Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Colts sign former Rugby Player Daniel Adongo -- Release Weslye Saunders

ADONGO A MARCUS POLLARD IN WAITING?????
    Posted by craigkelleycolts on July 25, 2013 – 4:15 pm

Ryan Grigson likely never sleeps.

In his first year with the Colts, Grigson pulled off more than 250 transactions. He plucked talent from the AFL, IFL, UFL and CFL.

The IFL featured eight players per side who clashed on a 50-yard field. Tight end Dominique Jones was Grigson’s find from that league.

On the near eve of training camp, Grigson has mined new fields, signing rookie linebacker Daniel Adongo – a now-former rugby player.

“We are excited as an organization with the acquisition of Daniel Adongo,” said Grigson. “He is not only an elite athlete and rising international rugby player, but he is an exceptional competitor and human being that has the right makeup for our sport. We all look forward to watching his growth and development in the ensuing weeks.”

Adongo, 6-5, 257 pounds, is a 23-year-old Kenyan national who most recently played for the Southern Kings of Super 15 Rugby, the highest level of pro rugby in the world. Previously, he played in the 2012 Varsity Cup for the University of Pretoria Tuks and is currently working towards earning his degree from the school. In 2011, Adongo was signed by the Vodacom Blue Bulls, but was released from his contact after six months to join the New Zealand ITM Cup team Counties Manukau.

Adongo graduated from Strathmore High School (Nairobi, Kenya) in 2006 and attended the University of South Africa the following year. He also attended the Sharks Academy, a rugby academy accredited by South African Rugby, and made his senior debut in the 2010 Vodacom Cup. In addition, Adongo played for the Kenya Harlequins junior team before going on to play for Kenya’s U-18 and U-19 national teams.

Given Grigson’s track record, Adongo may have a shot. If so, Colts fans have related experience, too.

In 1995, Marcus Pollard hit town. He never had played football – only basketball. Even when he was inside the training complex, Pollard did not know what his future held.

When a physician asked what position he played, Pollard responded classically, “I don’t know.”

Pollard had a great Colts career at tight end, finishing with 263 receptions and 35 touchdowns for the Colts and playing 13 years in the league.

Pollard revisited????
    http://blogs.colts.com/

More pass rush?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    This is crazy. It'll be fun to watch this unfold. I'm rooting for the guy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHardColtsfan View Post
    This is crazy. It'll be fun to watch this unfold. I'm rooting for the guy!
    I wonder if this is due to McNary being unable to practice due to his military service?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I want a play where him and Landry hit someone at the same time. Although I believe that would technically be murder.

vCash
    I don't know how much translates from rugby to the NFL...but one thing I do know should is special teams coverage is about as close as you can get. If he makes it I think he has a shot at the very least being a standout with the ST squads.

vCash
    guys guys..... THIS is Daniel Adongo

Physically he is an animal. Hes athletic and BIG. hes listed as an OLB, Im thinking Mathis' Successor or Waldens Displacer. Werner on the opposite side. Just thoughts if he works out for the future. but way down the line.
    Last edited by ombada; 07-27-2013 at 12:33 AM.

"In my eyes, life is likened to christian ideology... its molded into three parts best described by the divine comedy; inferno, purgatorio and paradiso. You can live it in self loathing and pity, obscurity and ambiguity, or with beauty and elegance. Does that make the ideology truth? no, it makes it an irrelevent metaphor." ;p

vCash
    He has some pretty good quotes in this IndyStar article...

ANDERSON, IND. — Daniel Adongo listened to his gut. That resulted in a transoceanic flight, his first visit to the United States and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

At the beginning of the week, Adongo, a world-class rugby player, was in Johannesburg, South Africa. Saturday morning, he was reporting to Anderson University as a 6-5, 257-pound outside linebacker with the Colts.

Adongo admitted his exposure to the NFL is limited to occasionally watching the Super Bowl or a conference championship game.

“I’m pretty much starting from scratch,” he said. “But I’m a quick learner.”

Linebackers coach Jeff FitzGerald described Adongo as a “clean canvas.”

Adongo said the Colts first expressed an interest three or four weeks ago via email.

“To get an email from a National Football League team, you definitely know they’re not kidding,” he said.

Agreeing to his rookie contract was just the first step for Adongo. Next came getting from Johannesburg to Indianapolis. That meant a 16-hour flight from South Africa to Atlanta, followed by a short connection to Indianapolis Tuesday.

Then came introductions to team personnel and a crash course on the rules and intricacies of the NFL, including how to put on a uniform.

“He tried to put on his helmet and he was struggling with it,” said linebacker Bjoern Werner, the team’s first-round draft pick. “It’s like, wow, you got the chance to come to an NFL camp and (you’ve) never played football.

“That’s something special.”

Adongo’s raw talent caught the personnel staff’s eye. Once he’s able to acclimate himself to his new surroundings — and new sport — he expects his rugby traits to be an asset. Initially, he’ll be used as a pass rusher.

“A lot of stuff I was doing in rugby correlates,” he said. “A lot of tackling. A lot of aggression. A lot of physicality.”

What does he bring to the Colts?

“Servitude, loyalty, aggression, physicality and being a team man,” he said. “Being the person I am, I went with my gut feeling. If something feels right, I’m not going to dodge (it) or second-guess myself.

“Rugby is always going to be there. To have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity felt right to me.”
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...how-put-helmet

Honestly sounds like he's going to be a beast.

<3