Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Tigers acquire Jose Veras from the Astros

Tigers acquired RHP Jose Veras from the Astros for OF Danry Vasquez and a player to be named later.
    Veras, 32, had a cool 2.93 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and 44/14 K/BB ratio in 43 innings this year with Houston and could get a shot at saves in Detroit if Joaquin Benoit has some hiccups. Veras is earning $1.85 million this season and carries a $3.25 million team option for 2014. Vasquez, a 19-year-old from Venezuela, was batting .281/.333/.390 with five home runs and nine steals through 96 games this year for Low-A West Michigan.
    rotoworld

Figured it was talked about in the trade deadline thread but posted it anyway because big moves/trades deserve their own thread.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    Hmm.... So does Benoit go back to setup?

vCash
    I think Benoit goes back to set up, which is a role that he has excelled in while in Detroit.
    Veras has looked pretty good over the last several weeks. In his last 10 appearances, 11 innings, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 Ks.

vCash
    I really don't see Benoit going back to set up. Veras has only been a closer this year, so it's not like he's bringing a ton of closing experience. I don't know that I mess with Benoit's role since he's been fairly dominant.

vCash
    Who are the candidates for the PTBNL???
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

vCash
    Don't like it.

vCash
    Don't like Veras? Or getting rid of Vasquez?

vCash
    I don't mind this deal at all because we have a lot of young OF's in our system. Vasquez might come back to haunt us but could also be another Gorkey Hernandez. I see Veras as the 7th/8th inning compliment to Smyly and Benoit. One thing it does is shore up our pen for the stretch drive. Now if we can get Pastornicky from Atlanta in case (when) Peralta gets his suspension, we'd be all set.

vCash
    Surprised we gave up Vasquez, but you gotta give in order to get

vCash
    I'm thinking this is our one move at the deadline. Got our BP help and roll with the guys we have. If we really are desperate the waiver deadline would be able to help bail the team out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    Don't like Veras? Or getting rid of Vasquez?
    Getting rid of Vasquez... and we still have the PTBNL which might be another solid prospect...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Getting rid of Vasquez... and we still have the PTBNL which might be another solid prospect...
    I totally understand but you have to admit the two things we grow on the farm are pitching and OFs...if there was a surplus of anything to give, it was certainly OFs. Besides, 2014 starting OF of Castellanos, Jackson, Hunter, with Garcia as the 4th is outstanding right!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    I totally understand but you have to admit the two things we grow on the farm are pitching and OFs...if there was a surplus of anything to give, it was certainly OFs. Besides, 2014 starting OF of Castellanos, Jackson, Hunter, with Garcia as the 4th is outstanding right!?!
    Yeah I just don't like giving up young prospects for a reliever.

vCash
    I've learned that if Dumbrowski is trading a prospect it is a good thing for us. If he's willing to part with the player he must know something we don't.

vCash
    Don't love it. Don't hate it. If health wasn't an issue, I would have loved Crain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast