Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Who is Kevin McHale?

So I wanted to understand more about your guys' coach. I know he was an amazing player, but can one of you maybe go over strengths? Weaknesses?

Being a Sonics fan I catch mostly only games on prime time now that I don't have a team. I always loved Hakeem, and I always thought OKC was dumb for choosing Ibaka over Harden. Plus the more Lakers fans hate Houston the more I like them (I know, I'm evil).

Not gonna bandwagon onto your team. Can't bring myself to be a fan of any NBA team just the game itself, and certain players, but I'd still like a rundown of some of your guys' opinions on stuff if you have the time. Thanks.

vCash
    I think it's safe to say we were all skeptical when we hired him after firing Adelman, and his first season wasn't easy, especially his relationship with Lowry, which probably caused his trade.

He did an awesome job last year developing those young guys. He handled the team very well. And the small-ball offense worked all season. He found a style of play that fit just perfectly the players. He did piss a lot of us in some games with some odd late-game lineups, especially by taking Asik out of the game and not putting him back in when we didn't have the ball. And he takes too much time to call timeouts sometimes. Harden's isolation at the end of games was also reason of concern.

A lot of people here wanted him fired. And there were some good coaching options out there. But I was very pleased with the development of the young guys, granted they are young and should improve, but almost everybody topped my expectations. He also had that huge time away while his daugther was sick, sadly.

He seems perfect for a reulding team, and he was, let's see if he can coach the Rockets in the Playoffs. I think he can.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    He was probably instrumental in landing Dwight so I guess some of you are glad Mchale wasn't fired?

she says go for the championship

vCash
    I hate his play calling sometimes, and by play calling I mean Harden iso. But he did coach us into the playoffs which I didn't expect to make last year, and he did help us land Howard. So yea I'm very happy we didn't fire him.
    Texans Time is here!

vCash
    Just gonna throw in a couple negatives. When we need a play drawn up, it was always hand the ball to Harden and let him iso and he took a 3, which he shot like 29% on (3 point shots off the dribble). I know people say that he was our only scorer last year but, I would've like to see something more creative or at least get Parsons or delfino/Garcia a 3. The other thing was that a his rotations didn't seem to make sense sometimes. I give him a pass on that one though because of the roster turnover

vCash
    Thanks for all the input so far.

What kind of offense does he run exactly? Weren't the rockets pretty poor defensively last year or no?

vCash
    His offense is basically transition relying a lot on three-point shooting. And we played small a lot, with Parsons or Delfino at the 4 and with sometimes Smith at the 5. The problem was, as othres stated, Harden's isolation plays.

Our defense was actually above average, I'd say, when Asik was on the floor. The problem was when he was out and Smith was playing the 5, the offense was better and the defense, worse. I know we were second to last, if I'm not wrong, on points allowed, but that doesn't show the full picture because we led the league in offense possetions, which will obviously led to more opponent offensive possetions. In terms of efficiency we weren't to bad, and when Asik was out there we were kinda good. Someone can post the number, or I can do myself another time.

By the way, reading you talk about the Sonics made me realize how much I miss them in the league and how weird it is that Seattle does not have a team.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros