Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Trade value of Max Scherzer?

Age 29 (just turned 29 a few days ago)
    1 more season of team control
    Coming off the best season of his career, probably in the Cy Young discussion
    His agent is Scott Boras who (IIRC) prefers to take his clients to free agency

Knowing all of the above information, just wondering what everyone thinks Max Scherzer could fetch in a trade this offseason. I don't think it's a for sure thing but I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers try to trade him in the offseason.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Age 29 (just turned 29 a few days ago)
    1 more season of team control
    Coming off the best season of his career, probably in the Cy Young discussion
    His agent is Scott Boras who (IIRC) prefers to take his clients to free agency

Knowing all of the above information, just wondering what everyone thinks Max Scherzer could fetch in a trade this offseason. I don't think it's a for sure thing but I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers try to trade him in the offseason.
    Well I doubt they would just because they're contenders, but he'd be worth a big haul hypothetically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Well I doubt they would just because they're contenders, but he'd be worth a big haul hypothetically.
    Yeah, but i'm wondering how big of a haul considering he only has 1 more year of team control and has boras as an agent. I think that severely decreases his value in a trade.

vCash
    Could probably fetch a Top 50 guy as a headliner, maybe top 30. Hard to tell.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Dependa who would be trading for him. Look what TOR gave up for freaking Di.ckey. lol imagine what they would give up for max.

vCash
    Look what half a season of Garza got. A full season of Scherzer should get more than that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Look what half a season of Garza got. A full season of Scherzer should get more than that.
    yeah exactly.

vCash
    Absolutely no way they shop him, so it's a pointless discussion. The Tigers' window will close within 3-5 years, and possibly sooner. No point in trading good, young power pitching.

vCash
    The Tigers aren't a team that trades its good players away. I cant remember even on trade they did that they weren't bringing them in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus16969 View Post
    The Tigers aren't a team that trades its good players away. I cant remember even on trade they did that they weren't bringing them in.
    They traded Granderson and Edwin Jackson in the package deal that brought them unproven players/prospects (at the time) Scherzer and Jackson.

They can't just keep giving out huge contracts to everyone. There is a limit ya know. Assuming they re-sign Cabrera in a few years (which I think they will) they will have three 20+ million contracts and a one 15+ million contract on the books long term. That's alot of money tied up long term. Sanchez got 16 million/year so Scherzer will command at least that but likely a little closer to 20.

I just don't see them operating long term with 100 million tied up to just 5 players. Tough decisions will have to be made. If I was the Tigers, I would try to deal Scherzer in a trade similar to the Granderson trade. They need to supplement the team with low cost, controllable talent and fill positions that way. Since they dont get anything from the minors the trade route is the only way to do it.

The payroll can't increase indefinitely...Fister, Jackson, Porcello are all going to need new deals in the next 1-3 years as well. Something has got to give.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 08-04-2013 at 05:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Yeah, but i'm wondering how big of a haul considering he only has 1 more year of team control and has boras as an agent. I think that severely decreases his value in a trade.
    Probably a top 30 prospect as a head-liner.

It's hard to tell, contending teams don't sell assets like that.

I understand you are concerned about them over-paying too many players. But I'm sure there is room for Max in the cupboard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Probably a top 30 prospect as a head-liner.

It's hard to tell, contending teams don't sell assets like that.

I understand you are concerned about them over-paying too many players. But I'm sure there is room for Max in the cupboard.
    The local beat writers have speculated they may look to move Max in the offseason as well, so FWIW it's not just me making this up out of nowhere.

vCash
    ^ I wouldn't be too concerned.

vCash
    What makes a trade more unlikely is what the Tigers would need. You look at Shields, Garza, etc, they al netted top prospects. I would have to imagine the Tigers would be looking for MLB ready/established talent.

vCash
    Seeing how much guys like Dickey, Shields, and Garza have netted its safe to say the Tigers would get a nice haul for Scherzer if they were to deal him. Like others have mentioned, they would net a top 30 prospects for the headliner along with other smaller pieces. The Tigers are in win now mode though, my guess is they wouldn't deal him unless they thought there was zero chance of resigning him.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast