Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Durant, Thunder brass give Cheeks hiring a big thumbs up

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/...ns_130729.html
    Kevin Durant was on his way to greatness before Maurice Cheeks joined the Oklahoma City coaching staff four years ago. But Cheeks helped to accelerate the process, says a source close to the situation. That source: Kevin Durant.

I loved being around him, Durant told me in Las Vegas last week, where he showed up on the final practice day of Team USAs four-day minicamp in which Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond participated. Hes helped me so much as a player. There were nights Id be playing so terrible and he calmed me down and I turned my game around. He was a great teacher for us and hes going to do so well with those younger guys in Detroit.

A consistent theme Ive heard in talking with more than a half-dozen NBA sources whove crossed paths with Cheeks over the years is that he has a way of instilling confidence in his players. Durant added to the chorus.

He instilled confidence in me every night, he said. Ive been in the league for six years now. Everybody needs that extra push. Hes going to give it to the younger guys. Its a little different when youre the assistant coach and not the head coach. He talked a lot, but not as much as a head coach would. But you could feel his presence. Hes a great leader, he was a great player when he played and hes going to be a really, really good coach for Detroit.

One of the storylines when Cheeks became known as a prominent candidate in Detroit was the impact he could have on Brandon Knight, based on the credit Oklahoma City insiders gave him in the development of Russell Westbrook. Durant saw it firsthand and believes Knight will similarly take to Cheeks methods.

He helped Russell grow a lot, Durant said. He kind of pushed his game over the top. Once we got Mo Cheeks, we knew he was going to grow Russell into the type of point guard he needs to be. Its going to hurt us, him leaving, but were very happy for him.

Brandons going to love him. Wills (Bynum) going to love him. Those guys are really going to love his attitude, his demeanor. Hes always calm. No matter what type of game it is, hes always calm and hes easy to play for.

Cheeks was drawn to Oklahoma City by Scott Brooks, whose relationship with Cheeks goes back to 1988 when Brooks signed with the 76ers as an undrafted free agent and went on to a 10-year NBA career.

I was his rookie, Brooks said. We had a connection. They happened to be my favorite team growing up in California and he was one of my favorite players. The way he played point guard is one of the very best to ever play the game at that position. I had to prove myself every day in practice because I was guarding one of the best players and learning from one of the best players at the position. It was a great advantage I had.

Brooks, like Durant, believes Cheeks will connect with Knight.

Maurice will work him every day and show patience that every player needs, Brooks said. You dont get better overnight. Hes going to help Knight. Hes going to help him be a better player, make better decisions. Theres so many layers of that position that a lot of people dont talk about and he understands those little intricacies it takes to be a successful point guard in this league.

Sam Presti, Thunder general manager, sees a good fit with the Pistons for Cheeks.

What Ive seen from Mo Cheeks, getting to know him as a coach and as a person, is that hes got an unbelievable sense of how to work with everybody. Hes an incredible person and coach and he was a tremendous asset for us as an organization both on and off the court. I think hes going to do a wonderful job in Detroit.

The Thunder and Pistons wrapped up their season series before the 2012-13 season was two weeks old, so its been a while since Durant had seen Monroe and Drummond before getting a glimpse of them in Las Vegas last week. But he likes what he sees of the team Cheeks will get the chance to mold.

I love it, he said. I love Drummond, Greg Monroe, Brandon. Of course, its going to take time. Its all a process. Its not going to come overnight. There are so many great teams and great players in this league that youre not going to be good just quickly. It takes time, but Im sure theyre going to get it.

vCash
    I love it, he said. I love Drummond, Greg Monroe, Brandon. Of course, its going to take time. Its all a process. Its not going to come overnight. There are so many great teams and great players in this league that youre not going to be good just quickly. It takes time, but Im sure theyre going to get it.
    Durant to the Pisrons?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators123 View Post
    Durant to the Pisrons?
    I view Durant as a very loyal guy to his team but he sure loves a lot about our team. We would be so good.

vCash
    Thunder also think that Brooks is a good coach so... yea take it for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ACanadian View Post
    Nope Val shot better from the FT line, that cancels out all other stats.
    Toronto fan on why JVal is better than Drummond.

vCash
    After we kiss Cheeks goodbye in 2 years, Chauncey will be the new HC

vCash
    Yay more news about him being a players coach. I hope for the best but expect nothing.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Yay more news about him being a players coach. I hope for the best but expect nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ACanadian View Post
    Nope Val shot better from the FT line, that cancels out all other stats.
    Toronto fan on why JVal is better than Drummond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenonsense View Post
    $9.99

vCash
    Hope Durant is right on this 1. Also hope Durant would want to join Cheeks in Detroit.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 60-76, games this week vs. Rays (1), Yankees (3), Blue Jays (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    for as much talent as weve brought in there are still alot of concerns as to how it will all come together on the floor Mo Cheeks and staff will be key to a successful season

vCash
    and yes Durant to Detroit would be so damn sweet, maybe if things fall apart in okc but even still he seems too loyal