Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Is there a worse defensive team in the league then the Lakers?

I'm stealing this line from Bill Simmons: "Imagine a crunch-time unit of Kaman, Gasol, Young, a still-recovering Kobe and 40-year-old Steve Nash, with the immortal Mike D'Antoni coaching them. Has there ever been a more abominable defensive team? Their opponents could just run offenses in the form of a layup line. Go, Jimmy Boy Buss! Keep doing the damned thing!"

We probably aren't the worst defensive team in the league, but it's close.

1. We have the worst defensive coach in the league.

2. Kobe doesn't guard anymore. And that was before the injury

3. We probably have the worst defensive starting PG in the league.

4. We might have the slowest and least athletic 4/5 big man combo in the league.

vCash
    Yep we'll try to outscore opponents every night in pure dantoni style, but it doesn't really matter since we'll not contend this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    Yep we'll try to outscore opponents every night in pure dantoni style, but it doesn't really matter since we'll not contend this year.
    Until the wheels start to fall apart! Then we get another coach and maybe the number one pick plus one big free agent to start all over again. The closest competitor to reach us in terms of rings is Chicago with 6. So by the time any team starts to gain momentum to challenge us in that department we will be back to pass the Celts for good! That is my dream and I hope Kobe still around to laugh together!
    When?

vCash
    Not the worst defensive team in the league, but certainly amongst the bottom half in that department.

vCash
    I drink my beer and weep at all the wide open 3s and uncontested layups this team will give up next year.

Its going to be frustrating, so frustrating.

vCash
    Yea not the bottom of the barrel but damn it's gonna get ugly at times to watch this team defensively unless they somehow work as one unit on D.
    Last edited by GREATNESS ONE; 08-01-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Spell check for the llullz
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenged24 View Post
    go raiders

vCash
    Kurt "superman"Rambis is gonna fix all of this...........relax it's all good

The truth is painful

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    I'm stealing this line from Bill Simmons: "Imagine a crunch-time unit of Kaman, Gasol, Young, a still-recovering Kobe and 40-year-old Steve Nash, with the immortal Mike D'Antoni coaching them. Has there ever been a more abominable defensive team? Their opponents could just run offenses in the form of a layup line. Go, Jimmy Boy Buss! Keep doing the damned thing!"

4. We might have the slowest and least athletic 4/5 big man combo in the league.

agree with with #1 and #3 but dont forget that calderon doesnt guar much neither the first that come to mind. kobe plays decent defense it isnt like he does nothing so cannot agree with you there. Gasol isnt the faster but still can move fast when he want to cant forget about what he did on christmassee video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV-iclFrce8

vCash
    So, we're the second worst defensive team?

vCash

You're probably right about d'antoni, but kobe can still plays excellent on ball defense, it's his off ball defense where he tends to slack off, not all the time, but enough that it's noticeable. You're probably right about nash. But I disagree about gasol and kaman being the slowest 4/5 combo. Gasol can still get up and down the floor pretty well for a big man. It depends on who starts at the 4 and 5 though. Either way, we still have a lot of length and are way more athletic on the perimeter than we were last season.

vCash
    Its okay, Clark Kent (Rambis) will save us.

vCash
    I haven't seen Kobe play consistent defense for 3 years.

vCash

1. Who, Rambis? Here are some facts that people seriously overlook with Rambis.
    a. He was the assistant GM under west when Phil was hired.
    b. He went 24-13 and won in the 1st round during the lockout season...then we hired Phil.
    c. From 2001-2004, he was the assistant coach, and he was in charge of defense
    d. He was rehired in 2005 and helped us reach the finals in 2008 and 2009
    e. He's one of the best assistant coaches in the league.

2. Kobe is a great on ball defender still, he's a poor team defender as he likes to play "safety" in the middle and slacks off his man. Then again, he did ALOT of this after Rambis left to the wolves, I feel with him back, you will see a different Kobe defensively as Rambis knows his tendencies better than anyone other than Phil and Shaw.

3. Calderon? Nash posted a surprising 111 defensive rating, which is not bad tbh, there is worse. Isaiah Thomas (115), Aaron Brooks (114), Ramon Sessions (114), Damien Lillard , Kendall Marshall and Greivis Vasquez (all 112),

4. Oh, there could be slower. Any team with Okafor on their team has a slooow front line. Pau isn't that slow, his foot was hurt...you run with plantir and that knee, both which he fixed this off season. Pau is methodical, but he's quick. How many 7 footers in this league can take the ball off the dribble from the top of the key like Pau?

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    We're definitely up there.

vCash
    If we mix up the rotations the right way, we could really have a solid defensive unit on the floor:

Farmar
    Kobe
    Wes J
    E. Harris
    J. Hill

Just need to find the right balance between offense and D on the floor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast