Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which player is bettetr?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Claude Giroux

8 30.77%
  • Jonathan Toews

18 69.23%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Claude Giroux or Jonathan Toews 2

I posted this thread about a year and a half ago. Jonathan Toews won 39-28 in the votes. It was posted in December 2011. Now let's fast forward to August 2013, and see if anything has changed. Claude Giroux finished the 2011/2012 season with 90+ points (100 point pace) and Jonathan Toews just won his third Stanley Cup.

Previous Thread

Claude Giroux
    Philadelphia Flyers
    Captain
    25 years old
    2 Time NHL All-Star
    4 Playoffs

Career:
    333 career regular season games
    91 goals
    199 assists
    290 points
    .87 ppg

2012/2013:
    48 games
    13 goals
    34 assists
    47 points
    21:10 ATOI
    Missed playoffs

Jonathan Toews
    Chicago Blackhawks
    Captain
    25 years old
    3 Time NHL All-Star
    2 Stanley Cups
    5 Playoffs

Career:
    408 career NHL regular season games
    167 points
    205 assists
    372 points
    .91 PPG

2012/2013:
    47 games
    23 goals
    25 assists
    48 points
    19:21 ATOI
    Stanley Cup
    Selke

vCash
    Sadly, Toews has only won 2 stanley cups Bran, haha. But I will take Toews. Giroux is a better playmaker but Toews is a better goal scorer. I think results/accomplish matter and it's hard to say anyone has a better resume than Toews right now. That doesn't mean Toews is better than Crosby mind you, but when comparing players with very close offensive numbers it's fair. Toews actually has a better career ppg at .91 to Girroux's .87.

Basically, Giroux had one year that was significantly better than any year either have had. Some thought that would be his new normal (1.21 ppg), but he came back down to .98 ppg this year. Til I see that Giroux can produce at that higher level again, I'll take Toews.

Toews ppg has never gone down from one year to another.
    Last edited by b1e9a8r5s; 08-16-2013 at 05:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    Sadly, Toews has only won 2 stanley cups Bran, haha. But I will take Toews. Giroux is a better playmaker but Toews is a better goal scorer. I think results/accomplish matter and it's hard to say anyone has a better resume than Toews right now. That doesn't mean Toews is better than Crosby mind you, but when comparing players with very close offensive numbers it's fair. Toews actually has a better career ppg at .91 to Girroux's .87.

Basically, Giroux had one year that was significantly better than any year either have had. Some thought that would be his new normal (1.21 ppg), but he came back down to .98 ppg this year. Til I see that Giroux can produce at that higher level again, I'll take Toews.

Toews ppg has never gone down from one year to another.
    He had so many different injuries on his line last year. Not making an argument for either player.... Gonna just see how it goes in thread but I think I would slightly lean towards toews as well

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    I'm going to take Giroux. My stance on this has changed drastically from the last thread, I know, haha. However, it's not because my opinion on Giroux has changed dramatically ( I still don't think he's a top 10 player, but that's my opnion.) It's my view on Toews that has changed dramatically. After watching him actually play, his defensive game doesn't blow me away as much as I thought it would. He's phenominal still defensively, but I don't think he's a top 3 two way player in the NHL, or on the level of someone like Datsyuk or Bergeron in terms of two-way ability. (not to say he's not better than Bergeron... .which I think is debatable, but most would disagree, I just think his defense is not on par with him.)

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    He had so many different injuries on his line last year. Not making an argument for either player.... Gonna just see how it goes in thread but I think I would slightly lean towards toews as well
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking a .98 ppg season. That's a great year. I was thinking about it in the context of Toews v Giroux. Basically, the only arguement I can see for taking Girroux over Toews is if you believe Giroux's 2011-12 year is his new normal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking a .98 ppg season. That's a great year. I was thinking about it in the context of Toews v Giroux. Basically, the only arguement I can see for taking Girroux over Toews is if you believe Giroux's 2011-12 year is his new normal.
    Where on earth do you get .98 PPG when he had 48 points in 48 games. Oh wait Bran you screwed up

Jonathan Toews it the better OVERALL player. The knock on his was his production was never quite elite. Well the past 3 seasons his PPG is nearly 1.0, pretty damn solid, as close to elite as you can get really. He has some of the best faceoffs in the league and has a defensive game that's on another level than Giroux's.

I still believe that Claude Giroux's offensive talent is incredible. His skills on the ice offensively are better than Toews imo, and his best year is proof that he is that elite talent. 93 points in 77 games. If you want a talented mega star player similar to Stamkos, and to a very lesser degree Malkin, you'd rather have Giroux on the team. If you want an equally talented all around player, you'll go with Toews.

That's how I see these two players. Toews being more well-rounded but not necessarily more valuable.
    Last edited by i am bob; 08-16-2013 at 05:51 PM.

vCash
    I'm taking Toews here. Yes he has a bigger arsenal of weapons on his team, but his leadership and his experience in the playoffs, despite struggling so late into the playoffs this year, still has me taking the proven winner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmARanger18 View Post
    I'm taking Toews here. Yes he has a bigger arsenal of weapons on his team, but his leadership and his experience in the playoffs, despite struggling so late into the playoffs this year, still has me taking the proven winner.
    Such silly logic to me. So Danny Briere-------------->Everyone because of what he does in the playoffs?

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    Such silly logic to me. So Danny Briere-------------->Everyone because of what he does in the playoffs?
    That's not what i'm saying, what i'm saying is even with how bad he was in that Detroit series, I would still take him over Giroux, even with how bad he struggled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by i am bob View Post
    Where on earth do you get .98 PPG when he had 48 points in 48 games. Oh wait Bran you screwed up

Jonathan Toews it the better OVERALL player. The knock on his was his production was never quite elite. Well the past 3 seasons his PPG is nearly 1.0, pretty damn solid, as close to elite as you can get really. He has some of the best faceoffs in the league and has a defensive game that's on another level than Giroux's.

I still believe that Claude Giroux's offensive talent is incredible. His skills on the ice offensively are better than Toews imo, and his best year is proof that he is that elite talent. 93 points in 77 games. If you want a talented mega star player similar to Stamkos, and to a very lesser degree Malkin, you'd rather have Giroux on the team. If you want an equally talented all around player, you'll go with Toews.

That's how I see these two players. Toews being more well-rounded but not necessarily more valuable.
    He had 47 points in 48 games... Maybe he left a game injured or something. I don't know. Hockey reference and hockeydb both have the numbers listed the same.

vCash
    See I like Claude Giroux more. I think he is the best player. I think he's got more of the "it" factor. Jonathan Toews' still generally makes the player underrated to most, but I feel like he gets overrated more time sthan not. Great player, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather Claude Giroux.

Toews has played on a better team each and every year. Let's not forget that Chicago almost missed the playoffs a year ago. Giroux has a weaker cast, and does so much with it. What he did with Jagr and Hartnell was amazing. He's got a very good defensive game, great offensive game, and is just everywhere. He can do it all. He sets everything up, and the offense totally relys on him.

When Giroux is at his best, he's unstoppable. The same can not be said for Toews. When Toews and Zetterberg were both at their best, Zetterberg was getting the upper hand more times than not (playing with less talent too).

I like Toews, but give me Giroux. I think he's the better player. I don't think Toews can lead Philly to a playoff spot like Giroux can, and do work with it. I'd rather have Claude Giroux.

vCash
    Bran wings wanted another Giroux lover thread here. Toews is better

vCash
    Giroux all flippin' day. And yes, I'm a homer. People are not giving Giroux enough credit for his defensive ability. He is very solid defensively and kills penalties great. Toews has a much better +/- rating though, so I will give him that. That is really dependent upon goalie/defense as well though, so it's kind of a loaded rating in some ways. I would still take Giroux though. He has an ability to flip a switch and take it to the next level, which was clearly seen in game 6 against the Pens when he dumped Crosby and scored a goal on his first shift. Does Toews have a better resume? Yes. However, it takes a lot more than a captain to win a cup. It takes a team, and Chicago was freakish last year. Now please, don't take any of this the wrong way. I LOVE Toews and would love to have him on my team. He is one of the best two-way players since Datsyuk, and is a great captain. He clearly knows how to lead a team. When I say I would take Giroux it's a very slight edge. I would just rather have his offensive prowess and ability. He can do things with a puck at full speed that it makes it unfair...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    Bran wings wanted another Giroux lover thread here. Toews is better
    Pretty much. I was trying to figure out how to make a Claude Giroux thread without it looking obvious.

vCash
    I like Toew's defensively much more.
    There are no men like me, only me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast