Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,379
    vCash
    1500

    Question about our kings possible contract

    I was browsing on blue shirt banter today. I came across a article stating that our king could be asking for around 9.5 million a year. Even with the cap going up next summer and how good he is I dont believe he is worth that kind of money. Dont get me wrong I love him between the pipes and he does make us a contender every year. But that much money could really damper our team in the long run for a long time coming.

    The past cup winners havent had the greatest goalie in the world playing for them, even though quick is up there but if you look at the blackhawks, redwings, ext... there goalie wasnt making nearly as much. They all had really good talent on all 4 lines with no bargain players. Everyone on there teams had a role and that kind of money tied up with nash making almost 8 could hurt us long term.

    What do you guys think.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,037
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rocowear21 View Post
    I was browsing on blue shirt banter today. I came across a article stating that our king could be asking for around 9.5 million a year. Even with the cap going up next summer and how good he is I dont believe he is worth that kind of money. Dont get me wrong I love him between the pipes and he does make us a contender every year. But that much money could really damper our team in the long run for a long time coming.

    The past cup winners havent had the greatest goalie in the world playing for them, even though quick is up there but if you look at the blackhawks, redwings, ext... there goalie wasnt making nearly as much. They all had really good talent on all 4 lines with no bargain players. Everyone on there teams had a role and that kind of money tied up with nash making almost 8 could hurt us long term.

    What do you guys think.
    First the validity of it needs to come into question but lets say its true for the sake of discussion.

    First, Hank can ask for anything he wants, doesnt mean he's getting it and second, it's most certainly is a negotiating tactic which is great cuz I would have hated to see him ask for 10+ to begin with...

    Personally, I would be surprised with all we know about him and his desire to win that he would hamper the teams chances by taking a huge chunk of the cap, doesnt seem like his M.O. Getting properly compensated for being the best netminder in the league is one thing, but winning a cup (or two )is something else.
    Last edited by NYY09; 08-20-2013 at 07:18 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,660
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rocowear21 View Post
    I was browsing on blue shirt banter today. I came across a article stating that our king could be asking for around 9.5 million a year. Even with the cap going up next summer and how good he is I dont believe he is worth that kind of money. Dont get me wrong I love him between the pipes and he does make us a contender every year. But that much money could really damper our team in the long run for a long time coming.

    The past cup winners havent had the greatest goalie in the world playing for them, even though quick is up there but if you look at the blackhawks, redwings, ext... there goalie wasnt making nearly as much. They all had really good talent on all 4 lines with no bargain players. Everyone on there teams had a role and that kind of money tied up with nash making almost 8 could hurt us long term.

    What do you guys think.
    I have seen this article in a few places so i dont doubt the validity of it. But for 9.5 he can walk IMO. Like you said if they give him that it will cost us later on with other players we need to keep or sign. But odds are it will be close to Rask $$ even that scared me as hank is way older then him

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,889
    vCash
    1500
    I just hope Sather is getting a good read on where this is going. I love Hendrik but if he wants anything close to 9 mill I think a trade might be an option before the year is over. To where you say? Possibly to Edmonton for Dubnyuk and maybe Yakupov maybe...just a thought. I love the king...hes the best in the league but if he wants to win a cup he has to be willing to take a discount contract, he cant cripple the team with a contract that will make the team less competetive.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,795
    vCash
    1500
    I'm hoping he will take less but we should have a lot of cap room with Richards deal coming off so the salary does not worry me as much as the number of years and his age.

    I found a guy that can replace him in goal if he demands too much.

    LINK TO NEW GOALIE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,660
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I'm hoping he will take less but we should have a lot of cap room with Richards deal coming off so the salary does not worry me as much as the number of years and his age.

    I found a guy that can replace him in goal if he demands too much.

    LINK TO NEW GOALIE
    He looks like Ryan Miller

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,400
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I'm hoping he will take less but we should have a lot of cap room with Richards deal coming off so the salary does not worry me as much as the number of years and his age.

    I found a guy that can replace him in goal if he demands too much.

    LINK TO NEW GOALIE
    But Richards isn't gone, he's here. Respectfuly and IMO, the Rangers could have changed their own financial landscape by parting ways with Richards while resigning Hagelin, Zuks, etc to affordable/responsible contracts. To be fair, how can Stephan and Lundy not recognize their value to the Rangers while Richards is being paid a fortune? (Meanwhile, slats is likely on the golf course with his cigar).
    Done - thank goodness

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,889
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS:26920496
    I'm hoping he will take less but we should have a lot of cap room with Richards deal coming off so the salary does not worry me as much as the number of years and his age.

    I found a guy that can replace him in goal if he demands too much.

    LINK TO NEW GOALIE
    I agree Richards looks like he could be bought out but I wouldn't bank on it. I personally think Hank and Richie are linked together and that he mighy be one of the things they have to talk about before he re ups. Its just my opinion but I really think they kept Richie and dumped Torts to appease Hank. Its based on nothing more than timing, the risk in keeping Richards for a year, and a hunch but thats how I feel.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    16,839
    vCash
    5000
    Quote Originally Posted by rocowear21 View Post
    I was browsing on blue shirt banter today. I came across a article stating that our king could be asking for around 9.5 million a year. Even with the cap going up next summer and how good he is I dont believe he is worth that kind of money. Dont get me wrong I love him between the pipes and he does make us a contender every year. But that much money could really damper our team in the long run for a long time coming.

    The past cup winners havent had the greatest goalie in the world playing for them, even though quick is up there but if you look at the blackhawks, redwings, ext... there goalie wasnt making nearly as much. They all had really good talent on all 4 lines with no bargain players. Everyone on there teams had a role and that kind of money tied up with nash making almost 8 could hurt us long term.

    What do you guys think.
    Keep in mind just because we let Lundqvist walk, it doesn't mean that we will automatically find forwards to spend the money on instead. In a perfect world maybe you don't need to pay a goalie that much and it would be better to build around skaters, but there is no guarantee that we find that talent. You're not choosing between Lundqvist & Patrick Kane, you're choosing between Lundqvist and the field.

    We have a special goalie & I have a hard time saying that the money will keep us from acquiring another special player. Stop wasting money on stupid acquisitions & spend it on the guy you know deserves it.
    Last edited by Sandman; 08-20-2013 at 04:50 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,795
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr2002nyr View Post
    He looks like Ryan Miller
    You know who it is right? I like that he and other Rangers players joke on twitter.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    But Richards isn't gone, he's here. Respectfuly and IMO, the Rangers could have changed their own financial landscape by parting ways with Richards while resigning Hagelin, Zuks, etc to affordable/responsible contracts. To be fair, how can Stephan and Lundy not recognize their value to the Rangers while Richards is being paid a fortune? (Meanwhile, slats is likely on the golf course with his cigar).
    I like Brad. I like the way he looks to pass. With that said while Brad is here this year he is gone next season. Not a doubt in my mind. Lundy is under contract this season so Brad being with us this season will not effect Lundys future contract. With Step you have more of a case because Brads contract this season could be effecting Step now as a current RFA.

    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I agree Richards looks like he could be bought out but I wouldn't bank on it. I personally think Hank and Richie are linked together and that he mighy be one of the things they have to talk about before he re ups. Its just my opinion but I really think they kept Richie and dumped Torts to appease Hank. Its based on nothing more than timing, the risk in keeping Richards for a year, and a hunch but thats how I feel.
    I like Brad but Brad will not be a NYR player next season unless he has a 100 goal 200 point season in 2013-2014. He will be traded or let go. Its just a sad financial reality based on his salary, age, declining production and the new CBA. Next summer is the last chance to get rid of his contract under this new CBA. Brad will still be a NHL player. He just will not be a NYR player.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,795
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Keep in mind just because we let Lundqvist walk, it doesn't mean that we will automatically find forwards to spend the money on instead. In a perfect world maybe you don't need to pay a goalie that much and it would be better to build around skaters, but there is no guarantee that we find that talent. You're not choosing between Lundqvist & Patrick Kane, you're choosing between Lundqvist and the field.

    We have a special goalie & I have a hard time saying that the money will keep us from acquiring another special player. Stop wasting money on stupid acquisitions & spend it on the guy you know deserves it.
    I agree with you. Having cap room is useless if we can not replace the player in question (Lundy).

    We should not throw good money after bad. We should give Lundy what he deserves. No more no less. Just what is fair. Hopefully he will take a fair deal and not look to take the very max offer on the market.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,889
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I agree with you. Having cap room is useless if we can not replace the player in question (Lundy).

    We should not throw good money after bad. We should give Lundy what he deserves. No more no less. Just what is fair. Hopefully he will take a fair deal and not look to take the very max offer on the market.
    You are also assuming that Stepan has another good year. Stepan came out of the gate flying the first half of our last full season and pretty much stopped half way through. This year really didn't help in proving he's going to be a guy you can rely on for 82 games plus playoffs. The other questions are if Brassard or Miller are ready to be a #2 here. A lot of things can happen in a year, if Richards has a good year and Stepan or Brassard falter and the Rangers come close to a cup I would bet a lot of money that Richards would be back. Those are a lot of ifs but I'm just saying I don't think Dolan has the check made out just yet. Also, maybe Dolan is done fixing Sather's mistakes, maybe this is one he's gonna have to live with one way or the other. I would say there's about a 80% chance he's gone but there's still that 20% that makes me think he could be back after that, for better or worse.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,795
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    You are also assuming that Stepan has another good year. Stepan came out of the gate flying the first half of our last full season and pretty much stopped half way through. This year really didn't help in proving he's going to be a guy you can rely on for 82 games plus playoffs. The other questions are if Brassard or Miller are ready to be a #2 here. A lot of things can happen in a year, if Richards has a good year and Stepan or Brassard falter and the Rangers come close to a cup I would bet a lot of money that Richards would be back. Those are a lot of ifs but I'm just saying I don't think Dolan has the check made out just yet. Also, maybe Dolan is done fixing Sather's mistakes, maybe this is one he's gonna have to live with one way or the other. I would say there's about a 80% chance he's gone but there's still that 20% that makes me think he could be back after that, for better or worse.
    My opinion really does not have anything to do with Step or Brass. They could both have 40 point seasons while Richards has a 70 point season (unlikely) and I still think the Rangers would trade/release Brad by July 2014. I'm not anti Brad in any way. I just know the Rangers are not going to pass up a get out of contract cap hit free card in favor of keeping Brad until 2020-2021 with his near 7 mill cap number until 2020. This will be their only chance to get rid of that cap hit until 2020.

    They are going to need to use that cap room for Lundy, Staal, and better younger players that become often available. Also it has almost nothing to do with Dolan writing a check because the contract was very heavily front loaded. The last 3 years of the deal Brad only gets 3 mill total salary but he is around 20 mill in cap hit over those 3 years.

    This is not about if Brad is a good guy or even a good player. Its just a CBA reality.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,889
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    My opinion really does not have anything to do with Step or Brass. They could both have 40 point seasons while Richards has a 70 point season (unlikely) and I still think the Rangers would trade/release Brad by July 2014. I'm not anti Brad in any way. I just know the Rangers are not going to pass up a get out of contract cap hit free card in favor of keeping Brad until 2020-2021 with his near 7 mill cap number until 2020.

    They are going to need to use that cap room for Lundy, Staal, and better younger players that become often available. Also it has almost nothing to do with Dolan writing a check because the contract was very heavily front loaded. The last 3 years of the deal Brad only gets 3 mill total salary but he is around 20 mill in cap hit over those 3 years.

    This is not about if Brad is a good guy or even a good player. Its just a CBA reality.
    I totally understand what you are saying and it makes total sense for sure but I wouldn't bet the farm on it just yet. If the Rangers somehow make it to the finals or something with the team we have and Brad has a big part in that, I have a hard time believing they'd let him walk. I don't see that scenario happening but I think everyone knows how much pride Richards takes in hockey and I believe he'll have his best year since he left Dallas this year. I'm ok with either scenario and as you say it's better for the long term to be rid of him but I wouldn't start making contracts out to other players based on the thought that he's already gone. There's a lot of scenarios that could happen between now and then.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    32,795
    vCash
    1500
    I understand your point of view. Hockey is a great game but it can be a tough business. I just can not imagine anyway even after a cup that Rangers keep his cap hit till 2020 knowing that July 14 will be their very last chance to get out of it. He will be 34 at that time. It is not saying he can not be a good player next year or the year after. Keeping him is saying he will be worth the 6.7 mill cap hit until 2020. I'd be absolutely shocked if that happens. It is not that I want Brad gone in any way shape or form. Its just the CBA setup. If the Rangers had a choice of putting off the decision till July 2015 they might but that is not an option. Cap wise it is either all in on Brad till 2020 or all out on Brad by July 2014.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •