Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

2014 draft class

Looking through this draft class I can't help but to think of all the talent/potential in this class. Wiggins, Parker, randle, harrison twins, smart, James young, Aaron Gordon, GR3, and that's just the beginning. We could have guys like Russ smith, mcgary, gary Harris, poythres, cauley-stein, yogi Ferrell and more around in the mid to late first and there are even more I'm forgetting to mention. Granted I doubt all of them go pro this year but this class is just too stacked. And assuming detroits offseason has at least made us a borderline playoff team that means no 1st round pick this year. If u ask me I think Joe D needs to trade stuckey and his expiring deal to someplace that willing to give up a mid to late 1st. Any thoughts on this draft class and the possibility of us not having a chance at any of these players?

vCash
    It looks good so far but I'll wait for the NCAA season to start before calling it great. It does suck not having a pick but at least we have gotten good talent out of the last couple drafts. We still need that superstar though but looks like we will be waiting for one to come through a trade some day.

vCash
    I think we've got a good core adn build out from there. As we get better, I think it will open to more guys wanting to come to Det.

Common sense says some of these guys will either wait til 2015 because the 2014 is stacked and they'll drop and some will have subpar seasons for any number of reasons, also relagating them to 2015. Second, if this class is this deep, some team will pick one of these guys (who will be on a rookie contract) and make other talented guys available. You can't have that much of an influx (assuming it happens) and not have some vet/young vet squeezed out because of rebuilding, contract issues or just plain lesser of a talent.

We don't need to trade CV or Stuck unless there's somethign out there that makes us demonstrably better, rather than a "gee, if this guy continues playing this way . ."

I've said it for two years now, cash is king in the NBA. Perfect example: Bos gives up Melo for Greene. That trade puts them under the cap if they cut Greene. They did so, because they paid the lux tax the last two seasons and if they had paid this year (i.e., next summer), in any one of the next two following seasons if they had been over the cap, they would have faced the lux tax PLUS more because they would be classified as a repeat offender.

Some team will fall in that trap next summer - or because of the draft and talent. We can afford to be patient - which is something we haven't been able to say in a long time.
    Last edited by markbutter; 08-16-2013 at 10:37 AM.

vCash
    We can always do what the Cavs did and take on salary and swap contracts and pick up their first rounder, at least then we can get a top 15'ish pick

vCash
    I think the 2014 draft class will be better than this year's. Also I think we pick higher in 2014 than we did in 2013. Probably a pick somewhere in the lower to upper teens.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 5-8, games this week vs. Chicago White Sox (3), Baltimore (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: 11-5, 2013 AFC South Champs, great season guys.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, good effort guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todu82 View Post
    I think the 2014 draft class will be better than this year's. Also I think we pick higher in 2014 than we did in 2013. Probably a pick somewhere in the lower to upper teens.
    what

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    what
    I think he just recently became a fan or something.

vCash
    Anything past 8 we lose the pick right?
    If we didn't sign Jennings & Smith we would still probably lose the pick...

vCash
    Still very possible we get the pick, no guarantee this squad gels, we could also move up in the lottery if we don't make the playoffs, I give it a 10-15% chance we keep our own pick next year.

vCash
    I would trade EVERYTHING plus 2 future 1st rd picks for Wiggins. No...not really, I want to see the cow in action before a want to buy it! I would probably give up Monroe/Jennings/KCP/a future unprotected 1st rd pick for Wiggins though.

vCash
    Wiggins or not, I'd still like for us to try and snag a 1st round pick in this upcoming draft. You can't just pass a chance to get into a draft as rich as this one will potentially be...

#ERMAHGERD

vCash
    Wiggins is overrated, and this is coming from a canadian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    Wiggins is overrated, and this is coming from a canadian.
    I'll also go with this until I see him actually do good in college or the NBA.