Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Murphy ..

vCash

Murphy ..

If we put him on the waiver wire, Could we maybe trade him?

vCash
    Someone would take him but it's better imo if they wait to offseason to move him and package him in a deal for a SS or OF possibly.

You won't get much for Murph by himself.

vCash
    I would consider a Murph for Dorsys Paulino with the Indians. Murph can play 3B for the Indians.

The Future

vCash
    If Flores cant stick at 2B due to fielding limitations then I dont see a point in dealing Murph.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    If Flores cant stick at 2B due to fielding limitations then I dont see a point in dealing Murph.
    The only way to know is to let Flores play there. Hopefully in September and during winter ball he gets more opportunities there, to give the Mets a better idea of whether he can stick.

If he can, i would send Murphy on the next plane out of here in the right deal.
    Last edited by metswon69; 08-17-2013 at 12:14 AM.

vCash
    Murphy offensive game is best suited for 2nd base or for a multi positional bench guy and alone I doubt he has much value.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    Of course.

vCash
    I don't see the point in trading him now. The best you could hope for would be a lateral move, and it's not like we're desperate to clear his salary or he's a bad clubhouse guy. So, what would be the point?

Keeping him for now just gives us more options in the offseason, and we will need them.

vCash
    second baseman with ten HR. not horrible.

He pretty much is a top ten player in almost every meaningful offensive category as a 2B. Why people just want to get rid of him is funny.
    Last edited by Captain Moroni; 08-17-2013 at 12:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post

He pretty much is a top ten player in almost every meaningful offensive category as a 2B. Why people just want to get rid of him is funny.
    False. Out of 18 qualifying 2B, here's how Murphy stacks up:

12th in OBP
    11th in SLG
    10th in fWAR

Add in mediocre at best defense, and you get an average player with no upside. Give me Flores who has higher projection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post

I love Murph; he's one of my favorite guys on this roster.

But I think how you've phrased this is a little misleading.

He's 10th in WAR, 11th in wRC+, 11th in SLG, 12th in wOBA, 12th in OBP, 12th in ISO, and a dismal 17th in BB% (at, my goodness, just 4.4%!!!).

These are meaningful, important stats that (taken together) have him as pretty middle of the road, offensively. He's 8th in batting average, but...I mean...when your OBP and SLG are as low as his, who cares?

He's 7th in RBI, but that's mostly a product of his teammates getting on base. Are we really going to cling to the 9 homeruns he's hit as something that tilts the scales here? Not if we're being serious.

In terms of creating runs, which is what wins games, he's a pretty average second basemen. If we consider ALL batters, regardless of position, he's well below average. For what it's worth, his 0.2 UZR is pretty much completely average defense, too.

Now, he seems like a great guy and a great teammate. But his salary is going up and is going to outpace his actual production. THAT'S why people want to get rid of him. The return on investment is about to bust.
    Last edited by FSD; 08-17-2013 at 01:03 AM.

vCash
    The walks are the most disappointing part to me. If he had a .340 OBP, I would probably keep him.

I'm not buying his UZR, I think his DRS is more accurate personally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    The walks are the most disappointing part to me. If he had a .340 OBP, I would probably keep him.

I'm not buying his UZR, I think his DRS is more accurate personally.
    Ditto.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    False. Out of 18 qualifying 2B, here's how Murphy stacks up:

12th in OBP
    11th in SLG
    10th in fWAR

Add in mediocre at best defense, and you get an average player with no upside. Give me Flores who has higher projection.
    If you had to pick a bat for the next 5 years between Flores and Murph, it would be Flores. And Flores can probably learn to play 2B at least as well as Murph.

But I think your stats there are a bit misleading. Those stats don't show that he's "about average" as an MLB 2B. They don't show that he's "about average" as a starter at 2B. They show that he's "about average" out of the 18 MLB clubs that have a 2B that qualifies. That means 12 clubs don't even have a qualified 2B. Some of them have had to deal with injuries, but there's also plenty of clubs that can't even find a 2B good enough to become qualified. So my best guess is that he's actually in the top 33% of MLB 2B men at the very least, if not better than that... and that's a reasonably valuable commodity.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    If you had to pick a bat for the next 5 years between Flores and Murph, it would be Flores. And Flores can probably learn to play 2B at least as well as Murph.

But I think your stats there are a bit misleading. Those stats don't show that he's "about average" as an MLB 2B. They don't show that he's "about average" as a starter at 2B. They show that he's "about average" out of the 18 MLB clubs that have a 2B that qualifies. That means 12 clubs don't even have a qualified 2B. Some of them have had to deal with injuries, but there's also plenty of clubs that can't even find a 2B good enough to become qualified. So my best guess is that he's actually in the top 33% of MLB 2B men at the very least, if not better than that... and that's a reasonably valuable commodity.
    With respect, I think you're overselling him. Being 10th, 11th, or 12th out of 18 places doesn't put you in the top 33rd percentile. It places you in the bottom half of all. And these are the categories he has his best showings in.

I think anyway you look at it, he's a pretty underwhelming bat.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast