, because I think he could be a first ballot HOF if he used a slightly lighter bat and didn't lose his speed.
    Last edited by Aapox; 08-20-2013 at 11:09 PM.

16. 08-21-2013, 12:18 AM
    Reason
    Insults - SFrush90

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast