Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Santonio: "I Can Play"

The Jets still don’t have a timetable for the return of receiver Santonio Holmes. If Holmes had his way, the would be right now.

“He definitely wants to get back as soon as possible,” receiver Stephen Hill said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “If he could have played on Saturday, he would have played. He kept saying, ‘I can play. I can play.’ But we’re just like, ‘Look, Tone….’”

Holmes ran routes during pregame warmups prior to the preseason contest against the Jaguars, with Geno Smith throwing the passes.

“He looked pretty good,” Smith said of Holmes. “He was running pretty fast. He’s always had good hands, but he doesn’t look to be slowed down at all.”

The development comes in the wake of speculation that Holmes is milking a foot injury that was suffered in September 2012. The Jets privately have denied any suggestion that Holmes is taking advantage of the situation.

Really, he has no reason to lollygag. Though his $7.5 million salary for 2013 is fully guaranteed, neither the Jets will pay the $9.5 million he’s due to earn in 2014 unless he has a huge season. And he can’t have a huge season if he isn’t playing.

I was expecting him to milk this injury for at least the first 6-8 weeks of the season. Maybe he is not as bad as we all have been saying. But, we all know he is just trying to do this for a payday next season.

FROM COUNTRY ROADS TO THE BIG APPLE .. FLIGHT GENO , READY FOR DEPARTURE

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYozzy View Post
    The Jets still don’t have a timetable for the return of receiver Santonio Holmes. If Holmes had his way, the would be right now.

“He definitely wants to get back as soon as possible,” receiver Stephen Hill said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “If he could have played on Saturday, he would have played. He kept saying, ‘I can play. I can play.’ But we’re just like, ‘Look, Tone….’”

Holmes ran routes during pregame warmups prior to the preseason contest against the Jaguars, with Geno Smith throwing the passes.

“He looked pretty good,” Smith said of Holmes. “He was running pretty fast. He’s always had good hands, but he doesn’t look to be slowed down at all.”

The development comes in the wake of speculation that Holmes is milking a foot injury that was suffered in September 2012. The Jets privately have denied any suggestion that Holmes is taking advantage of the situation.

Really, he has no reason to lollygag. Though his $7.5 million salary for 2013 is fully guaranteed, neither the Jets will pay the $9.5 million he’s due to earn in 2014 unless he has a huge season. And he can’t have a huge season if he isn’t playing.

I was expecting him to milk this injury for at least the first 6-8 weeks of the season. Maybe he is not as bad as we all have been saying. But, we all know he is just trying to do this for a payday next season.
    I agree with the underlined and I respect your hopes that he's not as bad as people think but I can't agree with that.
    I think his return will be contingent of the teams play. If we look good and he can make an impact and help us to the playoffs, he will be back quickly, thus increasing his value. If we are not very good, I think 8-10 weeks.

I think he is as bad as we've been saying. I can't wait till he's gone.
    I will root like hell for him to catch passes as long as he plays for the Jets but it will hurt a bit. lol

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

vCash
    With the way our WR's are playing (Gates, Kerley, Hill, Spadola, etc), I don't miss Holmes as much as I would if this was last year. I feel like even without him, you easily could have 6 WR's right now that can make the team!
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    The Jets do need him, so I wonder if the precaution is just until the start of the season. He does make the Jets better on the field.

vCash
    not concerned about Santonio's ability to step in and play

definitely concerned about his ability to step in and not tweak a hamstring or calf
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    You know, everyone and their mother claim he will most defintely, certainly, carved in stone, take it to the bank, pick your cliche: that Holmes will be cut at the end of the season. I have yet to see one media member or poster entertain the remote yet quite possible event that he has a solid contributing season in this scheme. There's no doubt he has good chemistry with Sanchez. And as an intermediate route runner who gets separation, Marty's throw-first offense could certainly utilize his talents.
    I'll be the lone contrarian and for fun suggest what our media should at least entertain that if Holmes does go on to have a great year, why wouldn't the Jets consider renegotiate his 2014 salary and bring his number down while extending his contract? Why isn't this possible? He's not over the hill. No one seems to have any vision. Every single person believes that he is already gone. Really? Don't we have a new GM who has yet to evaluate him? And by all accounts, he's been acting as a coach and mentoring the other receivers staying quite involved in this new offense.
    And if anyone took a look at potential FA's, they'd know that Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt and Mario Manningham top the list. Yawn. And I haven't seen any sure-thing studs in the draft yet so maybe, just maybe he's our best option going into 2014.
    Just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 08-20-2013 at 09:41 PM.

vCash
    Holmes and Braylon lets get it back one more shot for Sanchize.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    Holmes and Braylon lets get it back one more shot for Sanchize.
    Agreed, Beltran.

Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes combined numbers in 2010 -

1,650 yards and 13 touchdowns. Not exactly great, but we have seen plays were Mark really connected with these guys.

If anyone can help Mark should he claim the starting spot it will be those guys with the help from Cumberland (very impressed with the strides he has made coming off of the Achilles tendon tear a few years ago) and Kellen Winslow Jr.

This offense is not given a lot of credit - we have the play makers and they can only make Mark better if he is given the job. I back whoever is starting our team because I want Mark to succeed and I want Holmes to succeed (even though I cannot stand the both of them.)

It's a team game and the running game looks solid with Ivory and Powell and if we can get Holmes on the field it will only make it better.

vCash
    Its funny, because if we are going to cut him before next season, then the smartest thing for Homes to do is get back on the field ASAP, and show he's still got it. He and Sanchez showed some real chemistry before he went down last year, and he was on pace for a statistically great season.

If he wants to cash in down the road, his best course of action is to play his balls off this year, which is good for us. Similar situation to the first year we brought him in here.

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    But then you see this come out...

A source tells the New York Post that Santonio Holmes (foot) has received medical clearance to begin football activities, but Holmes is resisting.

Officially, the Jets have said that Holmes doesn't have clearance. But the Post hears that "many people around the team believe the mercurial wide receiver is just trying to avoid training camp and he is healthier than he is letting on." It's yet another bad look for Holmes, whose effort has been questioned ever since he landed a $45 million contract in 2011. He says his foot is in too much pain daily and "won't go away."

vCash
    I have gotten to the stage where I rally don't care about Holmes. With Kerley, Hill, Edwards, Spadola, Obomanu, Rogers, etc, I like our WR's and I want guys who are willing to play. Holmes just wants to collect his 7.5 million check.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I have gotten to the stage where I rally don't care about Holmes. With Kerley, Hill, Edwards, Spadola, Obomanu, Rogers, etc, I like our WR's and I want guys who are willing to play. Holmes just wants to collect his 7.5 million check.
    After the season where he *****ed and moaned and stormed off the field during a game is when I was done with him. We kept the wrong player and I can clearly see why we got him for such a steal (5th round pick). I'm not questioning the talent he obviously has but it doesn't outweigh the cancerous attitude and behavior he displays.

We're trying to bring in younger guys and to have someone like him on the roster influencing these kids is just bad news. If he plays, he better ****ing contribute. If not, there is no reason that he should continue playing for this team at the end of the season.

vCash
    Santonio is a d-bag plain and simple. He makes it very hard to root for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalPanda View Post
    Its funny, because if we are going to cut him before next season, then the smartest thing for Homes to do is get back on the field ASAP, and show he's still got it. He and Sanchez showed some real chemistry before he went down last year, and he was on pace for a statistically great season.

If he wants to cash in down the road, his best course of action is to play his balls off this year, which is good for us. Similar situation to the first year we brought him in here.
    That's not a fact.
    And furthermore, why would he rush himself and risk further injury or re-injure himself in a contract year. That makes zero sense for anyone involved. It doesn't help the Jets either as they want someone healthy to contribute this year.