Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing Pat

vCash

Standing Pat

Dear Pat,

Even without the injuries in 2011, what were they thinking making Miggy our big title defense aquisition? 5 Million for Miggy? Expecting Torres to repeat his awesome fluke career year? Yes, let's waste stellar pitching and not even try to get a hint of offense. Heck fully declined Renteria is still > Miggy.

2013. "hay guyz, I kno! let's try the same thing as 2011!" but let's go one better and downgrade. Yeah, Melky's production had NOTHING to do with pwning the division. Riiiiiight. Let's expect Blanco's nice late season hot streak to transfer into a full year. Better yet, let's platoon him with Torres. Torres worked out just great in 2011 and impressed on the Mets, should totally get him back in there.

Yes, I'm aware that as a platoon LF was working out ok in a smallish sample size. But guess what? Injuries happen. Especially to over-30 speedsters like Pagan. They tend to pull muscles and tendons and such. Then your platoon is no more, and your Torres goes from a decent hitter roleplayer to a liability.

And what if it turns out the homegrown pitchers that you've worked into the ground season after season are human after all? Maybe scraping by and winning by one run isn't sustainable. Maybe someone breaks a finger. Maybe having a little starting depth would be prudent for a 2 in 3 WS winning team raking in fat loads of cash.

Bottom line, your $9 beers aren't going to help this team win. Or even get a bullpen arm or two. No, may as well blow out Kontos Tommy John arm game after game with high pitch counts until his stuff is completely eroded instead.

It wouldn't have taken much to squeeze more of these games out. A decent defensive outfielder (Torres cost us several games out there in my estimation with his inexplicably shakey defense), Affeldt and his big contract being honest about his injury instead of going out and blowing leads game after game.

Nah, let's just toss a career 2B into the outfield and hope the ball isn't hit to him. That'll right the ship!

Yours truly,
    - ZitoAce

PS
    I don't really like you, Pat. But the people that count do. So I guess you'll be around anytime this team does well. I'll try to learn to tolerate you.
    Last edited by ZitoAce; 07-23-2013 at 02:21 PM.

vCash
    (duplicate)

vCash

vCash
    Zitoace / expitcher is my hero

vCash
    Best analysis I've heard of the 2013 season

vCash
    So good.

SF Giants, SF 49ers, Sac Kings since birth.

vCash
    Thank you. Sabean and Co. are THE MOST OVERRATED front office there is. They got lucky and got it done with scrap heap bums. It's amazing lightning struck in a bottle twice. It's amazing they get credit. Our minor league system is crap, our major league team is crap. Good job guys. I appreciate the two World Series, but I expect you to do you damn jobs too. Yes, I was at the 219th consecutive sellout last night, while we got our ***** handed to us 11-0.

PS. I hate you so much Pat.
    Last edited by tadmanny; 07-23-2013 at 04:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    You can't spell Worley without W.

vCash
    ZitoAce 4 president

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    As bad as the offseason was after 2010, what was it that was done after 2011 that translated in to so much success? Traded for Pagan, traded for Melky, and traded for Scutaro (not even going to add Pence to this list since he was so useless).

Any chance this team can pull together similar seemingly small moves that pay off big for next year? I'm not terribly confident. Minimal trade chips and a ton of holes to fill (with a bit more free payroll than previous years). 3/5 of the rotation and the entire outfield will not be easy or cheap to upgrade.
    I'm with you. It will be tough to fill all those holes. That is why it was insane to not make a move or two this offseason.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tadmanny View Post
    I'm with you. It will be tough to fill all those holes. That is why it was insane to not make a move or two this offseason.
    Yep. Things are probably going to get uglier before they get better, which really sucks since we still have a few great pieces to build around.

Sure hope Matt Cain likes going back to losing after giving up 1 or 2 runs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZitoAce View Post
    Dear Pat,

Even without the injuries in 2011, what were they thinking making Miggy our big title defense aquisition? 5 Million for Miggy? Expecting Torres to repeat his awesome fluke career year? Yes, let's waste stellar pitching and not even try to get a hint of offense. Heck fully declined Renteria is still > Miggy.

2013. "hay guyz, I kno! let's try the same thing as 2011!" but let's go one better and downgrade. Yeah, Melky's production had NOTHING to do with pwning the division. Riiiiiight. Let's expect Blanco's nice late season hot streak to transfer into a full year. Better yet, let's platoon him with Torres. Torres worked out just great in 2011 and impressed on the Mets, should totally get him back in there.

Yes, I'm aware that as a platoon LF was working out ok in a smallish sample size. But guess what? Injuries happen. Especially to over-30 speedsters like Pagan. They tend to pull muscles and tendons and such. Then your platoon is no more, and your Torres goes from a decent hitter roleplayer to a liability.

And what if it turns out the homegrown pitchers that you've worked into the ground season after season are human after all? Maybe scraping by and winning by one run isn't sustainable. Maybe someone breaks a finger. Maybe having a little starting depth would be prudent for a 2 in 3 WS winning team raking in fat loads of cash.

Bottom line, your $9 beers aren't going to help this team win. Or even get a bullpen arm or two. No, may as well blow out Kontos Tommy John arm game after game with high pitch counts until his stuff is completely eroded instead.

It wouldn't have taken much to squeeze more of these games out. A decent defensive outfielder (Torres cost us several games out there in my estimation with his inexplicably shakey defense), Affeldt and his big contract being honest about his injury instead of going out and blowing leads game after game.

Nah, let's just toss a career 2B into the outfield and hope the ball isn't hit to him. That'll right the ship!

Yours truly,
    - ZitoAce

PS
    I don't really like you, Pat. But the people that count do. So I guess you'll be around anytime this team does well. I'll try to learn to tolerate you.
    I completely agree. Only problem is, beers are now $10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    I completely agree. Only problem is, beers are now $10.
    Cool, use the profits to resign Torres next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZitoAce View Post
    Cool, use the profits to resign Torres next year.
    That's probably Bochy's bonus money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast