Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biogenesis

vCash

Biogenesis

Commissioner Bud Selig is prepared to levy a lifetime suspension on New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, while suspending about eight others before the weekend, two people with knowledge of the negotiations told USA TODAY Sports.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nesis/2606319/

This really pisses me off. The Yankees might be let off the hook for what was at the time viewed as a stupid business decision. How is this even allowed?

vCash
    He'll fight it. What proof is there other than documentation? He didn't fail a test. I do agree that the contract should have to be paid in one form or another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4 View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nesis/2606319/

This really pisses me off. The Yankees might be let off the hook for what was at the time viewed as a stupid business decision. How is this even allowed?
    AI, I think that you're letting your dislike for the Yankees (understandable in a Red Sox fan, after all) color your thinking here. This is about punishing the player, not punishing the team.

I agree from a Red Sox perspective, it stinks that the Yanks might get out from under the Arod contract and free up all that money sooner than expected. But I don't see how there's any basis for also penalizing the team here.

As an aside, about the best/fairest penalty I could think of here, if Arod was banned for life, would be for the Yanks to have to carry the remainder of Arod's contract as a penalty on their luxury tax payroll total without actually having to pay out the contract. That way, the Yanks don't have to pay the actual money, but are still functionally penalized on their lux tax numbers. Of course, if they're not actually paying Arod and keep the money, it would be easier for them to absorb paying the lux tax with Arod's money, but no solution is perfect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    He'll fight it. What proof is there other than documentation? He didn't fail a test. I do agree that the contract should have to be paid in one form or another.
    Nomar, as I said above, these penalties are against the player, not the team. And I'm not aware of any team penalties in these cases other than denying the teams the services of their players, which can be significant if the team is a playoff contender, like the Tigers or the Rangers.

But are the Tigers or the Rangers guilty of the "crimes" that their players' committed? Should they be penalized beyond the loss of the players' services? Don't make this about the Yankees, just because you hate the Yanks as any true Sox fan does. It's an issue for any team that has a player get suspended.

vCash
    My main problem with this is that they assumed the risk, they decided to pay way beyond what any other team was willing to commit and now they are getting a free get out of jail card. Has nothing to do with the Yankees, it's just wrong. They had no problem riding his bat or paying him when he was still young and producing, regardless of PED allegations at that time, but now that he's old and broken down they are being portrayed as the "victims" which shouldn't be the case.

I think it's wrong that a team shouldn't be expected to honor a contract and assume the risk involved with said contract, be it the Yankees or Astros. It's wrong.

vCash
    It's still a get out of jail free card for Cashman. That contract is ridiculous and they get out of the worst part of it from this.

vCash
    To go further on what this "lifetime suspension" will mean:

$10M signing bonus ($2M paid upon approval, $1M paid each Jan. 15, 2009-2013, $3M paid Jan. 15, 2014)
    08:$27M, 09:$32M, 10:$32M, 11:$31M, 12:$29M, 13:$28M, 14:$25M, 15:$21M, 16:$20M, 17:$20M
    That's $86M over the next 4 years that NYY would be off the hook of. Plus the following incentives:

$30M marketing agreement based on home run milestones ($6M each for reaching 660, 714, 755 and tying and breaking major league HR record)
    Teams usually do extensive background work getting to know players both on and off the field, their character and what type of people they are before signing them. The Yankees assumed the risk, so why be let off the hook?

vCash
    Once again, AI, you're turning what is supposed to be an issue of punishing the player into an issue of the team. No one questions not paying a player like Braun when he gets suspended for the rest of the season, and how the Brewers are going to avoid paying him for the rest of the season.

So, I'm sorry, but I *DO* think that you're letting the fact that this is about the Yankees color your thinking.

vCash
    I'm using the A-Rod suspension as an example because it's the only extreme suspension that is being reported. Braun got 65 games, 50 for PED use and 15 extra games for breaking a CBA rule, which is understandable and MIL is assuming all risk beyond those 65 games.

Why must A-Rod receive a lifetime ban though? It all seems too fishy to me and goes right along with all the conspiracy rumors that NYY were cooperating with MLB trying to make an example out of Alex.

vCash
    I'm using the A-Rod suspension as an example because it's the only extreme suspension that is being reported. Braun got 65 games, 50 for PED use and 15 extra games for breaking a CBA rule, which is understandable and MIL is assuming all risk beyond those 65 games.

Why must A-Rod receive a lifetime ban though? It all seems too fishy to me and goes right along with all the conspiracy rumors that NYY were cooperating with MLB trying to make an example out of Alex.
    Ahhh, now that's a a different question entirely.

Is MLB making an example of Arod? Maybe. Governments/Dept's of Justice make examples of people all the time. There nothing new in that.

Now, if you want to suggest that MLB is targeting Arod specifically to help the Yankees get out from under his bad contract, fire away. I have no opinion on that at the moment.

But the fact still remains that you are turning this into a team issue when it's about punishing PLAYERS.

vCash
    And if you are going to punish players shouldn't they all be punished equally? 50 games for everybody on the Biogenesis list and 65 games (15 extra games for breaking CBA rule) for Braun and A-Rod.

Why must Alex be the one guy who gets a lifetime ban on a first offense? He never failed a test before even though everybody knows that he was in fact a user. It all seems too fishy to me.

vCash
    And if you are going to punish players shouldn't they all be punished equally? 50 games for everybody on the Biogenesis list and 65 games (15 extra games for breaking CBA rule) for Braun and A-Rod.

Why must Alex be the one guy who gets a lifetime ban on a first offense? He never failed a test before even though everybody knows that he was in fact a user. It all seems too fishy to me.
    Didn't you read the entire thread in the MLB section on this topic? Arod would be getting punished for other things, such as interfering with the process. If *all* he was guilty of was doing some roids, he'd probably be in the same boat as Braun.

vCash
    The funny part is how the Pats still have AH count against them, but because Arod will be suspended it saves the Yankees. Pretty funny how differently the two leagues operate.
    -

vCash
    so why is everyone else taking the 50 game punishment w/o arguing that they didn't fail a drug test?
    A-Roid has gone Roger Clemens stupid and he will lose any appeal he decides to do.

vCash
    There are ways to punish the player without helping the team he was on... which is exactly what the MLB would be doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast