Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

MSG to be relocated?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/ny...-nytimes&_r=1&

Madison Square Garden, home to the Knicks, the Rangers, the Ice Capades, the circus and the “Fight of the Century” between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier in 1971, received an eviction notice of sorts on Wednesday.
    Connect With NYTMetro

The New York City Council notified the arena that it has 10 years to vacate its 45-year-old premises and find a new home, the Garden’s fifth since it opened in 1879.

By a vote of 47 to 1, the Council voted to extend the Garden’s special operating permit for merely a decade — not in perpetuity, as the owners of the Garden had requested, or 15 years, as the Bloomberg administration had intended.

Ten years should be enough time, officials said, for the Garden to find a new location and for the city to devise plans for an expanded Pennsylvania Station, which currently sits below the Garden, and the redevelopment of the surrounding neighborhood.

“This is the first step in finding a new home for Madison Square Garden and building a new Penn Station that is as great as New York and suitable for the 21st century,” said Christine C. Quinn, the City Council speaker. “This is an opportunity to reimagine and redevelop Penn Station as a world-class transportation destination.”

Ms. Quinn renewed her call for the creation of a commission to devise the plans.

Civic leaders and some developers have long sought to rebuild Penn Station, a cramped and crowded maze for the more than 500,000 people a day who traverse it. But doing so would be an enormously complicated, multibillion-dollar undertaking that has foiled officials in the past. And anything can happen in the next 10 years, including several elections for mayor and governor.

James L. Dolan, who controls the Garden, the Knicks and the Rangers, offered a low-key response to the news that barely acknowledged the 10-year deadline. Mr. Dolan expects to complete this fall a $968 million overhaul of the Garden, which has been closing in its off-seasons to accommodate the work.

“Madison Square Garden has operated at its current site for generations, and has been proud to bring New Yorkers some of the greatest and most iconic moments in sports and entertainment,” Mr. Dolan’s company said in a statement issued Wednesday afternoon. “We now look forward to the reopening of the arena in the fall of 2013.”

Mr. Dolan announced the latest renovation of the Garden in 2008, just after the last $14 billion effort to move the Garden and transform the train station collapsed amid a severe recession, insufficient financing, an absence of political leadership and overreaching by the developers selected for the job.

Late last year, the Regional Plan Association and the Municipal Art Society used the Garden’s application for an extension of its permit to resurrect the idea. The Bloomberg administration recommended a 15-year extension. But that city proposal also allowed the city’s Planning Department to further extend the permit if officials failed to come up with plans for a new station, and the Garden and the transit operators agreed on a plan for improved access to the station.

“Our goal from the outset was to improve Penn Station. In fact, our proposal would have required government leaders to come together and develop a plan to do just that,” said Julie Wood, a spokeswoman for Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

Critics derided the Bloomberg administration for including what they described as a loophole. Ms. Quinn, who is a Democratic candidate for mayor, called instead for a firm 10-year extension. Bill de Blasio and John C. Liu, two other candidates, also called on the Garden to move. Joseph J. Lhota, a Republican candidate and a former executive at the Garden, and William C. Thompson Jr., a Democrat, backed the Garden.
    What the ****?

Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post

The division is going to be ran by the Sixers and Raptors in three years. Book it.

vCash

vCash
    this is bulls**t!

vCash

vCash

MSG to be relocated?

Didn't they just spent millions and millions of dollars to remodel the place?

vCash
    So what are they gonna tear down/who are they gonna evict to build a new arena? There isn't exactly an overabundance of free space in NYC. It seems like the location right now is perfect right across from Grand Central Station.

vCash
    Better not be moving out of Manhattan.

KNICKS PATS SOX

vCash
    Dolan had asked to move to another location due to the age and condition of MSG over 3 years ago he was shut down and denied, so he spent a billion dollars to renovate it while raising ticket prices for the last 3 years, just to be moved in 10 years. That smell like a ****ing leaching sack a **** to me by the city. They took his 1 billion in cash that he put up himself and now telling him to move again on probably the taxpayer's dime and when it comes to renovate Penn Station it will also be on the taxpayer's dime also. Man living in NYC is going to be for the upper rich only soon.

I doubt Dolan is going to shell out another billion to build a new arena this time.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    “I will be the first to admit that I am a pessimist by nature. It is, after all, the wisest way to be. We pessimists have everything to gain, whereas optimists have a fifty-fifty chance of being disappointed.”
    ― Tamar Myers
    “Don't let them drag you down by rumors just go with what you believe in.”
    ― Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesaw4343 View Post
    So what are they gonna tear down/who are they gonna evict to build a new arena? There isn't exactly an overabundance of free space in NYC. It seems like the location right now is perfect right across from Grand Central Station.
    Where across from Grand Central, it all big building's and no space. Also with the UN down the block from the station it will never happen.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    “I will be the first to admit that I am a pessimist by nature. It is, after all, the wisest way to be. We pessimists have everything to gain, whereas optimists have a fifty-fifty chance of being disappointed.”
    ― Tamar Myers
    ― Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asianpersuasion View Post
    Didn't they just spent millions and millions of dollars to remodel the place?
    Actually ONE BILLION. I'm the last person to feel sorry for Jim Dolan, but this should not be allowed to happen. Maybe he should consider an attempt to have it deemed a 'Historical Sight', thus having it fall under all rights & protections of such stature.

vCash
    I'm a little confused by the directions. Madison Square Garden is not across from Grand Central and it is on the opposite side of Manhattan from the UN. The UN is on 1st and 42nd. Grand Central is Park and 42nd. MSG is 7th and 32nd. I think you guys are confusing Grand Central with Penn Station.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trout1627 View Post
    I'm a little confused by the directions. Madison Square Garden is not across from Grand Central and it is on the opposite side of Manhattan from the UN. The UN is on 1st and 42nd. Grand Central is Park and 42nd. MSG is 7th and 32nd. I think you guys are confusing Grand Central with Penn Station.
    I'm not since my wife works on 42 and Park LOL...I was just stating moving it to Grand Central is out of the question and will never happen.

Hard to confuse Grand Central and Penn Station overall. Penn station has the Post Office right across the street. In which I thought they where going to empty it out to make the new Penn Station in that building. I wonder what happened to those plans and designs they had shown all those years ago.
    Last edited by justcallmetm; 07-25-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    ― Albert Einstein
    ― Tamar Myers
    ― Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trout1627 View Post
    Umm I think you're confused buddy, they're saying that moving to a site near grand central could be a possibility

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    Umm I think you're confused buddy, they're saying that moving to a site near grand central could be a possibility
    There is no space and it would be a nation security issue to build a arena with the UN so close by.
    ― Albert Einstein
    ― Tamar Myers
    ― Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsrock229 View Post
    I'm not confused at all. I never said moving to Grand Central is a possibility. Some other posters said that it's fine where it is now "across from Grand Central." I pointed out that is is not "across from Grand Central" and is is not "near the UN." Where is my confusion? - "Buddy"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast