Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Orioles acquire Bud Norris from Astros is a package headlined by LJ Hoes

Orioles To Acquire Bud Norris
    By Steve Adams [July 31 at 2:35pm CST]
    The Orioles and Astros have agreed to a trade that will send Bud Norris to Baltimore for L.J. Hoes and another piece, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

I like the move since we did not have to give up Eduardo Rodriguez or Schoop (obviously Gausman and Bundy would not have been involved here). I believe Norris is under contract through the 2015 season, so welcome to Baltimore Bud!

vCash
    The Orioles and Astros have agreed to a trade that will send Bud Norris to Baltimore for L.J. Hoes and another piece, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

Norris, 28, has a 3.93 ERA with 6.4 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 126 innings with the Astros this season. Despite being Houston's highest paid player, Norris is earning just $3MM in 2013. He is controlled through 2015 and is eligible for arbitration for the second time this offseason.

Hoes, a 23-year-old outfielder, ranked as Baltimore's No. 6 prospect prior to the season according to Baseball America. Selected by the Orioles in the third round of the 2008 draft, Hoes is batting .304/.406/.403 in 430 plate appearances for Triple-A Norfolk this season.

vCash
    You have to wonder what the other piece is though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    You have to wonder what the other piece is though...
    Josh Hader and a 2014 draft pick is what ESPN is reporting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DCproud22 View Post
    Josh Hader and a 2014 draft pick is what ESPN is reporting
    I can live with Hader, but I am not too happy about losing the comp pick. The thing is when we sucked, we drafted the Bundy's and Machados, and as long as we are good, not elite talent will be available, therefore making these comp picks all the more valuable to us. Instead of picking in the top 5 as we are used to, we are picking in the 20's and you aren't going to get someone who blossoms into a top prospect in most cases where we will be drafting.

vCash
    Losing the pick doesn't bother me at all. The draft is a crap shoot no matter where u pick. It's more about scouting than ever before. U can get a superstar anywhere in the draft.

Heck....Trout was a late first round pick. DD and Buck are doing a very good job of building the game system so we have impact players from within or have the ability to trade. Picking up Norris isn't a superstar but his stats say he is a good enough to be our #4 this year and for a few more years. Our staff will probably lose Feldman and Hamel after this year.

vCash
    Unbelievable!!! Very Happy. Hader looks good and might hurt in the long run but Hoes never was able to make the jump. Norris is a top end guy who has never been on a good team (Legit # 2). Can't wait to see him pitch with the O's defense behind him. Not to mention the the runs the Os can put on the board. We still have Bundy and Gausman and Rodriguez. Also, Bud is pretty cheap and with us for a few years. Great move.

I think this team's pitching could really sneak up on some people. Tillman really has been a #1/#2 over the last 30 days. Same can be said for Chen. Miguel Gonz has been a solid 3/4. With Norris sliding in around the top of the rotation and Fieldman and Hammel rounding out the 5 spot this team is really solid. Combine that with our established Bullpen and let's go for October!!!!!

As for the future, keep the young guys healthy.
    2014 rotation- (Norris, Chen, Tillman,... best case Bundy, Gausman) Miguel Gonz, Britton, Hammel, Feildman, Steven Johnson- adding depth if our two future studs aren't ready. Rodriguez and Hunter Harvey waiting in the wings. Good job DD. Great trade deadline

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeydady View Post
    Unbelievable!!! Very Happy. Hader looks good and might hurt in the long run but Hoes never was able to make the jump. Norris is a top end guy who has never been on a good team (Legit # 2). Can't wait to see him pitch with the O's defense behind him. Not to mention the the runs the Os can put on the board. We still have Bundy and Gausman and Rodriguez. Also, Bud is pretty cheap and with us for a few years. Great move.

I think this team's pitching could really sneak up on some people. Tillman really has been a #1/#2 over the last 30 days. Same can be said for Chen. Miguel Gonz has been a solid 3/4. With Norris sliding in around the top of the rotation and Fieldman and Hammel rounding out the 5 spot this team is really solid. Combine that with our established Bullpen and let's go for October!!!!!

As for the future, keep the young guys healthy.
    2014 rotation- (Norris, Chen, Tillman,... best case Bundy, Gausman) Miguel Gonz, Britton, Hammel, Feildman, Steven Johnson- adding depth if our two future studs aren't ready. Rodriguez and Hunter Harvey waiting in the wings. Good job DD. Great trade deadline
    You think Norris is a #2? I feel he is more of an average #3 starter or good #4 starter. He used to strikeout a ton of people, but he has lost some velocity and is more of a contact pitcher now. Heard he has a nasty slider, but he is ineffective against lefties even with that plus pitch, so we shall see.

vCash
    Norris is not a legit number 2, he is more of a 4-5.

It was a cheap pickup and while I like Hoes, he is expendable.

vCash
    Yeah Norris is a 3/4. Potential to grow into a 2/3. Feldman will probably walk at the end of the year along with potentially hammel. I think it will be
    Chen, Tillman, Miggy, Norris, and tbd next year.

It's a good trade. Helps us now and potentially the next two years.

We'll see tonight. He needs to shut down his old team and the rest will play out.

vCash
    Not bad outing for Norris. I think he'll do much better with the O's offense behind him. That's why I think he could be a 2 for us. True about Hammel and Feldman. I think they let Hammel walk and re-sign Feldman. He rounds out our five if our young guys aren't ready. If the office thinks they are, Feldman signs a short term deal or walks. bd, I like your rotation but I'd move Norris in front of Miggy and resign Feldman. I could see Gausman being ready to stay in the bigs by next the start of season and Bundy called up assuming rehab goes well. I just read that some scout saw Norris as an end of the bullpen guy in the future. If the youngins work out Chen, Tillman, Bundy, Gausman, and Miggy with Norris going to the bp looks real good. Or keep Norris in the rotation and move Miggy to long relief/spot starter. And hang the Banner Baby.

vCash
    I think Feldman and Hammel are gone as well. I'm ok with that. Unless Feldman really shows us something in the next two months and prove he can sustain this as a career year, I think he is going to get a 2 year deal in the off season and I don't want it to be from us unless he sprints to the finish. Honestly, I would like to see us look to trade both Hardy and Jim Johnson in the off season. I really feel we could land an ace in the right situation in a three team deal. We can't be extending Johnson. That is a luxury we cannot afford. Hardy is having an amazing season and we could get a haul for him considering he gets paid peanuts (relatively). Who would we put at third though if we shifted Manny back to SS?

vCash
    I think Feldman stays as 5th starter, Bud & Adair really like him.

Make a 2 year offer w/option to Hardy and keep him right at short, above average defense with decent bat. You aren't going to get anything better in return, and I honesty doubt even Hardy in a package will get you a TOR.

Keep Manny at 3rd, best defensive player in either leagues.

We can extend Johnson.

Keep in mind, new MLB TV money rises to 51 million per year, as opposed to 24 million for this year.

vCash
    I hear you Rick. We CAN extend Johnson, but the question is, is it smart to? We have the money, but couldn't that money be put to better use? He is going to want at least 10 mill a year. I don't think that is smart and I think Dan Duquette knows that. Honestly, I'll be surprised if Johnson is on the Orioles to start the 2015 season. I'll miss him, but time and time again, handing out multi-year contracts to relief pitchers will burn you more than it will benefit you.

If Johnson were a shut down closer (like Rivera), I would feel differently, but honestly, he is just a good pitcher on a team that plays in a lot of close games. He is flirting with having more saves than K's this year and that is not a good formula to continued success. The more guys you strike out, the less the ball is put in play.

I love Jimmy J, but I think we should extract some value out of him while we still can. Maybe we could give him a qualifying offer next season if he performs well and only have to pay him 13-14 mill for one year if he accepts. I just don't see us going out and giving him 3-4 years at 10-15 mill per season.

vCash
    Most closers are not shut down closers, they tend to give managers ulcers when on the mound.

Closing is such a mental toughness required, not all can be good closers and maintain it over the years.

I think keeping JJ will depend on the realistic $$$$ and leave it to DD to decide if he can replace him with somebody else. K-Rod sure doesn't look like the option.

JJ has done the job and continue to do the job, if used more wisely, then four games in a row, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast