vCash

The Race to the Bottom: Astros vs Blue Jays July 25-28

Houston Astros

VS

Thursday July 25, 7:07 PM EST

vs
    Erik Bedard.........Mark Buehrle
    3-7, 4.41 ERA........5-7, 4.83 ERA

Bo Porter is defending Bedard's decision to remove himself from Saturday night's game against Seattle with a no-hitter in the seventh inning because of a pitch count of 109 and says he wouldn't have let the left-hander stay in past 120 pitches. Bedard chose to leave the game with one out in the seventh because he had 109 pitches, saying ``I've had three shoulder surgeries. I'm not going over 110 (pitches). I'd rather pitch a couple more years than face another batter.''

uehrle was charged with four runs (three earned) on 10 hits and three walks, while striking out five over seven innings, in a a loss to the Rays on Saturday. Buehrle was able to keep the ball in the yard, after surrendering three home runs in his last start, but the Blue Jays were unable to climb out of an early hole. Much to his credit, however, Buehrle gave his team a chance to get back into it with four scoreless innings to close the outing.

Friday July 26, 7:07 PM EST

vs
    Jordan Lyles.........R.A. Dickey
    4-4 4.78 ERA........8-11 4.75 ERA

Lyles said that he lacked command of his fastball during his start Sunday against the Mariners, the Houston Chronicle reports. An error that could have been a double play in the second inning left Lyles with runners at first and second and nobody out, instead of a two-out situation with the bases empty. The inning spiraled out of control, including a Nick Franklin grand slam, but Lyles took responsibility for the big inning while suggesting that good pitchers would have continued to work effectively through a difficult spot. Lyles' recent struggles could jeopardize his job in the Astros' rotation, but manager Bo Porter has not hinted at a change just yet.

Dickey took his 11th loss of the season Sunday against the Rays, after giving up four runs on seven hits and a walk over six innings. Dickey struck out eight batters but also served up three dingers, and he's now tied for the major league lead with 23 home runs allowed. While he undoubtedly has more upside than do other pitchers with similar numbers, Dickey still seems unlikely to find his 2012 form before the end of this season. He'll carry a 4.75 ERA and 1.30 WHIP in to his next outing, which is scheduled for Friday against the last-place Astros.

Saturday July 27, 1:07 PM EST

vs
    Dallas Keuchel..........Josh Johnson
    4-5, 4.42 ERA........1-6, 5,66

Keuchel gave up one run over six innings in Monday's 4-3 loss to the Athletics. The Houston bullpen blew a 3-1 lead, so Keuchel's record still stands at 4-5. He was fantastic in June, but had a 6.00 ERA in his last three starts heading in to Monday's game. Keuchel will look to carry the momentum from Monday in to Saturday's outing against the Blue Jays.

Johnson lost for the fourth straight start in Toronto's 14-5 defeat to the Dodgers on Monday. While Johnson gave up a combined three earned runs in 12 innings in the first two games of his four-game skid, he's given up 12 earned runs over eight innings in his last two starts.

Sunday July 28, 1:07 PM EST

vs
    Jarred Cosart.............Todd Redmond
    1-0 0.60 ERA.........1-1 4.32 ERA

Cosart gave up two runs (one earned) on seven hits and three walks with four strikeouts in seven innings Tuesday against the A's. This was Cosart's second major league start and the team called him up from Triple-A Oklahoma City after he was sent back down prior to the All-Star break. He got into a little trouble early, but then settled in after the third inning, and figures to be able to stick in the Astros' rotation after two strong starts to kick off his big league career. He needed 115 pitches Tuesday and he'll be back at it Sunday in Toronto.

Redmond allowed three runs on seven hits over 5.2 innings Tuesday against the Dodgers. He struck out six, walked one and received no decision in the eventual loss. John Gibbons said the Jays would stretch Redmond out, and that they did, as he tossed 103 pitches. This was probably enough for him to hold onto his spot in the rotation for at least another outing or two, if not longer.

Astros-Blue Jays Preview

Erik Bedard likely is hoping a return to his native Canada will also be the end of his four-start losing streak as the Houston Astros begin a 10-game road trip.

The Toronto Blue Jays, though, aren't finding home to be all that cozy as they'll look to end a six-game losing streak at Rogers Centre and a seven-game skid overall in Thursday night's series opener between last-place clubs.

Bedard (3-7, 4.41 ERA), who will be making his first start in Ontario since 2007, suggested a hockey-themed team flight to Toronto, where Houston (34-66) begins an extended trip that also has stops in Baltimore and Minnesota.

The left-hander, though, has walked 18 in 23 innings during his losing streak. He had 10 strikeouts and a no-hitter going when he exited with one out in the seventh inning against Seattle on Saturday, but his five walks led to three runs - one earned - and he ended up suffering a 4-2 defeat.

Despite not allowing a hit, Bedard had thrown 109 pitches, matching the same number he threw in his previous start - a 5-0 loss to Tampa Bay on July 14.

"I've had three shoulder surgeries,'' Bedard said. ''I'm not going over 110 (pitches). I'd rather pitch a couple more years than face another batter.''

Bedard is 0-3 with a 5.40 ERA in his last seven starts against Toronto, but he hasn't faced the club since last pitching at Rogers Centre six years ago. He's had some success against current Blue Jays hitters, though, as Melky Cabrera is just 3 for 21 lifetime off Bedard.

He'll look to help get the Astros on track after they fell 4-3 to Oakland on Wednesday for their 17th defeat in 21 games.

"We're going to play a long road trip, but it's also against some good teams," first baseman Brett Wallace said. "We just need to go out there and stay focused and just try to win every series."

The Blue Jays (45-55) have been swept in both of their series since the All-Star break, each coming in Toronto as part of their 10-game homestand that ends Sunday.

They were one out away from victory Wednesday, but Colby Rasmus' error in center field allowed the tying run to score in the ninth before the Dodgers exploded for a five-run 10th to win 8-3.

The Blue Jays haven't lost eight straight overall since a nine-game skid from May 19-27, 2009, and they haven't suffered a seven-game home losing streak since dropping their first eight of 2004.

"I thought we were rock bottom last night,'' manager John Gibbons said, referring to his club blowing a five-run lead in Tuesday's 10-9 loss. "I guess not.''

Starter Mark Buehrle will try to end some personal struggles, as his last two starts haven't gone very well.

Buehrle (5-7, 4.83) allowed eight runs - his most in four years - through six innings of an 8-5 loss at Baltimore on July 12, then gave up four runs and a season worst-tying 10 hits in seven frames of Saturday's 4-3 loss to Tampa Bay.

After going 3-1 with a 2.13 ERA from May 22-June 19, Buehrle is 1-3 with a 5.52 ERA over his last five outings.

"I can't pinpoint what's going on. It's frustrating," Buehrle said.

The left-hander hasn't faced the Astros since allowing one run in eight innings of a 6-3 win June 10, 2007, while pitching for the White Sox.

Houston has won five of six all-time meetings with Toronto.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/A...eview-17295389
    Last edited by StealingSigns; 07-25-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    Damn this is gunna be a tough series

vCash
    Stros sweep us aside behind Brett Wallace book it.

vCash
    Need to get swept here, keep tanking.

vCash
    yeah, just keep tanking! no joke

vCash
    This is all kinds of depressing

vCash
    tank

vCash
    I am saying that Jays will sweep the Astros to get some moral boost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    I am saying that Jays will sweep the Astros to get some moral boost.
    Even if that were to happen...

Would it really be that much of a boost? The Astros are horrible.

vCash
    The Astros ****ing suck

vCash
    lmao if astros win this series
    hate gibby - as a manager
    I'm a strong believer a manager's tone can be v. important.

to me, gibby is the JPA of managers... some skill but to many failing grades.
    Last edited by ah nuts; 07-25-2013 at 06:49 PM.

vCash
    Even Joe Maddon had years in which his win totals were in the 60's.

I'm pretty sure this is on the players...

vCash
    Yeah I don't see Gibby asking all 6 of the starting pitchers to suck or get injured. AA didn't forecast their performance correctly and didn't account for the issues that having two incredibly injury prone starters in JJ and Morrow bring forth.

vCash
    Did Davis ground into a DP on a 3-2 pitch

and if yes is Gibbons alive? why the **** is Reyes not running in that situation

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    on the bright side, Drew Hutchison just hit 97 in his rehab start with Dunedin

4 IP 1 H 1 BB 8 K

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast