Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Schierholtz Trade Thread

With the Soriano deal done, Nate seems like the next domino (and possibly the last that's really worth anything) about to fall. With only 5 days left til the deadline, might as well track the progress as closely as possible.

Looks like the Pirates are probably in the driver's seat:

PHOENIX -- The trade winds continue to blow around the Chicago Cubs' veteran players.

Although the major trade story centers on Alfonso Soriano and a possible return to the New York Yankees, other potential pieces for playoff-contending teams are on display for teams to consider.

Cubs right fielder Nate Schierholtz, who had been battling injuries recently, put himself in position to possibly be playing meaningful baseball in October with his performance Wednesday night. Schierholtz drove in what proved to be the winning run in the 12th inning of a 7-6 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks.

"For Nate, that was kind of back to the way he was before he got beat up a little bit," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "He had a huge game and he missed another home run to left."

Schierholtz had a career-high five RBIs, including a three-run home run and an RBI single to go along with the game-winning double.

According to scouting sources, the NL Central-contending Pittsburgh Pirates have been watching Schierholtz for more than a month. The Pirates have had Schierholtz and Chicago White Sox right fielder Alex Rios at the top of their wish list, hoping to acquire more offense for the stretch run as they battle the St. Louis Cardinals for division supremacy.

"That's out of our control," said Schierholtz, responding to a question about possibly being traded. "It happens, but I love being a Cub. I hope to stay here, but you never know what will happen in the next week. All we can do is go out there and focus on trying to win games."

There were 10 scouts in attendance Wednesday, and they were watching numerous Cubs players who more than likely are available for trade.

"I think it is fair to say we have some players who can help other clubs," said Theo Epstein, Cubs president of baseball operations. "That would espec
    ially be true for players who are not under contract control next season."

Schierholtz has hit home runs in back-to-back games for the first time since Aug. 14-15, 2011.
    Nice to see him maximizing his value at the best possible time.

vCash
    See us getting something good if we move suregotaholtzofit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    See us getting something good if we move suregotaholtzofit.
    Not me. Probably another guy not in the top 20 of the Pirates minor leagues. Another A ball pitcher with upside, at best. To me, no one else on the team, that they would actually consider trading, is going to bring anything back that will even be a starting major league ballplayer. Maybe if they bunched guys together for one prospect they might get a guy who cracks their top 20 list. Other than that I don't see Scherholtz, Gregg, DeJesus, Barney or Villanueva bringing a guy back who would be better than the first 20 prospects the Cubs already have. Russell probably would, but I really do not want them to trade Russell.

vCash
    Well you won't have to worry about Theo trading him then, he's worth way more than a barely top 20 spec.

vCash
    I doubt Nate gets traded with his option for next year

NT of the Future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    Well you won't have to worry about Theo trading him then, he's worth way more than a barely top 20 spec.
    Really? What do you think he is worth on his own? I actually looked up his career numbers and he is a little better than I thought he was. But still, honestly, what do you expect for Nate? Flip the scenario around. Would you trade Vitters for Scheirholtz if the Cubs were in the pennant race and you needed a hitter? Is Vitters even a top 20 prospect for the Cubs? Not being a smart ***. I might be wrong about what they can get back. What do you feel is fair value for Nate?

vCash
    I don't really want to think what I'd give for Nate because I've been up all night, my midnight shift is almost over and I'm tired. However, since I think he's a good fill in for the next year he's more valuable to us. Or OF specs aren't due up til 2015.

vCash

Schierholtz Trade Thread

I'd trade him if that deal was worth it.

Trade DeJesus instead.

vCash
    Going off of what some stuff I've heard, Nate is going to net a top-7 spec and was rumored to be added with an arm Gregg/Russell to increase the value into the top-5 range plus top-10...Pirates have been the most interested in Nate and could also use Russell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Really? What do you think he is worth on his own? I actually looked up his career numbers and he is a little better than I thought he was. But still, honestly, what do you expect for Nate? Flip the scenario around. Would you trade Vitters for Scheirholtz if the Cubs were in the pennant race and you needed a hitter? Is Vitters even a top 20 prospect for the Cubs? Not being a smart ***. I might be wrong about what they can get back. What do you feel is fair value for Nate?
    I would certainly make that deal if it was the other way around. In fact, with Schierholtz under team control for another year, and Soriano now gone, I really don't want to see him moved unless we get a significant piece. It won't be easy to find a 2-3 win player for what he is going to make in arbitration. And while I don't expect them to go out and try to be the best team in baseball in 2014, I will be pretty upset if they aren't trying to make the playoffs. Schierholt would be a nice player who can help the Cubs win next year but won't block any prospects or big signings moving forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BestINtheWORLD View Post
    Going off of what some stuff I've heard, Nate is going to net a top-7 spec and was rumored to be added with an arm Gregg/Russell to increase the value into the top-5 range plus top-10...Pirates have been the most interested in Nate and could also use Russell.
    Top 7 to 10 in the Pirates organization for Scheirholtz and he is gone IMO. I realize he has another year of team control but to me they can find another guy like him next off season, if they wanted to go that route. If you can get a solid prospect for him you have to do it IMO. However, I am not so sure I would want to add Russell just to get a little better prospect. He is the only lefty in the pen and he is valuable. And the pen is the area they need to strengthen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jpro611 View Post
    I doubt Nate gets traded with his option for next year
    I don't think he has one. If he did, he could have both a lot more value and a better chance of being retained.

Dejesus has a team option for 2014, but I believe Schierholtz is a free agent.

The Pirates do make a lot of sense, and if they packaged him with a somebody like Gregg or Russell, I could see them getting a pretty solid return from that system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thornga2 View Post
    I don't think he has one. If he did, he could have both a lot more value and a better chance of being retained.

The Pirates do make a lot of sense, and if they packaged him with a somebody like Gregg or Russell, I could see them getting a pretty solid return from that system.
    He doesn't have an option, but he's arb eligable next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thornga2 View Post

Nate isn't eligible for FA this offseason. The Cubs (or whomever trades for him) have him under control for another year via arbitration.

vCash
    I could see some Schierholtz/reliever type of trade with the Pirates. They are in need of both (now that their closer is on the DL), and they have a great farm system now to choose from. Should be fun to see what happens in the next few days.
    LETS GO CUB-BIES!
    DA BULLS!
    BEAR DOWN, CHICAGO BEARS!
    I-L-L! I-N-I!

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast