Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Phillies and second baseman Chase Utley have reached agreement on an extension

By Zach Links [August 7, 2013 at 6:28pm CST]
    The Phillies and second baseman Chase Utley have reached agreement on a contract extension, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com (on Twitter). The two sides are close on a two-year deal that would be in the high $20MM range with multiple vesting options, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

vCash
    Good deal for both.

vCash
    Not a fan of the deal, knew it would happen but I would rather have Freddy Galvis and his glove at second for .5M than Utley at 13.5M (rumored 27/2) so we can address other needs...but that's Amaro for you.
    Proud Temple University Alumni
    Eagles: Jeremy Maclin
    Phillies: Jake Diekman
    76ers: Nerlens Noel
    Flyers: Brayden Schenn
    Temple Football: P.J. Walker/Zaire Williams
    Temple Basketball: Quenton DeCosey

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I hate domes... Brees wouldnt have a Job if there were no Domes

vCash
    So much for getting younger.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    Not sure how anyone can complain about this deal

vCash
    Because he is 34 yo, declining and with bad knees.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers and Man City fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

vCash
    I dont mind the deal at all... That being said I wish we could move him to first and squeeze the rest of the talent out of him while his knees hold up.... If Delmon young can play the outfield Ruf should be fine... Utley at first and Howard off this team... Right there we are a ton better offensively and defensively

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    The knee issue has been addressed. How many times does this need to be said. Even the physical therapist on the boards chimes in every time you all bring up the chondromalacia.

Synester, don't you think Cesar Hernandez is ahead of Galvis on the 2B depth chart?

The team also needs at least some players with elite potential if they want any shot at making the postseason. Replacing Utley with Galvis just makes it substantially less likely that the Phillies can contend. If you draw up the myriad ways the Phillies can possibly compete, Utley would feature prominently in a vast vast majority of them.

If you move him to 1B, he goes from being a borderline elite player to an average player and there is still no scientific reason to expect him to be healthier. I'm unaware of a single piece of creditable research showing that playing 1B actually reduces a player's injury risk.
    Last edited by The A Team; 08-08-2013 at 05:42 AM.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    The knee issue has been addressed. How many times does this need to be said. Even the physical therapist on the boards chimes in every time you all bring up the chondromalacia.

Synester, don't you think Cesar Hernandez is ahead of Galvis on the 2B depth chart?

The team also needs at least some players with elite potential if they want any shot at making the postseason. Replacing Utley with Galvis just makes it substantially less likely that the Phillies can contend. If you draw up the myriad ways the Phillies can possibly compete, Utley would feature prominently in a vast vast majority of them.

If you move him to 1B, he goes from being a borderline elite player to an average player and there is still no scientific reason to expect him to be healthier. I'm unaware of a single piece of creditable research showing that playing 1B actually reduces a player's injury risk.

Truly is amazing how quickly people are just willing to let this team go back to the way it was in most of the 90's and early 2000's.

Why do you guys (obviously not you A-Team) think it's just so easy to rebuild in baseball? This isn't hockey or basketball or even football. Baseball just doesn't work the same way. Teams go through years - and more than just 2 or 3 - of just horrific baseball after a rebuild before they look like they can contend.

Also, baseball is the longest sport of the year by far. How are you going to get people to come to 81 games a year when you're putting dreck on the field every single night? They aren't going to come watch Hamels and Lee or even the Cuban (if he actually is signed) if they can't win due to a lack of ANYTHING around them.

This team has a TV deal coming up. They can't afford to lose ALL of their fans due to a poor team on the field. They need to at least try to put pieces on the field that can win ball games; Utley is one of those guys.

Don't turn this into another "we hate Ryan Howard" thread. This is about Utley. For what he got, and for what he brings to the team, this is a good deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    Truly is amazing how quickly people are just willing to let this team go back to the way it was in most of the 90's and early 2000's.

Why do you guys (obviously not you A-Team) think it's just so easy to rebuild in baseball? This isn't hockey or basketball or even football. Baseball just doesn't work the same way. Teams go through years - and more than just 2 or 3 - of just horrific baseball after a rebuild before they look like they can contend.

Also, baseball is the longest sport of the year by far. How are you going to get people to come to 81 games a year when you're putting dreck on the field every single night? They aren't going to come watch Hamels and Lee or even the Cuban (if he actually is signed) if they can't win due to a lack of ANYTHING around them.

This team has a TV deal coming up. They can't afford to lose ALL of their fans due to a poor team on the field. They need to at least try to put pieces on the field that can win ball games; Utley is one of those guys.

Don't turn this into another "we hate Ryan Howard" thread. This is about Utley. For what he got, and for what he brings to the team, this is a good deal.
    I agree with this 100%. Also, I don't know of another guy in all of baseball that runs out every play, plows through catchers when down 12 games in the division, and just gives it his all every night like Chase Utley. Why would you want Galvis at 2nd? He's cheaper? So do you just want a team of .5m guys and not contend at all? At least with Utley, Lee, Hamels, Brown, Revere, and Rollins you have a good mix of youth and experience. Also, you have players that all are going to be in the top 7 or 10 in their position every year. We need to work on finding a steady RF and a Third basemen with ability and avoid catcher injuries next year. Platoon Howard and Ruf at 1st.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post

It's really either or depending on if the Phils value Galvis' defense or Hernandez offense higher IMO, I'm just not fully convinced Cesar's bat translates to MLB. I also think people are taking a wait and see approach to believing Utley's knee issues are behind him

vCash
    I find it funny how people act like this team is a legit contender with Chase Utley...just as delusional as Amaro. Utley has played a majority of the season and guess what the Phillies are 11 games under .500!!!!!! I understand the majority of you have your mancrush on Chase and want to still re-live our great playoff runs by having the same players still here but that will only hurt us in the future. I have never said "rebuilding is easy", all I am saying is that I would rather start rebuilding now than keep waiting for years and years and set this team further and further back. That should be common sense.

How many wins does Utley give you over Galvis/Hernandez a year...2 being the lowest and 4 probably if everything goes right? Guess what the Phillies are still a .500 team, you guys act like this team is set up to make a playoff push or something.
    Last edited by Synyster89; 08-08-2013 at 11:27 AM.

vCash
    Happy with this deal. It's fair value on a short term, Utley's still one of the better second basemen in the game, and I want him to play for the Phillies until he retires.

$13-14 million spent on a productive player isn't a bad move by any means. Galvis and Hernandez both profile as utility guys anyway. I like the idea of having them as insurance against injuries to Utley or Rollins.

vCash
    I think Galvis' real value comes from his defense at SS, not at 2nd. Utley's deal seems fair and I'm happy he's staying in Philly. I believe he has learned how to work around his knee issues and be a real contributor for the next few years. I can't be mad at this at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandrew View Post
    I think Galvis' real value comes from his defense at SS, not at 2nd. Utley's deal seems fair and I'm happy he's staying in Philly. I believe he has learned how to work around his knee issues and be a real contributor for the next few years. I can't be mad at this at all.
    Galvis' defensive value is maximized at SS but you saw what an impact his glove could have at 3B even. Im not mad at the deal either...as Utley is still a good player and clubhouse guy but Im worried we will never start the rebuild at this rate. If we resign Halladay than that confirms it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast