Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Comments on ESPN articles since requiring Facebook login

Just an observation, but isn't it funny (but not at all surprising) that the volume of comments on ESPN articles has shrunk to a small fraction of what it used to be before the recent update requiring people to post with their Facebook accounts (as opposed to using an anonymous ESPN.com acct. like before)?

Some articles would generate several thousand comments, and now it's down to like a 100 or so for many, if that. It just goes to show you how many of the comments used to be from trolls or were just hate-filled and ignorant comments that people won't leave when their real identities are attached to them. Kind of sad that for many people it takes a fear of consequences to keep their behavior in check and within acceptable norms. It's obvious that for many people, being decent and kind is something they only do when doing the opposite carries negative repercussions with it.

vCash
    good thing too...tired of the internet tough guys/know it alls, hiding behind anonymous screen names.

vCash
    Or a lot of people are like me and just don't want to log in using their Facebook in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shareeb_omac2 View Post
    Or a lot of people are like me and just don't want to log in using their Facebook in general.
    I'm with you. I'm not keen on leaving digital fingerprints everywhere I go, even when it's by choice. But the new system definitely cut down on a lot of the ignorant, hateful stuff that was polluting the comments. It just speaks further to low moral character of the people who would leave offensive remarks that they're too cowardly to do it when they can't do it anonymously. People still disagree and talk some trash, but it's a lot more civil.