Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,097
    vCash
    1500

    The Blue Jays need an Ace if they want to contend in 2014

    It seems like the Blue jays need an ace if they want to contend in 2014. They need a frontline pitcher who can eat up at least 7-9 innings per game. Starting pitching and defense is the main key for success if the Blue Jays want to be a contender. So far Mark Buehrle and R.A. Dickey are pretty much locked for 2014 (unless either one gets traded) and the remaining 3 slots are up in the air. Who do you think the Blue Jays should go after in the off season?


    2014 Starting Rotation (no order)
    R.A. Dickey
    Mark Buehrle
    ?
    ?
    ?


    Candidates
    Brandon Morrow
    Marcus Stroman
    Sean Nolin
    Kyle Drabek
    Drew Hutchison
    J.A. Happ
    Rickey Romero?

    Off Season Targets

    Free Agents after This Season
    Ervin Santana
    Matt Garza

    Free Agents after Next Season (or trade)
    Jeff Samarjzia
    Yovani Gallardo
    Johnny Cueto
    Justin Masterson
    Homer Bailey




    Any Suggestions?
    Last edited by rockbottom2010; 08-19-2013 at 12:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TO
    Posts
    9,485
    vCash
    1500
    Garza has shown to pitch well in the AL east. However he's not an 'ace'. If we can pry lee from the Phil's and get Garza we would be set. Mind you that's close to a $50 mill jump in payroll.

    Lee
    Dickey
    Garza
    Buerhle
    Morrow

    At 35 you have to consider Lee's decline as well

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    Garza has shown to pitch well in the AL east. However he's not an 'ace'. If we can pry lee from the Phil's and get Garza we would be set. Mind you that's close to a $50 mill jump in payroll.

    Lee
    Dickey
    Garza
    Buerhle
    Morrow

    At 35 you have to consider Lee's decline as well
    Amaro Jr. is gonna end up asking for Aaron Sanchez....definitely not happenining

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    68
    vCash
    1500
    We have Last year's NL Cy Young. We don't need any Ace We already have 2

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10,821
    vCash
    1500
    To be honest the Jays could have gotten Lee for d'Arnaud last year as Amaro was rumored to want him. So the Jays had their chance, I'm not wanting the Jays to part with more prospects for something they could have had in the first place in the off season...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10,821
    vCash
    1500
    I want the Jays to contend but then the more I think about it, the more I realize the Jays are in a deep hole with pitching and its going to take either a) a miracle for the Jays to have them all improve next season or b) depart with more prized assets to get pitching.

    jays could go after ervin santana but he's going to have an over inflated price tag. So will Garza. And I'm not really a fan of any of the pitchers coming to the free agency market in 2014 either.

    It's just an utter mess to be honest...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    T-dot
    Posts
    10,729
    vCash
    1500
    There is enough talent in Dickey and Morrow that both due to injury and underperformance could realistically both put up at the very least average seasons next year. You also have a slew of young depth in Nolin, Hutchison, Stroman and Drabek plus Happ to fill out the bottom 2 slots of your rotation.

    I would love to add more pitching and I think you have to but people around here are very much jumping the gun here about the future, more specifically the next years.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanyo View Post
    I want the Jays to contend but then the more I think about it, the more I realize the Jays are in a deep hole with pitching and its going to take either a) a miracle for the Jays to have them all improve next season or b) depart with more prized assets to get pitching.

    jays could go after ervin santana but he's going to have an over inflated price tag. So will Garza. And I'm not really a fan of any of the pitchers coming to the free agency market in 2014 either.

    It's just an utter mess to be honest...
    this is why i feel that they need to go after an ace esp. in the AL. The AL East is the toughest division in all of baseball.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    T.O., Canada
    Posts
    14,412
    vCash
    1500
    No, they don't need an ace. Who was the O's ace last year? Who is the Red Sox' ace this year? The Jays need a lot of guys to be better and they could certainly use another dependable arm, but they don't need any one thing besides getting better production at a lot of spots on the diamond.
    2013

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    6,620
    vCash
    1500
    I think it would be easier to improve some of the holes in our lineup offensively.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    No, they don't need an ace. Who was the O's ace last year? Who is the Red Sox' ace this year? The Jays need a lot of guys to be better and they could certainly use another dependable arm, but they don't need any one thing besides getting better production at a lot of spots on the diamond.
    well...they have Lester, Peavy, Lackey.....Buccholz is their ace however hes on the DL. Actually, have u noticed that the Red Sox are struggling at the moment. They need Clay Buccholz so badly. As for the Orioles, there's a reason why they ended up getting Scott Feldman and Bud Norris. Tillman is having an All-Star year for the Orioles.
    Last edited by rockbottom2010; 08-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    T-dot
    Posts
    10,729
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    well...they have Lester, Peavy, Lackey.....Buccholz is their ace however hes on the DL. Actually, have u noticed that the Red Sox are struggling at the moment. They need Clay Buccholz so badly. As for the Orioles, there's a reason why they ended up getting Scott Feldman and Bud Norris. Tillman is having an All-Star year for the Orioles.
    HA!

    Lester and his 4.31 ERA?

    Peavy had a good year last year but this year has been no where near ace for the past 3 years

    And really you are counting on Lackey who had been atrocious the past 2 years?

    None of these guys are aces but have pitched better this year and had the blue jays had their guys not completely wet the bed at the same time year, they (blue jays) would be right there with boston.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    T.O., Canada
    Posts
    14,412
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dtmagnet View Post
    I think it would be easier to improve some of the holes in our lineup offensively.
    And defensively.
    2013

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,287
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    well...they have Lester, Peavy, Lackey.....Buccholz is their ace however hes on the DL. Actually, have u noticed that the Red Sox are struggling at the moment. They need Clay Buccholz so badly. As for the Orioles, there's a reason why they ended up getting Scott Feldman and Bud Norris. Tillman is having an All-Star year for the Orioles.
    I'm confused... Are Bud Norris and Scott feldman aces?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,843
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    well...they have Lester, Peavy, Lackey.....Buccholz is their ace however hes on the DL. Actually, have u noticed that the Red Sox are struggling at the moment. They need Clay Buccholz so badly. As for the Orioles, there's a reason why they ended up getting Scott Feldman and Bud Norris. Tillman is having an All-Star year for the Orioles.
    Not a single one of the guys you mentioned is an ace.


    The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •