Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

ANATOMY of a TRANSFORMATION

June 18th to date the Mets have the best W-L in the NL East and one of the best BP ERAs (1.98) in July. What happened? The chronology;

5/29 R. Tejada sent down
    6/8 R. Ankiel released, D. Aardsma signed, 2.45 ERA
    6/9 Davis, Baxter, and Carson sent down. Nieuwenhuis recalled

6/18 Z. Wheeler and J. Satin (.357/.489/.529) make first starts.
    Byrd becomes regular RF (.326/.356/.548) w/ 162 proj. 30-123-135
    Jose Lagares becomes fixture in CF (.321/.356/.481) 162 proj. 84 RBI-81 runs
    S. Rice 1.13 ERA 6/18-

6/19 Eric Young Jr. acquired (.275/.351/.351) proj. 53 RBI-100 runs-63 SB
    6/21 Lucas Duda on DL
    7/3 J. Edgin recalled 0.93 ERA
    7/9 B. Lyon released
    7/12 G. Germen called up, 0.79 whip
    7/14 S. Atchison recalled, 0 ERA

Before 6/18 the Mets were projecting toward a 62-100 record, in the period since they are a 98-64 team. They are now neither a 100 W or L team but Alderson has transformed the team through trial and error along with some good moves and some luck.
    We are 45-53 entering play today, where will finish?

vCash
    Jose Lagares has been the reason.

….Cmon dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Jose Lagares is the future

Jossssssee Josee Josee Joseeee Joooooooseeee

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by NYG+Braves
    Im a Braves fan and im scared to face Harvey way more then Strasburgh. Lol strasburgh dont scare me at all compared to Harvey.

vCash
    LMAO

The crowd tonight is brutal! Jose Lagares will never want to play for the Mets again.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yogib8 View Post
    June 18th to date the Mets have the best W-L in the NL East and one of the best BP ERAs (1.98) in July. What happened? The chronology;

5/29 R. Tejada sent down
    6/8 R. Ankiel released, D. Aardsma signed, 2.45 ERA
    6/9 Davis, Baxter, and Carson sent down. Nieuwenhuis recalled

6/18 Z. Wheeler and J. Satin (.357/.489/.529) make first starts.
    Byrd becomes regular RF (.326/.356/.548) w/ 162 proj. 30-123-135
    Jose Lagares becomes fixture in CF (.321/.356/.481) 162 proj. 84 RBI-81 runs
    S. Rice 1.13 ERA 6/18-

6/19 Eric Young Jr. acquired (.275/.351/.351) proj. 53 RBI-100 runs-63 SB
    6/21 Lucas Duda on DL
    7/3 J. Edgin recalled 0.93 ERA
    7/9 B. Lyon released
    7/12 G. Germen called up, 0.79 whip
    7/14 S. Atchison recalled, 0 ERA

Before 6/18 the Mets were projecting toward a 62-100 record, in the period since they are a 98-64 team. They are now neither a 100 W or L team but Alderson has transformed the team through trial and error along with some good moves and some luck.
    We are 45-53 entering play today, where will finish?
    This team is playing some good baseball right now.
    And if they can close out today's game and with Harvey pitching tonight, we will be tied for 3rd in the East.

You know what Yogi, "Ya Gotta Believe"!

By the way, Tug was the man.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Aardsma is a guy I thought was done physically, but I really like what I seen from him and hope the Mets resign him. I dunno what his contract status is, if he still has options or not, regardless resign him. I think he can be a very good set up man for Parnell

vCash
    it has been fun to watch baseball again

vCash

The changing of the narrative

I was going to start my own thread on this but it's pretty much the same these as Yogi's. Anyway, mine was about the changing of the narrative, how the conversation changed in just a few short months.

You only have to go back to the Michael Bourne debate, and whether he was worth the money and whether he was worth surrendering a top pick and whether we even had to surrender that top pick if we had just fought a little harder with MLB to protect it as should have been in our rights.

But even the Michael Bourne story was but a microcosm of a much larger narrative. That Sandy and DePo were real good at trading All Stars for prospects but rather inept at bringing in major league talent. The list seemed endless: Brad Eamus, Whatever his first name was Hu, Andres Torres, an endless line of crappy relief pitchers, and so on.

His whole legacy seemed to hang on two transactions: Beltran for Wheeler, and Dickey for d'Arnaud, Syndergarrd, Buck, and some Cuban outfielder. We couldnt wait to see the small letter d man. Sundergarrd was still young. Buck? Well, he was someone who was just going to fill d's shoes for a few weeks. Oh, and we also got rid of Thole and Nickeas.

But still, we saw ourselves headed into the season with no outfield, but that wasn't so bad because we still expected big things from Ike; we still had a decent shortstop in Tejada, and maybe even Duda might swat a few over the fence.

Ooops.

Now we thought we were stuck with a team that was going to lost 11, maybe 110 games, with no relief in sight. Sandy was going to keep bringing in Dollar Store talent in Cowgill and Brown and Byrd and even Ankiel and we were going to be asked to watch this funeral parlour of a baseball team. Damned if that wasn't hard to do.

But i guess what makes baseball the amazing game that it is is that sometimes, you just don't know who can do what. Juan Lagares? Who the hell was he? Marlon Byrd 8th in the NL in slugging? What? Josh Satin injecting instant offense? A spare from Colorado becoming our legitimate leadoff hitter/speedster since Jose Reyes?

And team having the best record in the NL East since June 17,

What the hell just happened?

I think this team can top the .500 mark which is more trivial than anything else. But here's the question: Where will our next power hitting corner outfielder come from after we say goodbye to Marlon Byrd at some point?

And of course, that brings us full circle to the original: Will Sandy invest in this team next season to fill anticipated holes? Or will he hope that the next Marlon Byrd/Eric Young Jr/Juan Lagares comes out of nowhere again?

Stay tuned. But in the meantime, enjoy the ride.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Aardsma is Rice product who long has been out of options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I was going to start my own thread on this but it's pretty much the same these as Yogi's. Anyway, mine was about the changing of the narrative, how the conversation changed in just a few short months.

You only have to go back to the Michael Bourne debate, and whether he was worth the money and whether he was worth surrendering a top pick and whether we even had to surrender that top pick if we had just fought a little harder with MLB to protect it as should have been in our rights.

But even the Michael Bourne story was but a microcosm of a much larger narrative. That Sandy and DePo were real good at trading All Stars for prospects but rather inept at bringing in major league talent. The list seemed endless: Brad Eamus, Whatever his first name was Hu, Andres Torres, an endless line of crappy relief pitchers, and so on.

His whole legacy seemed to hang on two transactions: Beltran for Wheeler, and Dickey for d'Arnaud, Syndergarrd, Buck, and some Cuban outfielder. We couldnt wait to see the small letter d man. Sundergarrd was still young. Buck? Well, he was someone who was just going to fill d's shoes for a few weeks. Oh, and we also got rid of Thole and Nickeas.

But still, we saw ourselves headed into the season with no outfield, but that wasn't so bad because we still expected big things from Ike; we still had a decent shortstop in Tejada, and maybe even Duda might swat a few over the fence.

Ooops.

Now we thought we were stuck with a team that was going to lost 11, maybe 110 games, with no relief in sight. Sandy was going to keep bringing in Dollar Store talent in Cowgill and Brown and Byrd and even Ankiel and we were going to be asked to watch this funeral parlour of a baseball team. Damned if that wasn't hard to do.

But i guess what makes baseball the amazing game that it is is that sometimes, you just don't know who can do what. Juan Lagares? Who the hell was he? Marlon Byrd 8th in the NL in slugging? What? Josh Satin injecting instant offense? A spare from Colorado becoming our legitimate leadoff hitter/speedster since Jose Reyes?

And team having the best record in the NL East since June 17,

What the hell just happened?

I think this team can top the .500 mark which is more trivial than anything else. But here's the question: Where will our next power hitting corner outfielder come from after we say goodbye to Marlon Byrd at some point?

And of course, that brings us full circle to the original: Will Sandy invest in this team next season to fill anticipated holes? Or will he hope that the next Marlon Byrd/Eric Young Jr/Juan Lagares comes out of nowhere again?

Stay tuned. But in the meantime, enjoy the ride.
    Puello.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Hopefully.

vCash
    I think the Mets create their own luck w Hairstons and Byrds. Not that they saw it coming, but for the way they have treated that hole in the roster. They looked underneath many stones before they settled on Byrd - baxter brown vspin ankiel cowgill etc. Theyve done it before w guys like Endy or Pagan. Hell you can even look at the million dollar OF that reached the WS in 2000.

not saying you can fill a whole roster like that, not at all. BUT the Giants and Rays have been recent powerhouses with only a few key bats and a patch job everywhere else. I think w their stadium they should invest in pitching and defense and be very careful with the mercenary bats. Careful doesnt mean avoid though.

It is definitely more difficult to deal with guys underperforming that you cant move, like Bay or Castillo or Ollie or Ike, than it is to just flush the crap until you come up with guys that can make at least a neutral or positive impact. Thats what we are seeing on the field now
    Chasing 90
    12-10, .545 2.5 GB
    METER: 88-74

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I think the Mets create their own luck w Hairstons and Byrds. Not that they saw it coming, but for the way they have treated that hole in the roster. They looked underneath many stones before they settled on Byrd - baxter brown vspin ankiel cowgill etc. Theyve done it before w guys like Endy or Pagan. Hell you can even look at the million dollar OF that reached the WS in 2000.

not saying you can fill a whole roster like that, not at all. BUT the Giants and Rays have been recent powerhouses with only a few key bats and a patch job everywhere else. I think w their stadium they should invest in pitching and defense and be very careful with the mercenary bats. Careful doesnt mean avoid though.

It is definitely more difficult to deal with guys underperforming that you cant move, like Bay or Castillo or Ollie or Ike, than it is to just flush the crap until you come up with guys that can make at least a neutral or positive impact. Thats what we are seeing on the field now
    The Mets threw enough **** against the wall this year that some was bound to stick as far as low risk guys, lucky for them that Byrd is having one of his best years as a pro.

Now you have to always sign guys like these and hope one or 2 pay dividends, but eventually you have to pay a guy that is likely to be that good based on recent performance.

vCash
    They're definitely a resilient bunch, and I love that. Very rarely have we seen them have two poor games in a row since their poor displays after the Yankees sweep.