Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What should the Mets do?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy - LETS MAKE A RUN!

1 4.55%
  • Sell - Get prospects for people like Murphy/Parnell/Byrd

11 50.00%
  • Stay the Course - Just leave things as is

10 45.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

With a few days left before the trade deadline: Sell - Buy - Keep?

So, what should we do as a team?

Do we keep the guys we have and hope for a run?

Do we trade FOR a marginal player to help us out?

Do we trade away valuable assets for this year (Parnell, Byrd, Murphy) for prospects/bigleager?

With a few days left, I think this is the do or die moment. So what do you think the Mets should do? Go for a run or sell off their valuable in-season assets for prospects (2014-2015 are the "important" years)?

Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE out of timeouts
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -PF is pushed to the 3 point line
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players
    -HORRIBLE management of players and motivation

[QUOTE=Knick4Knack;22330620]
    Go out on your front lawn, take a dump and see how long your neighbors will talk about that little slice of life. That's what Mike D did to this franchise./QUOTE]

vCash
    Unless they get floored for Parnell and/or Byrd, I expect them to stand pat.

There aren't a lot of impact names being thrown around.

The best pitcher available seems to be Peavy and bat being Rios. Too many teams in division races and WC chases to move significant pieces.

vCash
    Any real fan wants to see buy. But we all know as Mets fan that ownership is not dedicated to this year, 2014 is where its at. Try and move Byrd, Murph, and Parnell for guys that can get us going in the future. Parnell is now expandable in my book because of the emergence of German (not sure if he is closer material but he has been a great pen arm.) Don't forget about Mejia too, he can be an excellent number 5 or pen arm. We can afford to get rid of pieces like Byrd, Murph, or Parnell because if the Wilpons let Sandy spend next season we will have a much more quality team.

vCash
    Should have made the votes public

vCash
    Well, I know we can "afford" to get rid of people like Duda lol. And Ruben Tejada. And 1 of the SP's. But that's it right now.

Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players

Go out on your front lawn, take a dump and see how long your neighbors will talk about that little slice of life. That's what Mike D did to this franchise./QUOTE]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Should have made the votes public
    does it matter?

Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players

vCash
    I voted for get prospects. I know we are having an impressive run right now but will it last? Management swears up and down that we are going to be able to have a better team for next season so why not sell high on some of our guys right now that are expendable? Parnell blew some games this year and he is still a quality reliever in a market right now that is demanding solid relief pitchers to get them to the post season.

We can make some solid deals, and I'd be rather disappointed if we fetch an offer on say a top 50 or even 100 prospect. They can only help us go forward and Byrd is 35 - 36 years old why not sell high? You don't know if he will be able to produce like this next season. We have Matt DD, Puello (if not suspended) so we can afford to deal him. And Murph, that guy is streaky as hell. I love him, but he doesn't have to be part of our future plans if we get the right deal for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jimm120 View Post
    does it matter?
    I like to see what people are thinking. I can kind of guess but I don't know for sure.

vCash
    The only guy I would seriously consider trading is Parnell if there is a demand for him. Maybe Byrd, but it depends.

I don't want to crush this unit on the field right now. Parnell has been good but he's replaceable being that he is a reliever.

vCash
    I don't want to trade prospects for marginal major leaguers.

If they can maximize value for Byrd and Parnell, then do it. That said, i don't expect teams to overpay for Byrd or Parnell to the point where the Mets pull the trigger though.

vCash
    Trade Byrd if he nets a good return but if they don't offer anything good start talking about a cheap extension with like 3 mill with a mutual option.

The Future

vCash
    Byrd...I doubt he'll repeat these numbers again next year. Hell, I don't think he'll be this good in the 2nd half. So I'm ok with trading him. Problem comes from what can you get for him? Just his age will have teams offering a player that is only in the top 30-50 in their organization. I'd love a top 100 prospect (overall) or a top 8 from a team's minor league system. But I doubt that will happen.

Parnell....I'm torn with him. It took so long to groom him to be a closer. But seeing his past makes me think that he's just overachieving now. It'd be great to have him as our closer for the 2014-16 seasons, when we're successful. But now is the time to decide if we sell high on him or if we trust him to be our closer for the next 2-3 seasons.

Personally...I'd trade both. But I'm not adverse to keeping Byrd (ONLY for this year) and keeping Parnell at closer. But this is the time to trade both if you want them at their highest value.

Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players

vCash
    Nvm..
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-27-2013 at 01:43 AM.

vCash
    They should be buyers in that they should be willing to take on extra salary to improve the team long-term, they certainly shouldn't be buyers in the sense that you go out there and try to push yourself over the top with a few short-term pieces.

I've got no problem moving Byrd if it means getting younger.

I've got no problem moving Parnell if you can get a bat that is close to major league ready, as I feel we have enough pitching to make up for that.

With Murphy as with everyone, it really depends on the deal. If you can get a young, major-league ready 1B-man or SS or OF then I think you have to do that and move Flores to 2nd. Not sure you can get that much for him, though.
    Last edited by StoicSentry; 07-27-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    I want to know what they are making a run at though. They are 10.5 games out of the division and 11 games out of the second wildcard.

They would need to close the gap considerably within the next month and then hope a significant player passes through waivers, goes unclaimed among the teams ahead of them in waiver claims (which won't happen), and then the Mets can make a deal.

Otherwise the only other options are sell, stand pat, or buy for next season and beyond.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast