Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Blue Jays need an Ace if they want to contend in 2014

It seems like the Blue jays need an ace if they want to contend in 2014. They need a frontline pitcher who can eat up at least 7-9 innings per game. Starting pitching and defense is the main key for success if the Blue Jays want to be a contender. So far Mark Buehrle and R.A. Dickey are pretty much locked for 2014 (unless either one gets traded) and the remaining 3 slots are up in the air. Who do you think the Blue Jays should go after in the off season?

2014 Starting Rotation (no order)
    R.A. Dickey
    Mark Buehrle
    ?
    ?
    ?

Candidates
    Brandon Morrow
    Marcus Stroman
    Sean Nolin
    Kyle Drabek
    Drew Hutchison
    J.A. Happ
    Rickey Romero?

Off Season Targets

Free Agents after This Season
    Ervin Santana
    Matt Garza

Free Agents after Next Season (or trade)
    Jeff Samarjzia
    Yovani Gallardo
    Johnny Cueto
    Justin Masterson
    Homer Bailey

Any Suggestions?
    Last edited by rockbottom2010; 08-19-2013 at 12:38 PM.

vCash
    Garza has shown to pitch well in the AL east. However he's not an 'ace'. If we can pry lee from the Phil's and get Garza we would be set. Mind you that's close to a $50 mill jump in payroll.

Lee
    Dickey
    Garza
    Buerhle
    Morrow

At 35 you have to consider Lee's decline as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    Garza has shown to pitch well in the AL east. However he's not an 'ace'. If we can pry lee from the Phil's and get Garza we would be set. Mind you that's close to a $50 mill jump in payroll.

Lee
    Dickey
    Garza
    Buerhle
    Morrow

At 35 you have to consider Lee's decline as well
    Amaro Jr. is gonna end up asking for Aaron Sanchez....definitely not happenining

vCash
    We have Last year's NL Cy Young. We don't need any Ace We already have 2

vCash
    To be honest the Jays could have gotten Lee for d'Arnaud last year as Amaro was rumored to want him. So the Jays had their chance, I'm not wanting the Jays to part with more prospects for something they could have had in the first place in the off season...

vCash
    I want the Jays to contend but then the more I think about it, the more I realize the Jays are in a deep hole with pitching and its going to take either a) a miracle for the Jays to have them all improve next season or b) depart with more prized assets to get pitching.

jays could go after ervin santana but he's going to have an over inflated price tag. So will Garza. And I'm not really a fan of any of the pitchers coming to the free agency market in 2014 either.

It's just an utter mess to be honest...

vCash
    There is enough talent in Dickey and Morrow that both due to injury and underperformance could realistically both put up at the very least average seasons next year. You also have a slew of young depth in Nolin, Hutchison, Stroman and Drabek plus Happ to fill out the bottom 2 slots of your rotation.

I would love to add more pitching and I think you have to but people around here are very much jumping the gun here about the future, more specifically the next years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    I want the Jays to contend but then the more I think about it, the more I realize the Jays are in a deep hole with pitching and its going to take either a) a miracle for the Jays to have them all improve next season or b) depart with more prized assets to get pitching.

jays could go after ervin santana but he's going to have an over inflated price tag. So will Garza. And I'm not really a fan of any of the pitchers coming to the free agency market in 2014 either.

It's just an utter mess to be honest...
    this is why i feel that they need to go after an ace esp. in the AL. The AL East is the toughest division in all of baseball.

vCash
    No, they don't need an ace. Who was the O's ace last year? Who is the Red Sox' ace this year? The Jays need a lot of guys to be better and they could certainly use another dependable arm, but they don't need any one thing besides getting better production at a lot of spots on the diamond.

vCash
    I think it would be easier to improve some of the holes in our lineup offensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    No, they don't need an ace. Who was the O's ace last year? Who is the Red Sox' ace this year? The Jays need a lot of guys to be better and they could certainly use another dependable arm, but they don't need any one thing besides getting better production at a lot of spots on the diamond.
    well...they have Lester, Peavy, Lackey.....Buccholz is their ace however hes on the DL. Actually, have u noticed that the Red Sox are struggling at the moment. They need Clay Buccholz so badly. As for the Orioles, there's a reason why they ended up getting Scott Feldman and Bud Norris. Tillman is having an All-Star year for the Orioles.
    Last edited by rockbottom2010; 08-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    well...they have Lester, Peavy, Lackey.....Buccholz is their ace however hes on the DL. Actually, have u noticed that the Red Sox are struggling at the moment. They need Clay Buccholz so badly. As for the Orioles, there's a reason why they ended up getting Scott Feldman and Bud Norris. Tillman is having an All-Star year for the Orioles.
    HA!

Lester and his 4.31 ERA?

Peavy had a good year last year but this year has been no where near ace for the past 3 years

And really you are counting on Lackey who had been atrocious the past 2 years?

None of these guys are aces but have pitched better this year and had the blue jays had their guys not completely wet the bed at the same time year, they (blue jays) would be right there with boston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmagnet View Post
    I think it would be easier to improve some of the holes in our lineup offensively.
    And defensively.

vCash
    I'm confused... Are Bud Norris and Scott feldman aces?

vCash
    Not a single one of the guys you mentioned is an ace.

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast