Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Bryan F'n Pena

vCash

Bryan F'n Pena

This guy has been one of my favorite Tigers all year and he just keeps on shining. He's so underrated as to what he means to this team it's silly. Guy plays, injured or not, whenever he's called on and does it with solid play with the bat and on defense. I believe he only signed a one year contract so in my mind he's a MUST sign for next year, especially with all the injuries to Avila in the last two years.

Love watching this cat play!! He's a scapper just like I like my players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    This guy has been one of my favorite Tigers all year and he just keeps on shining. He's so underrated as to what he means to this team it's silly. Guy plays, injured or not, whenever he's called on and does it with solid play with the bat and on defense. I believe he only signed a one year contract so in my mind he's a MUST sign for next year, especially with all the injuries to Avila in the last two years.

Love watching this cat play!! He's a scapper just like I like my players.
    I don't watch but a couple of other teams play, so I may be exxagerating, but I think he has got to be the best "back up" catcher in the AL. He's got his flaws, but man was it a great signing.

vCash
    he's having a career year in terms of his hitting. And seems to be doing a good job catching the pitcher (i.e., managing the games). I obviously hope he keeps it up for at least the rest of this year.

But i wouldn't be surprised to see a drop off next year. Think avila from a few years ago. We all thought he was ready to be an amazing defensive catcher and hitter, capable of hitting .300. what he batting now? Barely hitting .200...

That said, There was an article recently that Pena has really been watching the big guys (i.e., Cabrera, Fielder, VMart, Hunter, etc.) and how they approach the game. I believe he mentioned something about those guys having a plan when going to the plate. He's started to open up and ask these guys questions, picking their brains on things they do and "stealing", as he called it, tips from them. Seems like a good thing to do considering the Tigers have the best hitter on the planet.

Obviously, we all hope that this continues. And if it does, Avila may be the odd man out.

vCash
    I doubt Avila would be odd man out, Pena is 31 and is in a great situation as the backup to an oft injured left handed catcher. I'm liking Pena right now, but Avila is the still guy.

vCash
    A solid back-up catcher is a must and he has certainly been more than we could have hoped for.

vCash
    Very underrated signing.

Catches: 19 Yards: 171 TDs: 1